“Standing Room Only (and I Can See Why)!”

El Pescador Fish Market
Ranked #7 of 1,242 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Somebody else here mentioned a parking problem. I didn't have that because the day I came to eat here I walked here with my wife directly from our hotel down on La Jolla Blvd.! (El Pescador was highly recommended by our hotel front desk staff.) But once we got here, yup, it was PACKED. Granted, it's a small restaurant. Not a lot of tables inside or outside. The place was teeming with obvious regulars and some newbies like us. (The fact that it was Saturday afternoon in late August probably had something to do with the crowd!) Still, I took my place in line while my wife held a spot for two at one of the small tables. She ordered some kind of seafood cocktail and two fish tacos. I ordered two fish tacos. She ate. I ate. WOW! They were massive and they were delicious. Best I've ever had. Of course, I'm from Arizona where the only place i usually eat fish tacos is at Rubio's, but I know fresh fish and good cooking when I taste it! Service was quick and courteous. The food was outstanding. Those guys behind the counter were really hopping trying to keep up with all the hungry patrons. But they were efficient and helpful and good at what they do. No hay duda, we will come and eat here again next time we visit La Jolla!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Fantastic food - fish was really fresh and the service was so friendly and helpful. We had cioppino, halibut tacos, and a yellowtail sandwich, and everything was really delicious.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were San Diego and I heard that this was the best place to go for fresh fish !

The fish is so fresh we could see them putting the fish out in the display cases. We ordered the sea bass sandwich and a thresher shark cajun sandwich both with avocado- what a great choice !!

The place is super small and packed- so we ordered and waited for about 20 minutes- but it was worth it !!

I saw that they were opening up a bigger place across the street- hopefully it wont make their prices go up- because the prices were very reasonable !!!

If you are in La Jolla and want a great local place for lunch- this is it !!!

FANTASTIC !!!

1  Thank Miki J
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'm a semi regular. The food is usually pretty good...if you know what to order. The service is usually pretty poor. The attitude behind the counter is so annoying that I might never go back. I don't enjoy being dissed for expecting consistency and quality???

1  Thank AspenSpin
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Someone say fresh fish? Yes, ridiculously good. Get the Salmon burger or the two fish tacos. You can buy many different types of fish fillets, crab, shells, etc.

Parking can be tiresome in this area, but well worth the struggle to get some high quality food.

It is a great that they are opened late too (Past seven anyways) for it is a great food to have after surfing all day.