WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Outstanding, hope they don't lose the atmosphere when they move” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Pescador Fish Market

El Pescador Fish Market
Ranked #8 of 1,245 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Rosa, California
“Outstanding, hope they don't lose the atmosphere when they move”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

across the street. My grandmother lived is a once unassuming neighborhood around this place and I actually remember it from the 70's although i don't think we ever ate here. My husband and I both had salmon burgers - house made patties on a nice roll with added avocado, tomato, lettuce. FIve star and both samples of the soups they offered us to taste were outstanding. I found the guys behind the counter very helpful and friendly, came and wiped off one of the few tables when asked. They are moving across the street and I hope they don't lose the small place ambiance that makes it special. Everything from local mavens with their designer sunglasses to us regular folk. We may even go back a second time during our stay.

1 Thank Kate T

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Good food, crappy service, slow, crowded, no parking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I live nearby and have been to this place several times, & each time my experience has been consistent. Each time I say I will never go back, & today I was reminded why.

Good points:
-the seafood is uber fresh, great variety, & they are very knowledgeable.
-The food (when you finally get it) is consistently very good.
-You can pick a variety of items & they will weigh it out & cook it to order for you.

Drawbacks:
-The service sucks. The guys who staff the counter range from 'don't care' to New York cabdriver rude. Today while there was a huge crowd of people waiting, the guy wrapping up my order stopped everything to ring the bell three times for a pretty girl entering. It was embarrassing for the 20 customers waiting at the counter, & for the girl walking in with her boyfriend. They he asked me what I wanted again?
-The parking is horrible.
-The place is tiny, always crowded with people trying to shout over each other. Today after waiting 20 minutes for my order to grill, I couldn't hardly get back to the counter to pick it up.
-Slow. It consistently takes 15-20 minutes to get a takeout order prepared.

They are building a new location across the street, which may help improve the parking and crowding situation. Unfortunately that may not help the quality of the service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Gourmet food on paper plates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I went because of the reviews. Normally would seek a romantic setting for a vacation dinner, but I really wanted some fresh seafood. Would have paid twice the price for the same meal at a more romantic ambiance, but it wouldn't have been any better than this fish market with paper plates & cups. We had the sea bass and the medium shrimp (which are more like 12/15 count jumbos) and a cup of chowder. They are about to move across the street so they will have more seating...hope it doesn't change the food, because this is really well prepared fresh seafood.

Severna Park, Maryland
“Great seafood sandwich - fresh fish and fresh soft bread.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

After an afternoon at Dana point, we decided to stop in La Jolla for a quick bite. Right off the main road was the fish market and across the street was a large restaurant area being built out for the same place. A good sign. A very small market with fresh seafood like any seafood market. No fish smell. Maybe five tables inside and about that much outside. We ordered fried mahi mahi sandwiches but noted the mussels another couple had. The sandwich was great - moist fish with a little lettuce, tomato and avocado. mmmm Just right. And a colorful crowd to boot. This is not yet a restaurant but I could see it doing well. it hope they keep this as a dining option because you did not have to get fries or anything but a sandwich.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“fresh and delicous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went here after hanging out on the beach. Food was yummy and fresh seating is very limited don't count of getting a seat. They are working on moving into a new building accross the street which is much bigger. Will return again on our next trip.