“Good food, good beer, fair service”

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
Reserve with OpenTable
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive
Description: A lively and casual dining experience, we feature fresh, handcrafted beers brewed on premise and an innovative menu. Our beers range in style from Pale Ales and Light Lagers to Stouts, Belgian-styles and Amber Ales. We also brew many specialty and seasonal beers, all of which are handcrafted by our Brewmaster using his original recipes. The atmosphere is rich in woods and gleaming brewing vessels. Our service is friendly and upbeat. Our moderately priced menu features a medley of items ranging from Fish and Chips to Roasted Chicken and Filet Mignon, a variety of interesting salads, and our world famous White Cheddar mashed potatoes.
so cal
“Good food, good beer, fair service”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had the ribs and chicken combination. My wife liked the 1/2 rack of ribs and there was so much chicken, took it home. I had the hazlenut chicken which was very good. It has a cherry sauce and a ton of hazlenuts around it. The service was a little slow, but not enough to spoil a nice meal.

• Visited December 2012

Pensacola, Florida
“Won't return..”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We walked into the restaurant (having never been there before) to find the male host leaning against what appeared to be a host station. He said nothing to us until we almost passed him. He then said, "Bar or dining room?" and assumed that the female behind us was with us. I had to correct him, and follow him to a table. Our waitress then briefly appeared to tell us that she would be "right with us," which happened 10 minutes later. We placed our entire order at this time, and waited 30 minutes for our food. In the meantime, never once did she come back and check to see if we needed a refill on our drinks. When she did return, I asked for water, which she forgot. Service = POOR. Food = Poor. I ordered a Santa Fe Chicken Salad, which included chopped up pieces of fried chicken that were so beyond breaded, you barely tasted the chicken. There was barely any dressing on the salad, which was also composed of the end pieces of lettuce. My husband ordered ribs and chicken, which appeared to look like cafeteria food, and wasn't that good per him. The restaurant was very loud as well, which was quite disturbing.

Overall, there's an obvious lack of management, with poor food and equally poor service. With all the restaurants in the San Diego area, I will not be back.

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco, California
“poor service”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The restaurant was not packed and we sat at the bar we were a party of 8. It was amazing how slow and unreliable our waitress was. Maybe it wasn't her fault because she was the only one working the bar and the place did get a lot of foot traffic. But she forgot my husband's drink but it was on the house (but they still charged us), our water never got refilled, one of our orders never came. Maybe it was just the wrong day and time.

Visited October 2012
Wall Township, New Jersey
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Historically, this Rock Bottom has been not only a favorite, but a restaurant with very good food and service. Today, the service was just average, not something that we are use to, and while the food was good, it was not up to what we are use to having. Off day? Who knows, will we return yes. And hopefully there will be improvements.

• Visited November 2012
Scotland
“Excellent local”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I don't understand the negative reviews of this excellent bar and restaurant.

Service: I have now been there several times and on each occasion the service has been superb.

Ambience: I think it's very good. Lively but without being too noisy. There are separate bar and restaurant areas, but my favourite table is in the restaurant on the edge of the bar, where all human life is there.

Drink: I can't drink beer (coeliac disease), but the choice looks good. The wine list is acceptable to good, if a bit limited and pricey.

Food: With coeliac disease the menu is a tiny bit limiting, so my experience is not typical. However, the restaurant will go out of its way to accommodate. Looked at objectively the choice and quality is excellent. The prices are very reasonable, in my opinion. The steaks and burgers are particularly good. I don't think the food is expensive at all, and represents excellent value for money.

As I've said, I've been several times and will definitely come back. Go for lunch, sit outside, and have a margarita. Or two.

• Visited October 2012