“Not sure what the fuss is about”
Review of Whisknladle

Whisknladle
Reserve with OpenTable
Whisknladle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Herchel
Description: SpecialtiesFrench, Spanish & Italian inspired farm-to-table fare! Happy Hour starts daily at 3 p.m. and includes $8 cocktails, $5 sangria and $4 tapas.HistoryEstablished in 2008Whisknladle is a nationally-acclaimed restaurant located in the heart of beautiful downtown La Jolla, Calif. Renowned for its Spanish, French & Italian inspired farm-to-table fare, Whisknladle was recently awarded both the Critic's Pick and Readers' Choice for "Best Farm-to-Table" restaurant by San Diego Magazine. Corporate Executive Chef, Ryan Johnston, was named "Best Chef" by San Diego Home & Garden readers in 2012 and again by San Diego Magazine readers in 2013.Meet the Business Owner: Arturo K.Whisknladle Hospitality started simply with the serendipitous meeting of one talented chef [Ryan Johnston] and one young entrepreneur [Arturo Kassel] in 2006. Convinced that what San Diego needed was a farm-fresh restaurant that served from-scratch cooking, the pair opened Whisknladle in the heart of La Jolla in 2008. This back-to-basics approach to cooking - or gourmet comfort food - has firmly planted Whisknladle in the hearts of locals and tourists alike.A La Jolla institution with a national following, Whisknladle expanded its concept into another style of restaurants - Prepkitchen. A restaurant designed for cooks by cooks, Prepkitchen focuses on delivering the same farm-fresh and seasonal cuisine at an everyday-eats price. Since opening the first Prepkitchen in La Jolla, the concept has exploded. In 2010, Whisknladle Hospitality opened Prepkitchen Del Mar and then Prepkitchen Little Italy in 2012.Whisknladle Also RecommendsPrepkitchen La Jolla7556 Fay AveLa Jolla, CA 92037Category: American (New)"Inspired by cooks for cooks, Prepkitchen serves artisanal, local fare at an everyday-eats price!"Prepkitchen Del Mar1201 Camino Del MarDel Mar, CA 92014Category: American (New)"Located in downtown Del Mar, Prepkitchen serves artisanal, farm-to-table style cuisine in the city's beautiful, coastal neighborhood environment."Prepkitchen Little Italy1660 India StSan Diego, CA 92101Category: American (New)
CA
“Not sure what the fuss is about”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

After hearing all the fuss about Whisk'n'Ladle, we'd been looking forward to dining at this place. Took an out-of-town visitor with us to check out their latest dinner menu, and were immediately put off by how empty the place was compared to some of its neighbors. Among us, we sampled four dishes, including their house burger and a summer salad, from their ever-changing menu. Everything looked amazing, but ended up being quite average. Given all the hype and the fine-dining pricing, we were disappointed. Perhaps breakfast is better? Not sure we'll be back, though, given our meh experience and the fact that our server didn't make any effort to treat our child as a customer (didn't ask what he wanted, didn't bring him water, didn't give him a menu, even if only symbolically). Sure, it's not really a kid-friendly place, but ignoring a pint-sized diner isn't a way to win over the paying adults in the party.

Visited July 2012

Gilbert, Arizona
“Best in La Jolla”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Do not miss this place when in La Jolla. The food is outstanding. We dined here twice in one week. When the food arrives the portions seem small but the bottom of the plate never appears. I can eat a lot and I was full. If there for brunch be SURE to get the Bisquits and Gravy. Most unique I have ever had. Only on weekend brunch menu. The fish tacos at lunch are the best I have ever had. The menu is very diverse. Would lone to try for dinner.

1 Thank Blumldm
Chandler, Arizona
“Delish!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent a week in La Jolla for family vacation. My husband and I needed a break from family so we rode our bikes from the beach house we rented to downtown La Jolla. After exploring for awhile, we decided it was time for lunch. We walked past this place on our way to Karl Strauss brewery for a few beers & I told my husband I want to have lunch here! So we did and I am glad we did! The patio has an indoor/outdoor feel which I loved since the weather was so nice! We had a very friendly waitress who accommodated my request for a taste of the sauvignon blanc, which was so good I quickly ordered a glass as did my husband. The menu had so many options it was hard to choose. After pondering I decided on the ahi tuna sandwich. I believe this was the best sandwich I have EVER had! Tons of ahi perfectly prepared. My mouth is watering thinking about it! My husband had the fish tacos and thought they were very good! If you are in La Jolla put this on your list as a place to eat because you will not be disappointed. I wish I lived in La Jolla so I could eat there more often!

San Diego
“Wonderful Breakfast”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We decided to try something new for breakfast... we got lucky and found a parking spot in front of this restaurant, and figured... why not give it a try?

For Sunday breakfast, they have a free coffee bar... so coffee is complimentary with your meal. They also have fresh scones/treats available at a "scone bar" for $3. My husband and I shared the egg breakfast that came with bacon and fried potatoes, and we each got a "scone". He had a little fruit tart thing, and I tried a walnut-zucchini-lemon cake with lemon curd. So delicious! The coffee was strong, hot, and fresh too.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“A Funky Place”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

...with a very nice menu. Five of us ate an early dinner here, and the kitchen was all ready for our orders. The food included a flat bread white pizza, rigatoni, two veal breasts and a halibut... plus multiple drinks, unfortunately. Service was outstanding and available immediately at one's need. This place has a vibe that is very eclectic and enjoyable. Really cool (I'm older, so I can use that word). The food was consistently excellent. My wife, who is an expert at eating white pizzas,
raved about hers. The veal breasts also were excellent and were accompanied by a lovely presentation. This is not a place I would go for a romantic evening, but it is a fun, foodie restaurant.

• Visited April 2012