“Best birthday gift for my husband”
Review of Lajollacooks4u

Lajollacooks4u
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled atop Mt Soledad, in beautiful San Diego, Lajollacooks4u offers a very unique hands-on, gourmet cooking and dining experience. Founded in 2008, Lajollacooks4u has experienced tremendous growth and success with major corporations and guests from all over the world! With our very own indoor and outdoor kitchen, organic vegetable and herb garden and spectacular views, Lajollacooks4u is the perfect venue for corporate team-building, large group cooking demonstrations, special occasions, lunches and dinners and for those who simply love to cook! Lajollacooks4u offers a variety of packages including our one-of-a kind Farmer’s Market and Foodie Tours, Weekend Culinary Adventures and hands-on gourmet cooking classes. All our classes are customizes for each group and include a fabulous sit-down gourmet meal, complete with wine pairing. Come see for yourself why Lajollacooks4u has been rated the #1 attraction in La Jolla for over 3 consecutive years!! We specialize in California-influenced cuisine.
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I booked a private cooking class for my husband with La Jolla Cooks 4 U. We both had a fabulous time! He cooks quite a bit already, so I wanted to find a class that could teach healthy, sophisticated recipes that would be new to him. Chef Jodi came up with tasty, interesting recipes that were so good, we immediately recreated many of them over the days that followed our class. In particular, we loved the cracked pepper and olive oil focaccia bread, the incredibly fresh roasted tomato and basil sauce, the salad dressing which had hints of so many flavors, and the five-ingredient molten lava cakes. Our kids ate all the asparagus and leeks soup we brought home. It was also a lovely date night for us because we got to have a leisurely dinner after the class, eating our creations and enjoying the view from Jodi's lovely home. This experience is certainly worth the price -- the privacy and one-on-one attention, the setting, the quality of the food and instruction, and the dinner all in one package can't be beat. We will be back with our daughter the next time!

Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thank you so much Michelle! It was delightful cooking with you and Peter and I can't wait to try your idea of a puréed wild mushroom sauce! We all truly learn from each other! I am so glad you were inspired to recreate some of my recipes at home! I look forward to cooking with you and your family again very soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Jodi was an incredible host and produced an unforgettable experience. The perfect gift for a couple or just people who love food. Her 1 on 1 focus allowed us to learn all kinds of tricks and secrets to simple cooking that you cannot get from tv shows, group classes, or magazines. After an amazing cooking experience, we were served the great food outside in her back yard, with a magnificent view of San Diego. I strongly recommend this class for a special gift or special occasion.

Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you so much Trevor! I had so much fun cooking with you and Kadie! You were both so delightful and eager to learn! I can' t wait to see the pictures of the meal you will recreate!
Wishing you and Kadie much happiness always and a very safe tour of duty. Please stay in touch.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My friends surprised me with an amazing day of cooking and eating. I've been to many cooking classes and I can honestly say that this was one of the best ones. I love and believe in the farm to table concept and love that Jodi uses all her own herbs and any other produce or fruit from her garden when she can. The food was fresh and we all loved the preparations and then sat down to a beutifully set table and thouroughly enjoyed the meal we prepared.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I decided to find a surprise gift for my wife for surviving a surgical residency program with me and found this on TripAdvisor...and we were blown away! Finding a cooking class is very difficult. Not because they are hard to find - but because you are buying what the chef is selling and often they are only willing to sell you one way to cook or one cuisine - fine if that is all that you are looking for. BUT if you are looking for a cooking experience that is truly interactive AND expressive - then take a class with Jodi. She tailored our class (two day weekend culinary adventure) to our palates - selecting out ingredients we told her we didn't like. She also listened to us and our desires about what to learn - fresh farm to table cooking. She put a twist on it with an asian farm to table meal.

But more than anything we were so happy to spend time with Jodi - we spent hours talking about cooking and life and doctoring and California - she even gave us great recommendations about restaurants for the rest of our trip. We left with such a good feeling and FULL STOMACHS!

You will not be disappointed with your experience with her.

chefjodi, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

John and Erica,
You both were so delightful and I had so much fun sharing my kitchen with you!! This Is why I love what I do because I am so blessed to meet such awesome folks who share my same passion for food and cooking! I ove showing folks how easy it is to cook delicious, healthy food. Wishing you both much luck and happiness in your new home in Nashville. Thank you so much and please keep in touch!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

My mother treated me to this wonderful birthday culinary vacation. Chef Jodi's home is so warm and inviting with breathtaking views of San Diego and the coastline. Jodi's passion and love for food shows through as she takes you through her organic garden to harvest herbs and vegetables to use in the kitchen. Her menu and recipes were so easy to prepare, yet elegant and tasty enough for any guest. My mom and I have already prepared many of the dishes we learned from Chef Jodi at home for our families. We also loved the trip to the farmers market, with stand after stand overflowing with fresh and delicious fresh produce. This was a great way to spend special time together as mother and daughter sharing our passion for food and cooking with fellow foodie Chef Jodi!

chefjodi, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear Erica,
I had so much fun with you and your Mother! It was such a delight observing you both try the fresh sea urchin at the Farmers Market! I also love the fact that now I have my very own Food Scientist to call with any questions! Thank you so much for choosing Lajollacooks4u. It was so wonderful having you both.