“Good for 40 Years”

Ranked #2 of 148 Restaurants in La Habra
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We have been dining at El Cholo’s for over 40 years. It used to be a great place for good Mexican food at a decent price. Now it is a place with just good Mexican food. The prices are a bit on the high side, not too much though, just enough to notice. But the food is still very good. The service is excellent. The patio area looks like a nice place to have a drink or meet someone. I prefer to eat here at lunch but dinners are also good. The margaritas are very good. I recommend this place.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

El Torito is the only restaurant I can think of that has the Mexican style decor with chain-quality furnishings - however, El Cholo restaurant has the top notch atmosphere from decor to waiter staff wardrobe, but not a chain restaurant.

The lunch specials are great and lunch time is not busy - no waiting. They also serve so fast at lunch that you can actually go here on a 1 hour lunch break.
We avoid this place for dinner as I hate waiting in line. They do have great outdoor seating options all covered with shade.

I think the food here is very good.
Love their chips and salsa. They make the Guac at your table.
Fajitas and filet mignon tacos are great.

The booth seats are not that comfortable as the backs are straight up. So this might be one of those restaurants where getting a table makes more sense.

My favorite is the dessert they give at the end - I dont even know what it is call, but it is like pralines.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Food is good, but average and not very creative, considering there are so many more authentic Mexican restaurants within 5 miles. Many people go there to meet in groups. It is large and has a very nice outside patio. Service is usually very good. They need some creativity in the kitchen.

Thank Steve and Betti... P
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We've come to this restaurant on and off for some forty years. With all the Mexican themed restaurants available in this area, El Cholo has staying power. They get me hooked with their salsa which is much better than anything I've tasted on the East Coast. We were a group of five and most ordered some combination platter. I got the enchilada suiza, which quite frankly I wouldn't order again here. First of all, it's only one enchilada, and a small one at that. The sauce overpowered, rather than complement the enchilada. The others in our group seemed to be very pleased with their meals, so I'll consider my experience an outlier.
A nice touch after the meal is the praline candy served to each person. So, they got me coming with the salsa and going with the praline, but the middle part was so-so.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The service is excellent, the decor and atmosphere is good. The food is barely average. Nothing stands out. I rather stay home and cook my own mexican food