“Nice surprise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kyburz
Reno
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After finding every hotel completely booked in Placerville as it is the busy Apple Hill season. I found the Sierra Inn in Kyburz on trip advisor. It had a few good reviews so we tried it. What a wonderful surprise! It is quite old but they have re-tiled/remodeled the bathroom, and it was just charming. Very clean, with a very friendly woman at the front desk. Fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, all in like new condition. Right on the river with beautiful river views right out our window. We would definitely stay there again. About 20 miles north of Apple hill, we were able to get an early start on the Apple Hill loop. There is an old-timey general store next door to purchase beverages or whatnot. No hair dryer in the room, but had seen that on a review so brought my own.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rn0trvlr

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sacramento
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A spur of the moment trip with the kids on new years eve, no certain destination in mind and no hotel reservation, I was panicked when I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone but thrilled to see the vacancy sign flashing when I drove by. The woman behind the counter was nice, charged $88 (not bad I guess being that I had no reservations and it was new years eve) after a few instructions to her husband, we're led upstairs to a standard but warm and comfortable room... oh the bed was awesome, a memory foam type mattress. The kids and I unwind, unpack and got ready to get comfortable only to find out that we didn't have hot water. So we had to get dressed again, pack our stuff up to be moved to the room next door. This room was aweful, the blinds were broken, dead bugs surrounding the windows, the lino floors peeled, the ceiling weren't drywalled, the beds were disgusting with stains.... but we had hot water. Well, we all showered, and slept on top of the bed fully dressed with our beanies on so hopefully bugs wouldn't get in our hair. We were gone first thing in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank elegantberries
Davis, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in one of the 'non-view' rooms.
The rooms were clean, quite and nice. When you open the window in the bathroom - you hear the river gushing (see picture of view from window).
There is no restaurant in Kyburz - so bring your own food or drive 10-15 minutes.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view look amazing, otherwise take a room in the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed an extra night as the kids didn't want to leave. Very friendly staff. Clean fresh bed sheets. Nice and warm and slept comfortably all night. Kids watch their favorite movie on HBO. Very close to Sierra ski place. It was a quick drive to and back to the motel. Will definitely stay here next time we go skiing at Sierra at tahoe.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jsmith2222
Novato, California
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This was an awful experience. The bedding, carpets, walls, bathroom are thin, old and beat-up. We had to order extra pillows because our pillows were so thin. We were asked what time we would be there and arrived when we said we would. They hadn't heated up our room as the employees didn't get the right time form the owner...so the room took forever to warm up. Every time the heater went on, it made a huge racket and woke us up...all...night...long. They say they have HBO, and while they have some of the HBO channels, they don't have the main channel...even though they list it on their channels. When we put it on it was actually the channel that tells you what number all the other channels are. My kids were excited to watch Avatar and we couldn't watch it. The owner is never around. When I called the following week to complain, I had to leave a message and she never called me back. Stay at the hotels about 10 mins down the mountain in Pollock Pines and STAY AWAY from this place!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ppaquett
Stockton, CA
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We visit South Lake Tahoe every year. I waited a bit too long, on top of the fact that there was an event I wasn't aware of and I was unable to find any reasonably priced lodging there. We discovered this great place when when I backtracked from South Lake Tahoe on the map and checked out the smaller towns along the way. This motel is in the teeny, tiny town of Kyburz. It's right on highway 50, about 25 miles (about 25 minutes) from Lake Tahoe. The price was very reasonable. The woman who took my reservation over the phone was nice and accomodating. I was traveling with my husband, an eight year old and two teenagers, so I needed an adjoining room and an extra bed. Internet reservations are also available. When we arrived everything was in order and we were quickly checked in by the hospitable manager who made sure we were aware of the fact that this motel's back property is right on the American River. There is a little beach and lots or rocks to climb on I. I could actually see fish in the water. Just in back of the motel is a picnic area with tables and charcoal grills. The manager had just completed a fire pit for which he had stocked plenty of firewood. You are welcome to bring a fishing pole. Even the teenage boys couldn't resist exploring the river. The rooms were nothing fancy but very clean and quiet. You can tell that the owners are making an effort with new paint, furniture and amenities like coffee maker and refrigerator. The bathrooms were spotless with new linoleum, sinks and counters. The old fiberglass showers, although spotless, looked a bit weathered, but with the other updates already done, I'm sure this is on their short list of things to do. There are no blow dryers or irons, so bring your own if you need it. Our bed was very comfortable with soft pillows. The kids complained that their pillows were a bit hard, but not too uncomfortable to sleep on. There is a small store with a bit of everything run by friendly people down the street but closed around 7:00. We had a great time and will definitely return soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank j0esgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyburz
Westhaven Inn
#7 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline

Been to Sierra Inn? Share your experiences!