“Disappointing!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kyburz
Sonoma, California
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great old building and interesting grounds. A beautiful river sound as you sleep and enjoy the outdoor areas. Friendly and nice staff. The place is dirty and needs a good cleaning with a maintenance program from there. I had to remove long black hairs from the bath tub and sink after asking for soap and shampoo that the housekeeper forgot to leave. Towels were nice yet the overall room and common area feel was under par. The restaurant was nice and rustic and the food good, Mary the waitress was the best. If this place was renovated and then had some good general management it would be improved.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was climbing at Lover's Leap. Perfect place for me (I needed warm and comfort and the campground doesn't cut it). I liked the vibe of the place. The owner is nice and the bartender was fun. Food is what you'd expect. Its not Michelin rated but its also not fast food. I found the place clean - no issues with my sheets like other people had.

Location is fantastic and you can easily get to the lake without paying lake prices.

If you want a posh place this is not for you. If you want value and a good vibe, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Fremont, California
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We were being pushed by our kids to go to "the snow" and it was end of March. We found out Tahoe had perfect snow conditions so we decided to take them there... on the way i was getting a little scared to pass through "thouse 50miles of road" right before South Lake Tahoe and i was convincing the family to stay "somewhere" before those 50miles. We stop at Strawberry Logde, they asked us to wait just 30 minutes to get one of the rooms that were being cleaned. The kids inspected the place and approved!!!! YEAH!!! We took the room and had the perfect 2 days getaway!!! they had plenty of fresh powder snow, we had a nice little bar and restaurant on the site. My older kid + daddy went to Sierra on the next mornigh, since the place offered lifts and rentals and... well... every thing.. in the meantime mom and little daughter were having a lot of fun at "the snow", across the street with a little market and food and...ohhhhhhh! there is NO INTERNET so, we had not other choice but have fun!!! After so many years of vacations with internet this one without it was ath the beggining kind of boring??? but at the end it was just perfect!!! we left the place relaxed and with thepromise of a return... same place!

Room Tip: The ones with full service of course, with bath, be careful since it is a european style you can get...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VirginiaAleman
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 8, 2011

The Strawberry Lodge is a lovely place, right by the American River. I will always cherish my memories there. The Honeymoon Suite is particularly stunning, with amazing antiques and a really comfortable bed. We appreciated the tasty drinks in the historic bar too. We were aware that the hotel would be well-worn, but were pleasantly surprised with how pretty and comfortable it is. Definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberley42
Central Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed in the place to attend a family wedding. The wedding was handled very nicely.

On the other hand, our room was tiny, and the bathroom even more so. I think its overall dimensions were about 7' x 7' including the shower and toilet "cubby". Housekeeping made a gesture of cleaning the room, but did little that i could see.

The restaurant was overpriced, and we ended up eating elsewhere toward the end of our stay. If there was a wider selection of hotels in the area we probably would have moved.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kyburz hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We're just back from a weekend wedding at the Strawberry Lodge. We enjoyed the entire event, which was enhanced by the pleasant and laid-back ambiance of the Lodge. The large group events were smoothly run and delicious, and all the servers were extremely friendly and out-going. The outdoor barbecue was delicious, and the wedding dinner was hot, plentiful and also delicious. Our various breakfasts, ordered individually, were generous and pleased each of us. The homemade biscuits were great. The rustic feel of the lodge is validated by the various news clippings and photos from many years and helps underscore the authenticity of the place. Our room was very large and the bed was in an alcove that looked over the back grassy yard. Except for the DJ music in the wedding reception ( we just couldn't dance until 2:30am), all noise was blocked out by the http://c1.tacdn.com/img2/tamgfooter/vr/ftrHero.pnghttp://c1.tacdn.com/img2/tamgfooter/vr/ftrHero.pngwonderful sound of the loud, bubbling river that edges the property -- the perfect "white noise" machine for a mountain lodge.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I'm fussy about that. Although I appreciated that we got fresh towels, I would have liked to have the bed made up, too. That's part of the expectation of a "hotel" . That was the only negative point for me and why I didn't give more stars.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Marysville, California
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This place needs a match taken to it. Ratty torn bedding with stains. Old old old. I pulled back the sheets that were worn nearly through to check for bed bugs. Was going to use the pillow that had the sham on it , changed my mind when I took off the sham and found blood stains and god knows what else was on it. The carpet and room had not been vacuumed/cleaned in what was probably years. No tv, no phones, no clock. Not even paper or a pen. It DID have a bible. (oh goody..something to read). Missing light bulbs in the bathroom and over head room light. It is exactly as all the bad reviews state. Disgusting and gross. You can hear everything in the hallway and adjacent rooms. We were the luckier of our group, and had a in-room bathroom, so we didn't have to share the "communal" one. $118 bucks out the door for having nothing but filth. How the health dept has not closed this place down due to filth is beyond me. My spouse and I refused to shower at this place. Others in our group reported much of the same type of conditions in their rooms. Do yourself a favor and Drive the extra 17 miles to South Lake tahoe and find a decent place. Finally did find the toileties in the nearly rusted shut medicine cabinet. Have NO idea how long they had been in there as I dont think other people from other reviews thought to look inside of it. Had one small bottle of shampoo and one small bar of soap. So old looking I dont think the company that makes it is even in business anymore.
The staff is loud and rude. ONE exception the nice young waitress in the morning at breakfast. Real sweet. Probably is just trying to make a living. Not much in the area for wage earning.

FOOD....while we were at a catered function the food was not that great. They ran out of salad dressing, and the pasta dish before half the people had even eaten. We had to serve ourselves our own water and drinks. The owner couldnt figure out how to get the beer keg tapped and the first 30 minutes was spent trying to get beer NOT to foam. They finally went inside and got pitchers of beer from the bar. Don't know if they ever got it to work. One would think after years of holding large gatherings and catering functions they would know how to tap a keg.

Breakfast was a champagne buffet. We were informed on check in it was $20 for two. After we got our bill it was $16 bucks per person. The breakfast was just so-so. Certainly not worth 16 bucks a person. Biscuits and gravy were cold, even though it was in a catering type server. Best part about the breakfast was the Yoplait yogurt in a sealed container and the little smiling waitress.

I would NEVER recommend anyone stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeweledcat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyburz
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#7 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Best Western Stagecoach Inn
Best Western Stagecoach Inn
#1 of 2 in Pollock Pines

Been to Strawberry Lodge? Share your experiences!