“Great relaxed place to stay with wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Historic Requa Inn

Historic Requa Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Klamath B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great relaxed place to stay with wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

This place has a wonderful homely feel about it. You can relax into the place and soak up the calm. Some people have expressed reservations about the family style dining but over our two nights we had good company and conversation that we wouldn't have had if we'd sat on our own. Then there was the food... Wonderful. Inventive but not overly showy. Great ingredients cooked very well. Couldn't fault it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
Sonora, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I didn't learn enough about the history of the inn other than it dates from the 1930s; I should have asked and studied more. But, it's a difficult climate with significant fog and typical dampness for the coast -- almost cold for desert rats. The baseboard heaters were surprisingly effective in taking the chill off. The rooms are small (they were in the 1930s, of course), the stairs are narrow (again, the '30s). Compared to chain hotels on freeways the price is expensive...but you simply shouldn't make such comparisons....this Inn is uniquely different, and the atmosphere is throwback pleasant. We only stayed one night; I wish we'd stayed two to really enjoy the inn and the area.

1 Thank QuietWalker
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

It looks pretty basic from the outside but keep an open mind. The Inn is actually quite cozy and pleasant, and by the way, is the only place in the area if you don’t camp. Our room was very small and it was difficult to unpack, but the view of the Klamath River and occasional barking of sea otters (or seals?) made up for that inconvenience. The bedding was quite comfortable. The Inn is just off the main road but nighttime traffic was minimal, so there was no problem with noise. The best feature of the Requa Inn was the rustic restaurant, for delicious made-to-order breakfasts and surprisingly excellent dinners. The chef/servers were far more sophisticated and food-savvy than one would expect in such a remote area. Because diners are seated together family-style, there is an opportunity to meet new folks, and we did: some fascinating people of diverse backgrounds who share a love of the outdoors. It was a fine couple of days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Seventh stop on a 24 day,13 hotel, Pacific Coast Hwy, Nat'l Park Journey. We stayed for 3 nights at the Requa House (a part of the Inn) in June. If you're spending more than one day in the Redwoods, the location of the Historic Requa Inn, midway between Crescent City and Orick, makes for an ideal base from which to visit the various National and California State Parks that comprise the Redwoods. To stay at either the north or south side of the park entails, at minimum, a 50 mile drive along a curvy mountain road (US101) to reach the opposite end. That same drive back to your hotel is facing you at the end of, what could be, an exhausting day of hiking. Location is everything. For us, knowing we only had about a 30 minute, 20 mile drive back to the hotel gave us more time to visit the places we wanted to see without being exhausted.

The Requa House: Located about a 1/4 mile from the Inn on a narrow, steep and winding road, the house is accessed via a key-coded security gate with a driveway overgrown with vines and shrubs that brush the car. When I questioned whether the vines may be Poison Ivy, I was told that they were probably Poison Sumac but that we should be more concerned about mountain lions. With a concern about the Ivy exposure, I requested that they research what the vines may be and to respond as soon as possible. They never did.

Speaking of exposure, the house is located on a bluff overlooking the mouth of the Klamath River and the Pacific Ocean with spectacular views. I commented that one could almost sit in the buff on the bluff, and was told that the caretaker (in a separate house along the driveway) was known to, occasionally, sunbath nude. This might be a concern to those with children or other sensitivities. During our stay, we never observed the caretaker at all.

The house belongs to the owners of the Inn, and at the time of our visit, according to a brochure in the house, was for sale. The only thing marring the view was a steel support wire to a power line. It ended up in almost every picture that we took. The roof of the caretaker cabin and a small farmette above the property were the only signs of life. Privacy and seclusion were abundant and gave a special sense of wonder and of being in the moment as one watched the sunset, listened to the surf below, or simple watched the birds. Though the property itself appears devoid of redwoods, this is a wonderful place of solitude to decompress and tune out. In the morning, outside with coffee in hand to ward against the chill, it was mesmerizing to watch the fog swirl in drifts along the coast and amongst the redwoods as a new dawn approached to awaken the day.

The house sleeps 6, with 3 bedrooms and two baths. As it was just the two of us, the owners gave us a substantial discount on the rental rate. The web site mentions a fully equipped kitchen. What is left unsaid is that in the house, a booklet requests that you do no cooking and that it is preferred that you bring prepared food to simply reheat in the microwave. There is a wood stove in the living room for those colder nights. It would have been nice to have been able to use it during our stay, but use of the stove was also off limits. Many comments in the guest book bemoaned these facts.

When renting a home, even with a discounted rate, one should be permitted to cook and/or use a wood stove. If you intend to rent the house, especially for a large group that may need to cook (local dining options are severely limited), you would do well to inquire about the current policy.

There were no instructions in the home on how to operate the various appliances, heaters, fans and lights. While this may seem strait-forward, one night we flipped a switch that we though were lights and a squeaking ceiling fan came on. We couldn't figure out how to turn it off. A call (cell phone) to the Inn, brought an exasperated "you want me to come up now and fix it" comment. As the fan was too noisy to sleep, we requested that someone show us how to turn the fan off. Fifteen minutes after he arrived, after flipping various switches numerous times, he was finally able to shut the fan off. We commented that the in wall heater in the master bedroom was noisy as well, and he replied that the owners knew about that but hadn't fixed it. A guest book with instructions and/or labels on the switches would have been helpful.

Dinner: Knowing the limited dining options available in the area beforehand, yet having reservations about the dinner offered at the Inn (due to dietary/allergy restrictions), I spoke with the owner when we made our lodging reservations and was told that it was "family style" with something for everyone, which usually included a chicken, pork, beef or seafood dish. She made note of my concerns and assured me that I'd enjoy the meal. Based on her assurances, we made the required dinner reservations.

What I was not told, and had not expected, was a formal, four course meal. As promised, the night of our dinner, they had noted an allergy and told me they had prepared me "duck" instead. I expressed my appreciation for being so attentive, but indicated to the waitress that, though not an allergy, I didn't eat duck. To their credit, they then prepared a beef dish which was not initially part of the evenings meal. While my wife enjoyed her meal immensely, and the other guests at our table benefitted from having extra helpings available of those dishes that I could not eat, I ended up having a few slices of beef and some bread. It was the most expensive non meal I've never eaten. (No, not a typo). Miscommunication and/or misunderstanding on both of our parts as to what "family style" is may have been part of the reason I didn't have dinner that night. No credit was given for the meal not eaten.

Your best dinner option, any meal, can be had at the Good Harvest Cafe in Crescent City. Wonderful food, the best we had for our entire stay. Reasonable prices. Have them make it to go and bring it back to the Inn.

Breakfast. Wonderful. The egg dishes were cooked to order. If two slices of meat were offered with an egg dish, one simply had to request an extra serving for which there was no extra charge. The juice and the homemade smoothies were first rate.

The Inn: Our time at the Inn was limited to check in/out, dinner and breakfast. A sheet on the counter lists the state/country of the guests for the night. An unusual and thoughtful touch. We were given one as a souvenir. There is a ladies room available off the living area and a unisex restroom adjacent to the back entrance. This restroom had no paper/hand towels available. I mentioned this to the desk the first day of our visit, and on every other day of our stay. No effort was ever made to address this issue.

Summary: Five star location. Three star accommodations. There is probably no better place to stay within the Redwoods. Located a short drive from the Requa Overlook, from where we saw (the only times during our entire costal trip) Gray Whales, every time we went there.

Though the Inn is mostly staffed by the owners and members of their family, we found them to be, at times, inn-different to their guests concerns. With a full kitchen available to the staff, and knowing the very limited local dining options available (none), offering a boxed lunch of sorts, sandwiches or snacks for a light lunch or dinner should be a no brainer and go a long way to improving a future guests stay. There is no problem offering guests full bottles of chilled wine! Staying at the Requa House, with a fully equipped kitchen, paying a premium rental price and not being allowed to cook or use the wood stove just boggles the mind. It's said that you pay for the view. In this case, though superb, that's about all you get.

If having ready, convenient access to lunch or dinner is a priority for you, you may wish to strongly consider staying elsewhere. If you have a cooler and can get by with just having light lunches and microwaved dinners, the location of the Requa House/Inn can't be beat. Just be sure you don't do your own cooking and bring a jacket for those chilly nights sitting around the wood stove.

The location and view are superb. The Requa House is Inn-different.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zdc2152
Thousand Oaks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This inn doesn't look like much from the outside but the inside is, while in an old building, quite well decorated and very comfy. It sits right on the Klamath river delta and they tell me the view from our corner room is stunning. While we were there it was so foggy we couldn't see the river let alone the view past it. No worries, it was great fun anyway. The owners are locals and Native American and really care that everyone enjoys themselves. They have imbued the place with great charm and even a bit of humor - be sure to read the tips and rules in the room book. Breakfast is served at tables in the restaurant (we, alas, were not there on an evening they served dinner. I hear it's very good). One is given a choice of what elements one wants to eat so one can have either a big breakfast or a huge breakfast. Everything is freshly made, even the black berries were fresh and picked wild, locally. I want to come back someday.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was mostly very impressed by the Requa Inn - great location, high end tone, accomodating staff and they have very friendly pets including a dog who wants to play with whoever is nearest. We were greeted in the car park by one of the cats, who purred ferociously.

The cautions are 1) the 'single seating, family style dining'. I had taken single seating to mean a single reservation time of 1900 and family style to just mean sort of 'rustic' cooking. What it in fact refers to is that all guests sit together at the same table and intimately share a 4 course meal from shared dishes under quite formal dining circumstances. Whilst this turned out to be perfectly fine and we enjoyed our time with our 4 fellow diners (just 6 of us in total at the restaurant that night), it did come as something of a surprise to all of us. I often expect this for breakfasts at B&B's, but not really for dinner and there was a clear retiscence evident in the body language among all of us as this arrangement was announced, forcing us each to vacate the tables we'd each initially seperately allocated ourselves as couples, us each having arrived before any waiter was present. I imagine there was once a time when it would have been perfectly normal for Inn guests to quite naturally dine together and discuss the adventures of the day. In many ways I wish that was still the norm today, but given that it isn't I was just a little taken aback, especially given there was no choice in the matter. In the end I was glad this tradition was imposed on us, but I don't think I'd want that every night, especially of course if I'd booked the restaurant with plans for an intimate dinner for 2. Also, I would also have preferred if the waiter had served us personally from the shared bowls, which are delivered to the table, as it was difficult to judge portion size knowing the quantities are very specifically sized for the number of guests. Whilst this is no issue at a Christmas/Thanks giving etc with your own family at home, with strangers it created an awkwardness.

The food itself was of a superb quality and can quite justifiably be categorised as accomplished fine dining. To those trip advisor reviewers who have complained that the portion sizes are too small, I can only respectfully report that the sizes were perfectly adequate and I was not hungry after 4 exquisite courses. Perhaps those who found the portions inadequate need to investigate further how many calories they actually require in a day ! This is not the sort of dining where the appetiser alone is enough to leave you bloated, taking half of the rest of the meal home in boxes.

The waiting staff were very professional and polite, with the chef himself coming to greet us and describe the courses, befitting of a fine dining restuarant of a certain size.

The second caution is that the room we had (17) carried quite loud music and general claterring from the kitchen. The website warns of kitchen noise in room 12 only and we had avoided that room for that reason. We were only staying overnight and it certainly wasn't a problem after the kitchen was cleared (by 2130 or so) so not really a big issue, but it might have been if we were staying longer.

All in all I'd highly recommend the Requ Inn, but you just need to know what to expect in terms of the intimate and formal shared dining arrangements. Forewarned, I'm sure most would embrace it, but it could perhaps just be made a little clearer on the website for those for whom it wouldn't be appropriate for the night in question booked.

2 Thank DonHG
Tahoe City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The historic Requa Inn is a lovely old Inn built in the 1920's. It's in wonderful shape for such an old inn and has all the nice touches one doesn't get in modern life. It's view of the Klamath River is expansive but thevery best part was the dinner. It was amazing. Don't miss staying here if you are ever in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river.