“Mixed Review”

Ranked #1 of 1 Klamath B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the great reviews on trip advisor. My family of four, two adults and two girls ages 12 and 15, had a one night stay at this hotel on a three week road trip. This is the one hotel I was really looking forward to staying at. The hotel itself did not disappoint me. It is conveniently located just off of the PCHighway. It is an old building and the owners have tried very hard to keep the feel of an old hotel with the style of furniture and decor. They have done a great job. The lobby is a lovely, large space with plenty of sitting space. Here you will find a variety of books and games for guests to use. I enjoyed the large variety of historical photos on the walls. We had two adjoining rooms, one with a queen size bed and one with a double bed. In between these rooms was a bathroom that had an antique, claw foot bath tub. The rooms were very clean and decorated very lovely. The beds were comfortable and overall we had a very enjoyable stay. The floors creaked a bit as did the doors and I loved all of this. This gave the hotel a very cozy, family atmosphere and we met many nice people from all over North America. Included in your room price is an absolutely fantastic, made-to-order breakfast. What a great way to start your day! So here's the not so nice part of my review. The dinner. We booked the dinner, again based on the great trip advisor reviews. We sat at long, family style tables and this was a great opportunity to meet and chat with some of the other guests. The food, however, disappointed us. We were served many different appetizers, which were all very good yet the servings were so small. Everyone at the table was shocked at the tiny portions. The main meal was wild rice and seared tuna. One of my daughter's appetizers contained some long, black hairs. (She's a blond) The waiter took it away without a comment and neglected to bring her a fresh appetizer or an apology of any sort. My kids are not chicken strips and fries eaters. They have always been very adventurous in what they eat. Three out of four of my family members would not eat the seared tuna. It was very good and tasty for the other members of the table. When I booked the dinner a few nights before our stay, the hotel was unable to tell me what the menu would look like for that night. I took a chance and it bombed. It was very, very expensive. I had chosen to eat dinner at the hotel out of convenience because after an eight hour drive, I did not want to check into the hotel and then procede back out again to hunt for dinner. So, I give this hotel a five star rating as a hotel and a one star rating for the dinner. That black hair in the food really turned me off. Oh, and the head chef, has dark black hair.

Room Tip: Ask about the menu before you book dinner. It is very pricey and not for everyone.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Arly1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked a couple of nights at this Historic Inn in order to visit the local redwood groves and it was a most pleasant surprise. Our room was small, compact and comfortable for a night's sleep although we are accustomed to a larger bed. The real beauty of this place is the new generation of talented locals and a talented piano player. The Innkeepers are warm and caring. The little brother and his crew in the kitchen are serving up delicious meals in the dinning room. The hearty breakfast set us off with lots of energy for the day and it was most enjoyable to sit with other guests in the evening whilst enjoying the dinner and tasty wines. They are a creative bunch, I wish we could have stayed for one of their dinner series and have Reweti play the piano while having coffee...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edouardhenri
Port Salerno, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice old local place with great views. Book the Mountainside unit if you can get it. Too good to pass up and the views are to die for. We 4 ate at the Inn and had an outstanding Gourmet meal at this hidden gem They did a better than average breakfast, too. We support hard working small business owners everywhere we go!

Room Tip: Mountainside if it is available!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jazpek
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

In addition to all the positive comments in the reviews below, I have to add that the dining room serves AMAZING food at dinner. It's not cheap but it is worth every penny. Two wonderful young chefs use local ingredients to create inventive and tasty dishes. It's also fun to share a table with other travelers and enjoy the conversation.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank historian42
Nevada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Definitely take in the "historic" qualities of this Inn! The old wooden building and "antique-y" decor add to the ambience, and it's fun to read and look at the memoriabilia in their main living room space. It's also wonderful to find out more about the Yurok Indian history in the area, and to know that the family who now owns and operates it is of Yurok descent.

I stayed in one of the smaller rooms in the back, but that wasn't a problem since the living room and front porch have all the view I could want (although the rooms overlooking the river would be spectacular!). Everything was clean and comfortable, the common area is very cozy, and everyone was friendly and helpful. Be aware that it can get very foggy in the area, so if it seems clear enough to take advantage of the nearby overlook (about 1/2 mile up the road), go for it! But even without seeing the ocean, there were lots of fishermen and sea lions to entertain just watching the Klamath River from the Inn. The location is just a quick drive from the redwoods and Trees of Mystery (goofy name, but has a fantastic Indian museum and, of course, trees...).

An EXCELLENT breakfast is included with the room (try the green smoothie!), and I also had dinner at the restaurant, which was a surprising experience. It's a prix fixe multi-course event, served by the chefs themselves, and everything was unique and delicious. If you're an extremely picky eater, this might not be for you (although they will take dietary restrictions into account), but I've never had better steak, and I loved the little appetizers. I would say that $45.00 seemed expensive, except that at the end our table still had leftovers of the entrees (best mashed potatoes I've ever had, too)! I couldn't afford that more than once in a stay, but people come from all over just for the dinner, so I recommend trying it at least once.

Bottom line: I hope to be able to return as often as possible!

Room Tip: If you can manage it, the front rooms with a view of the river are spectacular. Light sleepers shou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hija_del_sol
Kent, Washington
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Requa for one great night on a trip north from San Francisco. Lodging doesn't impress from outside, but is wonderful inside. Old wood, lots of character, cozy living room. Our room had a view of the river, which led to great bird views and the chance to watch the fishermen roar down the river.

The host was great, and as always we were pleased to be giving our custom to a business owned by members of the local indigenous community.

Dinner was the real highlight. Four courses that felt more like nine, with a nicely arranged set of wine pairings. Most of the food was excellent, northwest fusion with hints of indigenous cuisine. The seaweed wrapped shellfish stew with the pork ragu and the cedared salmon were tremendous. It was also nice to have the dinners be a mix of lodge guests and locals who are in the know. I'd go for the food alone. Breakfast was less flashy, but derived primarily from locally sourced eggs, meats, and breads.

Four stars for great host, the incredible food, and the above average beds/showers...a bit off for the average ness of rooms. There is a hot tub, which we were just too beat to explore. Wish we had stayed longer!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davenpeggy
cleveland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This property and its owners are truly wonderful. We stayed two nights at the Requa Inn and had dinner there both nights. The property is just as advertised, a century old and authentic. We stayed in #6 and #20, both facing the riverside. The rooms are great, clean, quaint and comfortable. Not many frills- but very nice. Number 20 is a large room with a super tub. The Inn itself has well used and loved public spaces with writing tables facing the river. The real substance of this Inn is its staff. The meals were the true highlight of our stay. The meals are inventive and based on local ingredients. The menu selections were truly innovative and delicious. The young chefs were outstanding. The shared tables at dinner allowed us to meet a varied and extremely interesting group of wonderful people. Overall, this was one of our best travel experiences in a long time. This is one destination to which we intend to return.

Room Tip: We liked those rooms facing the riverside, although the others are very quiet and nice, too. It is h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Klamath
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#8 of 19 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Historic Requa Inn? Share your experiences!