“Why did we come here? Skip it.”
Review of Tour-Through Tree

Tour-Through Tree
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Klamath
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stopped here on my way back from the Lost Coast. Purchased a shirt because I needed a shirt. When I left, I wondered why we stopped there in the first place. This is not the way to enjoy the beautiful redwoods. Instead of driving through a tree, take the time to visit one of the numerous state parks in the area. If you're looking for a tourist trap (sometimes that is just what you want!),Trees of Mystery is more expensive, but a more fun and respectful representation of nature. I feel no need to return, but the shirt I purchased was good quality.

1  Thank Kasey K
There are newer reviews for Tour-Through Tree

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We toured through the tree when driving from Portland to San Francisco in March 2013. This is depressing environmental tourism at its worst. We had heard a lot about the massive California redwoods, and about how there were some you could drive through. We certainly didn't expect a chainsawed hole in a magnificent tree, and were dismayed to see the hole had been increased in size just so bigger cars could travel through. Save your money and see other examples of this amazing species.

1  Thank BossySydney
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stopped because I had experienced a drive through tree as a young child and thought it would be fun to go again. Wrong. This one is a disapointment. Luckily it was off-season so there were no other cars and no one in the ticket booth. We would have been pretty upset had we paid for this. I know there are better drive through trees south of this one.

1  Thank DebPat2011
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place is impossible to find. There's a big sign on 101 South indicating to exit for the Drive -Thru Tree but then nothing else. Did someone steal the other directional signs?

Anyway - here's how you get there. Take the Terwer Valley exit off Highway 101 South and turn left at the stop sign. You'll see a little tiny yellow shed with a little tiny sign in 1/4 mile on the left. It's across from an emu farm. Type "430 Highway 169, Klamath, CA 95548" into your GPS. This is the address for the house that is located right next to the tree entrance. I'm guessing it belongs to the owners.

There was no one working the shed where you pay. We put our $5 into the slot because the little sign said "We trust you to pay" and we sure didn't want bad karma at the start of a new year.

We were the only ones at the tree for at least 45 minutes so we took lots of photos of the car and the tree, me and the tree, hubby and the tree, and, of course, the dogs and the tree.

Dimensions of the tree are 7'4" wide & 9'6" high. The tree itself is still a healthy living redwood tree.

Kitschy, roadside attraction fun!

8  Thank WISCGirl
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Although we visited in low season, the site was deserted except for home-made signs directing the way to the Tour-Through Tree, and other handwritten signs bluntly reminding you that the very short trip up the incline and around the turning circle (only to find that most modern cars, especially SUVs, wouldn't fit) was NOT FREE!!! Not worth the detour off the highway, let alone the $5.

1  Thank McBrat