“Don't go there - I want it all to myself!!”
Review of Caples Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwood
Caples Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kirkwood
Reviewed April 8, 2009

One of the most peaceful places I've been. Yes, the cabins and inn are rustic and could be updated, but all the basic comforts are there next to the gorgeous lake surrounded by mountains and evergreens. I actually prefer the rusticity - it somehow fits the place.

I have been there in August and December. August was pleasant with balmy days and cool evenings. December had Just Enough Perfect Snow for snowshoeing at Caples and skiing at Kirkwood. The day after we left there was a huge blizzard.

This is a great family place , very laid-back and casual. A makeup-free zone if there ever was one! But take moisturizer....the air can be dry.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellenchantress

Reviewed August 4, 2008

Good news- nice people and they have a marina where you can rent boats.

Not So Good- this resort was outdated 10 years ago and nothing can make up for the condition. If you like rustic, go for it. However, my rate was $100 per night and should not have been more than $40-50 max.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank costaricagregg
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Stayed here while skiing at Kirkwood. We stayed in the main house which is billed as a bed and breakfast but it's more like a bad hostel. It's way overpriced for what it is and i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone for the price. The rooms are tiny with bad furniture and the "breakfast" was a small table with a few stale costco muffins on it. It reminded me of staying at my deranged grandmothers house and I was glad to leave. I hear the cabins are the way to go and if you have a few people to divide the price then maybe thats the way to go.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank chuckaw
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Here are some suggestions, after my stay last weekend:

1. I'm not sure what the odor is from. The manager suggested that we leave the windows open. And that did help. But, whenever the windows were closed, it got worse again. Perhaps something crawled under the floorboards and died?

2. If the windows are open, you really need the heat on. But the heat comes from a gas fireplace. Which is bright. It's a little distracting at night, when you're trying to sleep. After all, the fireplace is about a two feet from the bed, and two feet from the couch. Also, there's a VERY LOUD fan which blows the warm air to heat the room. If you leave the windows open, the light and the noise will probably keep you awake. The second night, we closed all the windows, and turned the heat off. Which I think was a slight improvement.

3. The compressor in the fridge is quite loud. And it keeps turning on and off, all night. The second night, I unplugged the fridge. Things stayed reasonably cool without it plugged in, all things considered.

4. If you plan to sleep on the futon (as I did), don't try to pull it out into a bed. It doesn't lay flat. The first night, I pulled it out, and it kept creaking and moving as I tried to sleep. It's hard to sleep when your bed is moving. The second night, I shifted it back to a couch, which wasn't flat at all, but at least it didn't move.

5. Frankly, I expected a slightly larger room from a "cabin" in a "resort". Be aware that a party of 3 will have a hard time moving around in the room without tripping over suitcases. There is no closet. There is no phone. There is no TV. There is barely room in the cabin for the queen bed, the futon, the card table (kitchen table), and the stove/fridge. There is no room in the bathroom for clean clothes, etc.

6. The shower is quite small. Somehow, I always felt like I was on a ship - probably it isn't quite installed level. Neither the shower curtain nor the shower wall felt very clean, but it was almost impossible to shower without touching some surface, since it was so small.

7. Because the room was so small, and already didn't smell good, we decided not to cook anything. Adding food smells seemed like a bad idea. We had hoped to have breakfasts in the room, which would have been convenient - one of the reasons for staying in a cabin like this.

We were booked in this room for 3 nights. After 2 nights, we decided we really couldn't stand a third night. I don't think anyone got more than about 4 hours' sleep, even though we had the lights off and were TRYING to sleep for about 11 hours. We drove home, to our comfortable beds with no bad smells, where we could get cellphone signals, where we didn't feel trapped. I'm grateful that we were refunded the third night's fee, but I deeply wish the room had been nicer - the rest of the trip was fun, Kirkwood had nice snow, the girls were having a good time, if only it weren't for the room.

By the way, one of the girls started to feel sick just before we left. I have no way of telling whether she was affected by the altitude, the odor, the lack of sleep, etc. Maybe it was just the flu. But we were glad to get home.

We will not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank UltimatePlayer
Reviewed November 23, 2006

My husband had stayed at this lake many years past – and we where happy to find it still open in the shoulder season between fall and ski season. The place was deserted - we had our pick of any room in the lodge. Enjoying a beer by the lake at sunset with a storm rolling in was the most amazing thing I’ve seen in a long time. See the pictures attached.
The cabins are really the way to go – so we moved to one for the second night. The lodge rooms are clean – but very basic – there are bathrooms for each room – but they are all across a common hall – so a robe, lots of creaky doors and light just to slip across to the toilet. The cabins are cute and basic – with kitchens and bbq pits out back. There is a real wood fired sauna to take advantage of – very rustic – but the way nature intended! The stars out so far are the real show each evening – as there is no TV, etc in the rooms – board games are provided for diversion – and that’s a nice change from the rattle of late night talk shows.
Gas in the area is EXPENSIVE – so the 45 min. or so drive into Nevada for gas and lunch was a nice day trip. It was still just warm enough for a day hike around the lake... but keep an eye on the weather – it got COLD quick!
There is a state run park in the area with a natural hot spring – but the pool was small and over-run with people even thought they only allow so many in at a time – it was not worth the wait – in our opinion.
There is a good restaurant between the lodge and the Kirkwood ski area. The lodge’s food service has been shut down for a couple of years. They offer bottled juice and muffins for ‘continental breakfast. We just brought our own deli meats and cheese – if you have a cabin you could plan to cook or bbq. Kirkwood was ‘under construction’ before the ski season – so not much open there – but I can imagine summer or winter has more to offer. The lodge is open year around. Ice-skating on the lake and skiing etc are the attractions in winter.
The drive from Caple’s Lake Resort to Lake Tahoe take you into some of the most beautiful valleys you’ll see in fall.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank flyby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwood
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Mountain Club at Kirkwood Mountain Resort
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Caples Lake Resort? Share your experiences!