“Awesome.”

El Lugarcito Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 35 Restaurants in King City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Visited based on the other two reviews. Arrived at dinner time on a Wednesday, and the place was completely empty. I have a rule that if a place is empty at peak meal times, I skip it on the assumption that if locals the locals aren't eating there, it must suck. I broke my rule and took a chance, and I'm glad I did. The salsa that came with the chips was nice and hot, a good sign that the food was not gringoized (made bland to appeal to anglos). The chile verde was the best I've ever had with great freshly made tortillas. The tomatillo salsa was flaming hot and delicious and the pork was perfectly tender. The frijoles were a little sub par but that's my only complaint. Excellent overall. I will be back whenever I have occasion to pass through Kingman.

1  Thank Badlizard001

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were on a return trip from San Francisco, driving to Camarillo. We arrived in King City - an isolated but nice town - around 1:30 p.m., needing a driving break and not wanting to wait another 30 minutes or more for broader lunch options available in Paso Robles. The fast food options in King City are limited: Subway, McDs... all unappealing to us. Based on the one (positive) review we found on Tripadvisor, we tried El Lugarcito Restaurant and were likewise impressed. The chili verde burritos we ordered were delicious: large chunks of pork in a well-seasoned sauce. The carnitas tacos, salsa and chips were also great. Service was very fast, and the servers very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Nice Place - I really think I am transported to another land when I go to this place and close my eyes and open them up and ... well you get the idea. The chili verde was very good, the taco al pastor was WONDERFUL.
My problem with King City is there are too many mexican restaurants and I want to go back to the ones I like again and also try them all -- oh the life of a Trip Advisor reviewer!