“Great trip down river” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hozugawa River Boat Ride

Hozugawa River Boat Ride
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Kameoka
More attraction details
Owner description: The hozugawa-kudari is the best rivever boat ride in Japan.Once on the boat,you will enjoy a 16 kilometer,two hour jouney from Tanba-Kameoka to Arashiyama in Kyoto.Experience the exciting rapids and mysterious deep pools through the ravine in the beautiful seasonal scenery.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Cork, Ireland
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Great trip down river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Took the train from Kyoto to Kameoka and had a short walk to the boat departure point for this trip. I got inside and they took my money and my name and address. After a short wait, my name was called (“Airurando no Mikaeru”) and I got on the boat.

This was a 2 hour trip but it flew by. There was 2 guys at the front, one with an oar and one with a pole. There was a guy at the back presumably doing the steering. There was about 20 people in total on the boat and I was the only non-Japanese person. The oarsman kept up some very amusing banter throughout the trip keeping the boat chuckling away (I assume, it was all in Japanese) and pointing out several points of interest - I pretty much just followed his finger-pointing and took a lot of pictures.

Over half way down, a shop-boat latched onto our boat and people bought drinks and food. The shop’s engine took over momentum so the guys were able to take a break. Oddly, they used this break offering to take pictures of people using their own camera, but only those who bought food! They even got them to hold up the food. Some bizarre Japanese tradition no doubt.

Once the shop-boat had left us, we were pretty quickly docked in Arashiyama and deboarded without incident. Since this was my first full day in Japan, this leisurely and interesting tour was just what I needed to kick off my trip.

Visited April 2011

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Absolutely recommend this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

I did this 5 years ago (the date of visit doesn't go that far back) and it stands out as one of the best activities I have ever done. It is a little out of the way to get to and we went there were few foreigners and there was a slight language issue making the reservations, but well worth it, to see the people steer and power the boat with just their strength is impressive to say the least. The views are magnificent.

At the end of the trip, we then walked down the river and you can then walk across the river which was beautiful.

If you go to Kyoto be sure to fit this into your plans.

Visited July 2010
3 Thank ADRBROWN
California
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 385 helpful votes
“Great any time of year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

We did this trip in March prior to the blossoms and it was still great fun! We were especially surprised at the birdlife (and turtles) that we saw. Ducks, cormorants, kingfishers etc. The rapids were not to fast as this is the dry time of year. 2 of our 3 river guides were easily over 60, but managed the rigor of the rowing and shooting the rapids like experts. It was a little scary at times, but clearly they have done it many times before. You sit flat on the boat floor. Luckily our boat only had 11 people including 2 small children, so we could stretch out our legs. 90 mins is too long for us to sit Japanese style. I would love to do this trip in Autumn, Summer or Spring. (I plan to list this review elsewhere on tripadvisor as it appears that it is listed in Japanese here and elsewhere in English. )

Visited March 2011