“Enjoy the iron baths”

Noboribetsu Grand Hotel
Reviewed July 5, 2013

One thing you must do if you don't smoke is book a non smoking room! This a must as many tour groups and other vistors can make the room smell if you don't ugh! Fortunately, I remembered to do this and my room had a sweet wicker smell to it. The baths are not that plentiful, but good to try from the salt water baths to the iron baths. I enjoyed the outside ones the best as you get the fresh air to help cool you off when in the onsen.

As the buffet lasts a long time there is no need to rush and get the food like some people do. Also, if you say thankyou to the chefs in Japanese you will have better service. The shop has some interesting nick nacks and items which you can also buy at reasonable prices.

Slow down and enjoy everything if not you will miss out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DomoHK
There are newer reviews for Noboribetsu Grand Hotel

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I arrived at about 10am as I just checked out of Dai-ichimotokan and hoped to check in smoothly as I did for Dai-ichi the previous day. Unfortunately, I was denied checking in before 3pm and the male front desk staff was not helping me much and even lied to me about the room situation. At first he told me no rooms are available at the moment so I have to come back at 3pm. I accepted it and asked if I could use the onsen now to spend my time, then he said it's closed till 12pm for cleaning so I can't go. Coming from Dai-ichi (onsen is open 24hours), I was disappointed further, so I explained my situation to him that my plans for that day will be changed if I were to wait till 3pm to check-in. Then he decided to offer me a room now if I pay an amount extra (i forgot how much he asked for as I was too shocked) Which means there are available rooms to check-in! I was very upset with the male staff that he didnt try to help me at all and instead asked me to pay more. I really regretted even booking this hotel to try the different onsens that I left my luggage at the front desk and walked right back to Dai-ichi to spend my afternoon there happily.
I came back at 3pm and checked in smoothly with another front desk staff who is very fatherly and friendly and even told me that I have free dinner that night when I wasn't expecting any. The room was spacious and I like the provided yukata design but not the uncomfortable footwear. The onsen is ok & dinner was a huge spread but I wouldn't come back to stay again due to the check-in bad experience. Location is very near the busstop.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good location to visit Noboribetsu Jigokudani Park. 15minutes (or less) walk to the Park. Very reasonable pricing. Wonderful buffet at dinner time, and also at breakfast. You can enjoy as much as you can eat crabs, sushi, steaks, Tempura etc. Sometimes they show how to cook Tuna in front of you!
Onsen (hot spring) is a very good quality one. There is a Rotenburo (open air Onsen), too.
Even though the partition to the next neighbor room is a little bit too thin, and you will hear there voices through walls, but thinking of what you pay to the hotel, it's worth staying.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I came here some years ago and totally enjoyed my stay. Imagine my dismay when I arrived on my latest trip to find that, although the facility is beautiful, and the lobby (especially) elegant, the reek(!!!) of stale cigaret smoke was appalling. That other reviewer that said they didn't have any problem must either have been a life-long smoker or in another hotel. I could hardly breathe and although I had noted the sulphur smell the last time, it was totally overpowered by the smoke! If you have any aversion to cigaret smell, please, please stay FAR away from this place.

I would say, at best, that the staff was either uncaring or churlish. When I asked someone to do what they could to deodorize my room, a young lady came in to do it, and as a parting gesture shouted "Baka" (which means "STUPID") as she left my room. The only one who even tried to help me was a front desk woman who tried to get me connected to WiFi when the system went down (and, as someone else has said) you have to go to the lobby to be connected.

The buffet? Oh my, did you have to ask? This was a disaster for me. Some of the food was tasty, when you could get it, but just try to get it! Another reviewer said they had no trouble with tour groups, but when I was there each and every time I tried to get something at the buffet line I was immediately inundated with (I think) the Chinese tour group that was totally SWARMING the place. I believe they had been told to swarm as close to me and keep me from getting to anything. Once I asked if I could have a beer for my drink and the serving woman emphatically yelled "NO!" No explanation was given why, so I went back to my room and smuggled two miniature bottles of rum and got a coke. You figure it out.

Then I went to the bar at which I had had such a nice time the last time I was here. There were three men in the bar and a woman bartender and, instead of the friendly bartender I had last time, these four people chatted away without even acknowledging my presence. When I left, they gave me a sarcastic "good riddance" kind of wave.

To sum it all up, although I agree with comments about their rotenburo and other onsen facilities, this is a place better off missed. I'm sure there are other NICE hotels in Noboribetsu. This, nowadays, is definitely not one of them.

In a word: (to quote General MacAuliffe) NUTS!

Room Tip: Good luck with getting a good room! Just TRY to get something that doesn't reek of smoke. And...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Whitsiepoo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

there's a variety of different type of onsen frm salt to sulphur to iron, big & small total around 8 pools. The outdoor onsen can see a waterfall & nice garden. They swop the man & women onsen the next day so i get to c 2 different onsen. It's very near to the 7-11 in the shopping street & 15mins walk to Jikogudani. Great service where staffs speaks gd english & carry ur luggage to ur room for u, guide ur parkin etc

6  Thank meiyih
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Hotel was dated and had a mixed odor of cigarette smoke and sulphur from onsen. We are of the opinion that this scent was itself built in with the Hotel resulting from many years of operation. Though the standard Japanese room we had was small, there was a rectangular sitting area near the window which added a pleasant feel. The room was neat, tidy and clean and the bedding was comfortable. The small size of the room was well compensated with the large and spacious onsen with various pools of iron, sulphur and salt, each claimed to have different healing components; a must try for all.

1  Thank bkpkwok
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Front staff weren't friendly, which is uncommon for Japanese service and was totally unexpected. We were already unimpressed. The rest of the staffs were fine. We stayed in a Japanese style room for 4 adults. They provided us with both hot water for making tea and iced water which we liked, along with some afternoon snack. The room was good. The onsen was also very good, spacious with 3 different types of baths(salt, iron, sulphur). The buffet dinner was pretty good, we really enjoyed the desserts line. Breakfast however, wasn't too great as some dishes seem to have been prepared for too long prior to serving (eg. the rock hard salmon fillets)

Good location as well, right next to the bus station.

The only downside had to be the front staff service.

2  Thank jinijiru