“Your traditional cheapish guesthouse that pushes tours and food”
Review of Harmony Guesthouse

Harmony Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 398 Pingyao County B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Your traditional cheapish guesthouse that pushes tours and food”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Perhaps suffering from being written up in the lonely planet, this guesthouse doesn't live up to the hype and charges a little more than other similar or better nearby places. I found them to be a little bit pushy with both the food and the tours, which were marked up higher than other places. The rooms were cute, though not all that well maintained. We liked the giant bed. The guesthouse has a nice backpacker vibe, and overall i enjoyed staying here. Eat elsewhere and don't get suckered into breakfast every day though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Josh T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in the guesthouse for 2 nights in late October. The central location of this guesthouse cannot be beat. The owners are friendly and helpful and have an amazing command of English. Since we don’t speak or read a word of Chinese, we needed their help and they were gracious and informative. Pingyao is historic, quaint and fun. We recommend it.

We stayed in one of the Deluxe Double rooms in the annex around the corner from the main guesthouse. The courtyard was delightfully picturesque, our room was spacious, our bed huge, the mattress quite comfortable and the quilts lovingly warm. It was quite nippy at night when we were here and we stayed toasty warm under our Chinese quilts. The shower had plenty of very hot water, but the bathroom suffered from a bit of sewer smell from the drain. We have found this is many Asian accommodations. We just kept the door closed. There was a flat screen TV, but all stations where in Chinese. I found the water kettle to be very convenient. One downside: there was no place to hang anything up in the room: no closet, hooks, hangers or clothing stand. The food in the restaurant was decent and reasonably priced. Sarah arranged a car and driver to transport us to and from the closest airport in Taiyuan and that proved to be a real convenience for us. It is possible to take a train from Taiyuan to Pingyao (or from Beijing to Pingyao, for that matter,) and many people do, but we were pressed for time, so we flew.

One suggestion, though: I believe it is possible to book directly with them from their website. We used Booking.com and paid 80 RMB per night more than the usual rate.

Room Tip: We liked our room in the new annex better than the older ones we saw at the original guesthouse. I g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissKimBliss
Italy
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I arrived there in the morning around 8AM and after few hour around 11 AM I ask to go out... I check train for an other city for my next step because in the hotel she (the owner) lie to customer pretending that there is no train availble for keep them more nights...I ve been in the station myself and I said that I will leave because its was stillling place availble in hard sleeper in the week...
So I had already paid for my night and ask for have a discount because In not intend to sleep there, the owner she is a women rude and arrogant...and money lover without respect for the tourist...
So she said no for a discount o no money back5even if i was ok to pay a part)...
I think that its a shame and not commercial at all...the room by the way doesnt have paper toilet and are not clean at all...
really a place to avoid!

Room Tip: dont go absolutly in this place there is many other guesthouse even if lonely planet reccommend this...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sarkozzi

Travelers are raving about these Pingyao County hotels

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in September. Shower room/toilet didn't function very well- floor didnt dry, was smelly and room wasn't cleaned during our stay.
However we got a strong sense of insincere service both by the owner and her staff- we found hem to be only truly interested in selling you a tour or a very inflatedly priced bus ticket (xian)
Would not recommend this guesthouse but would definitely recommend a stay in the town!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Xian
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Room not ready at midday as promised - I was told the last guest had just checked out and the room would be the first one cleaned at 3pm. I returned at 4pm to find the room still not cleaned. Two women then hurriedly came up to the room, emptied the bin, remade the bed with the sheets from the previous guest and left again. I had to make a special request to get the sheets changed and even then they only changed the bottom sheet. The pillowcases and duvet cover were the same ones. The room had not been swept or mopped and smelt of urine. The toilet still had faeces in it.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I did choose this place because it had a recommendation in Lonely Planet and I am very glad that I did. The courtyard style room with a huge bed and softer mattress was great. The ensuite bathroom was OK. The rate for me was 180 RMB per night and I stayed 4 nights.I think this rate was the best value in this town and many similar places charge much more.
The reception communal area was typical hostel/backpackers and I thought it was excellent with free wifi and a couple of computers for guests to use. There are tables and seats out the front if you want to watch the world go by Pingyao style. The food available in the reception/common area was good for a westerner but a little expensive.
I did 2 one day tours, the first to Wang Family Courtyard and then on to the underground castle at Zhangbi plus the village above. These 'tours' just drop you at the gate and you are on your own. This was OK for the all westerner group on that day and we had a good time. At the underground castle there was an English speaking guide.
On another day I took a tour to Mian Shan after reading the many hand written posters on the walls of the guest house exclaiming its virtues. I was so glad I did and the same applied to the others on the same tour. It was quite spectacular and I am surprised it is not in Lonely Planet.
The guesthouse owners/managers have all the answers an English speaking tourist is likely to need about travel and local attractions. They are quite professional and very well organised. They don't seem to forget anything and always know who owes for what without the need to write anything down except room costs.
This was a great place to meet other travellers and I made some good connections. I am very glad I stayed there.

Room Tip: I thought it was quiet at night but some other revewers have more to say about this.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012.

Arrived to Pingyao very early in the morning. The hostel paid the transportation to the Hostel, so I decided to go and try the bicycle rickshaw. It was lots of fun and the views were great : the sunrise and the old empty streets.

The dorm room I was given wasn't in the main building but in the end of a narrow pathway. The room itself was very basic with 6 beds. It had en suite toilet with shower.

I did spend some time in the main building as well, I liked the sofas and the out door tables. I also ended up eating breakfast at the hostel. even if it was a bit pricey, it was tasty.

I quite didn't like the owners, but well, I didn't really have any problems with them either.

I did join the trip to the Wang family courtyard and the caves and I think it was worth of the money.

I would recommend this hostel if you just need a bed for sleeping......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo