“Best mid-range choice in Pingyao” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tian Yuan Kui Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Tian Yuan Kui Hostel
Taiyuan, China
“Best mid-range choice in Pingyao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Tian Yuan Kui is not perfect, but I keep bringing guests here. This visit, I made more effort to check out some of the alternatives, and still feel that this is the best option.

This is a small hotel, not a hostel. The big draws are the charm of the courtyards, the comfortable restaurant area, and the location in the heart of the old town. The staff also speak English and can be quite helpful, though I find the service a bit uneven.

I find the courtyards very charming. They have been decorated with baskets, statues, chilies and so on, to nice effect, and the warren of courtyards itself is interesting. I always like to sit in the courtyards and have tea or wine with friends. I also think this is as much a part of the Pingyao experience as visiting the sites or shops.

The rooms have a bit of traditional character, but are quite spartan and a bit dark. This seems to be the norm for Pingyao in this price-range, however. I find the beds soft enough, but they are fairly firm. There is plenty of hot water, and the internet connections work.

The hotel was built early in the development of Pingyao as a tourist destination, and the showers are just in the bathrooms without a separate stall, though shower curtains have been added in some rooms. Fortunately, the bathrooms tend to be large enough that this isn't too much of a problem.

For the most part, the rooms are clean and in good condition, but in my room the sink stand was damaged by water from the shower and some paint was coming off of the walls. Nothing too serious, but I do wish they would add some lighting, and maybe offer some amenities like hair dryers and a free bottle of water.

Of the competition, Yide stands out. It has very nice courtyards in an old mansion--grander than Tian Yuan Kui. The restaurant is decorated a bit more classic and traditional style, while Tian Yuan Kui's is more colorful. The guest rooms are quite similar and the staff at both seem good. Yide looks like a great choice, but it is located more on the edge of the old town. As a result, I prefer Tian Yuan Kuai, because you can step outside and the shops are right there, and also you can head out and explore different directions without adding extra walking time. Pingyao is not huge, but I still like to be based closer to the middle.

Dejude is another top choice in Pingyao. It has a nice courtyard, but doesn't really compare to the others mentioned above. The restaurant has a better menu than Tian Yuan Kuai, and is a pleasant place to eat. I would not want to stay in a guest room that opens into the court with the restaurant, however. It is a bit closer to the center of things than Yide but a bit further than Tian Yuan Kuai. I also think it is less charming than the others.

None of the other places that I explored really stood out. There are higher-end and lower-end choices that may be well worth considering.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Tian yuan kui hostel in Pingyao is an interesting mixture of traditional and modern. The staff were extremely lovely and the food was tasty. The hundreds of recommendations on A3 sheets on the wall in English, French, Italian, Spanish and other languages were also testament to that.

Our waitress wrote out one of the Chinese dishes in Pinyin for me with the correct tones. Having done that every day she helped me practice my very limited mandarin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Tian Yuan Kui Hostel might also be called a hotel instead of hostel. It is perfectly located in the middle of the old town and it is frequented by many travel organisations. So be prepared to find many tourists from everywhere. The room we had was very clean and had a good and clean recently renovated spacious bath room. The nice looking bed unfortunately was not very comfortable. It was small and hard. Apart from that the room was well equiped and a good airconditioning was part of it. The room was located in a for Pingyao so typical beautiful courtyard. It adds a special feeling to your stay. The cosy but busy restaurant serves a wide variety of typical dishes and the quality is good. Above average. Also drinks can be enjoyed here. The staff is friendly, supportive and professional and English language is no problem. a Good place for your stay in Pingyao.

Stayed July 2013
Lille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

i stayed at the tian yuan kui in 2007.
the hotel was clean and the staff was really nice. the bedroom we had was amazing and the location of the hotel is the best you can get
that's the perfect place to stay in pingyao!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had no intention of staying in Pingyao - we took an overnight train to get there, and planned to tour all day and then take the train back. The day was going more or less according to plan, when our 7-year-old began to feel sick. We stepped into the nearest restaurant, looking for a washroom, and it turned out to be the Tian Yuan Kui. The power had gone out, but the ladies quickly found a flashlight and escorted the little guy to a washroom. He was still feeling unwell, but my husband and our eldest wanted to continue touring, so I said I would stay with the youngest.

Our host offered us a room, which I initially declined, but when my son continued to feel sick I accepted. She gave us a very reasonable rate, and escorted us with our many back packs to a truly lovely room with a king sized kong style bed and a second bed. She helped us get settled and even tucked my son into bed!

When the rest of our party returned, we were able to settle in, rest, and get cleaned up. The youngest slept for 3 hours and was revived. When it was time to catch our next overnight train, our host arranged a driver to take us to the train station - but not before giving us free tea and very cheap and delicious spring rolls.

My husband and I have travelled all over the world, from shoestring backpacking to 5-star resorts, and we were both deeply impressed with the care and generosity shown by the staff of the Tian Yuan Kui. There is only one place I'll be staying if and when I return to Pingyao!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AdventuresCool
Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was very satisfied with my stay in Tian Yuan Kui. I would actually not call it a hostel but it is more a hotel. Do not expect a 5-star hotel but....

The service was very good at the reception and ensured everything was ok. We got a newly decorated room with old-chinese style matching Pingyao. The room itself was clean as it was new.

Very good was the restaurant, the atmosphere is nice and the food is good. Certainly the best restaurant we tried.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pingyao County, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We loved everything about this guesthouse.
All staff were very welcoming and friendly. The rooms were immaculate- warm, cosy and clean.
The food was the best we'd had throughout our whole trip.
We enjoyed a relaxing massage in our rooms, very cheap!
We had lots of fun learning to make traditional Chinese dumplings and noodles as well.
Pingyao is a cute, traditional ancient city worth visiting!
Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family