“On the Rainy Beachfront,,”

Tranquility Guesthouse
Ranked #72 of 237 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2010

It was my 2nd time at Sihanoukville just to unwind but this time im with my hubby,2nd time around in Tranquility guest house.i'ts quite great there and value for money.Its on the beachfront so you dont have any hassle of picking up your things and going back on bed for a little rest after strolling on the sands.even it rained during our stay,the next day the sun smiled for us and we did enjoy,,hope i have a long holiday this yearend to come back at sihanoukville,and be back at tranquility.Have plans to go on Ostres ,Sokha and Bamboo Island too..and next to Phuket of course with my hubby :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 11, 2010

Well what a way to finish my holiday, i turned up at Tranquility in a little bit of trepidation, due to mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but i need not have worried about my choice of accommodation (I think some people just like to moan). Anyway i was greeted by the owners in a very friendly manner and after checking in, all the staff made me feel at home.
The bungalows are nicely decorated, clean and well maintained. The food in the restaurant is very good, especially the whole Red Snapper and the Fish Amok, but the best thing about Tranquility must be the location, right on the beach, so in the morning you step out of your bungalow and walk straight into the sea.
I was only going to stay 4 nights and then move onto Kampot and Kep, but I ended up staying 9 nights as everything at Tranquility was so perfect.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stopped here for a week in April and thought it was a perfect location on the beach. Away from some of the noisier bars. The bungalows themselves are nicely decorated and were pretty clean.

I thought the selection of food was excellent with both western and Khmer catered for and the local staff were very attentive. Ian and Sue (the owners) were also very friendly and helped to arrange transport and accommodation for other parts of my trip through Cambodia.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Was recommended by some friends who have stayed, found the staff friendly and helpful especially Ian and Susan. The location is beautiful and peaceful, for Cambodia we found the lodges to be good quality. Will be staying longer next year.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Very bad, huh! I went there, very anxiously but it turned out to be the local landfill! Very unfriendly staff told me to pay more, and even the police didn't help me. I wlked around on the slippery floors, and of course I slipped and got hurt. The fan didn't help. The bed was all bouncy and uncomfortable. I moved the next day! I tell you, never ever did I go to such a bad hotel before.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at Tranquility Gueshouse after reading some of the reviews. Now, let me just let everyone know that we are not high-maintenace and are friendly, people. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Ian, the owner...nothing special, not overly friendly, but nice. We payed $40 a night, rather than the $15, and our room was gross!! I'd say for the room we got, $15 would be fair. There were absolutely no hand towels in the bathroom, no blankets (just light sheets) and they had stains on them. Now, to get to what really choked us - the Khmer staff - brutal! The owners son's wife is Khmer and she works there too. One evening while my boyfriend and I were going out, I went to take our passports and travel documents in the safe they provide at the front desk. Anyone who travels knows how important it is to have those documents in a safe and secure place. I went up to them and three of them were sitting on the couch watching TV. I asked if they could put it in the safe and she said yes, took it and went back on the couch to watch TV. I watched her and she didn't move, so then my boyfriend went down and asked to make sure our documents were safe and she had them under the pillow on the couch!!! Not only that, but she was rude and short with him when he asked to make sure they were in the safe. Her exact words were "Fine, it's done". Obviously we were pretty shocked at that. For the next few days of our stay, we were getting looks from the rest of the staff and didn't feel comfortable. We even looked at other accomodation, but everything was full. On our last day, we ordered steak and lobster and my boyfriend SWEARS the steak wasn't steak! He almost puked right at the table, The funny thing was, the girls were all looking over at us laughing. Besides 1 friendly Khmer girl there, the staff were rude, and very cliquey. Not only that, when we checked out today, they didn't thank us for our stay, ask how it was, etc. Horrible, horrible customer service. We told the owner Ian politely about our steak and he didn't even offer to comp it, or to give us something in return. Not that we wanted anything, but horrible, horrible customer service. He didn't even say he was sorry. I would NEVER return to this dump, ever! You should see the bathrooms....the plumbing is horrific, we have pics we will post to prove it. The guesthouse was fairly empty and clearly, we can see why. The crappy rooms would have been no biggie if the customer service was great, but that sucked too!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We booked a room here, and were really disappointed. It was one of the most expensive places we stayed in Cambodia, overpriced at 30USD (room only). Our experience throughout Cambodia was that for 20-25USD you could find a really good, clean room and usually have breakfast included. We booked the day before then arrived late at night and this may have been a factor in their pricing, knowing that we were unlikely to try and find somewhere else.

The bathroom had large cracks and holes in the tiles, letting cockroaches and a mouse in (as well as the usual mosquitoes you might expect). The room was pretty grubby and in need of some renovation, and a thorough clean. The room also came with "Cable TV" but the reception on just about all the channels made it unwatchable.

On the upside the food was great and the location on the beachfront away from the crowds meant this would be a great place to eat.

In summary, worth checking out for food, but wouldn't recommend staying overnight.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family