“Dreadful”

Ranked #59 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Melbourne, Australia
“Dreadful”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was sent to Crystal Hotel because my room was double booked elsewhere.

The room that I was offered was a twin room. When I went in I smelled a strange smell but figured it must have been from the fridge, which had it's door opened and appeared to be airing out.

When I began to settle in to my room, I noticed that the bed covers were a disney print, this room was intended for children. I put two and two together, the smell that filled the room was the same that you would smell at a child care centre, like dirty nappies. With that thought I pulled back the bottom sheet to reveal the most disgusting and smelly mattress that I have ever come across. I checked the other bed and it was identical.

I went to reception to ask to move rooms but the young man serving could barely speak a word of English. I had to haul him up to my room to show him the mattress and I think he got the picture. I was eventually moved to another room. It was also twin and the mattresses were also stained but no where near as bad and not smelly. The mattresses were were foam rubber though with that egg carton type top to them, very uncomfortable to sleep on.

The bathroom also stunk and didn't appear overly clean. I am not a princess and am happy with basic rooms, my main concern is that they are clean and this one simply wasn't.
But after arriving at the hotel at 10.30pm after 15 hours travelling to get to my original hotel who had sold my room, I reluctantly stayed. But I will never be back, nor ever recommend it.

I wish I had thought to take a photo. You wouldn't have believed it!

Room Tip: If you get a twin or child's room ALWAYS pull the sheet back and check the mattress
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Wandering_Ozzie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 22, 2011

It was my first time with my family to visit Sihanoukeville and very excited to the see the beach. As soon as we arrived I was happy that the Ochheuteal beach is just a few walks away from the hotel. We dropped our bags and go straight to the beach. My only concern is the room is a little bit dark and was difficult to communicate with staff on the phone when we asked for the WIFI password and requested for an extra pillows and towels. I would say our stay is satisfactory in general.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Udon Thani Province, Thailand
Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you are looking for good value Hotel near the beach, the Crystal Hotel is a good choice.
Lots of Restauants all around.
The price and the value was for me good, so I came more times in the last years.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sicily, Italy
Reviewed August 4, 2011

nice hotel with good view of the sea from room. size of room is just right. however, room and bathroom smelt and small other than that, it's value for money, room has minibar, Roof top restaurant served Asian food and warm coffee. it close to the beach.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Stay for 2 night in November. The hotel is in a good location just in front of the beach, you can hear the sound of the wave clearly if you open the window. The staff are friendly, the rooms are big and the buffet breakfast is good in a restaurant overlook the sea.

It should be better if the staff could speak more English.

Would recommend this hotel to every one.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The wonderfully amicable and helpful receptionist, Ya Sreypich, more than compensates for the Crystal's disadvantages, SHE should be the manager.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Veronnikka
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed January 2, 2010

this hotel is in good location, good security, staff are friendly. only a few walk to reach the beach ,you can also experience the sun set just from a glance through the hotel window.Moreover, breakfast included for all roomrate.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends