All reviewssunset restaurantmain buildingprivate beachjackie kennedyglass elevatortuk tukfree shuttleinfinity poolshower curtainping pongsihanoukville towngolf buggysea viewphnom penhrelaxing stayclean beachwelcome drink
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The Independence Hotel is a recently renovated hotel which still maintains the style and charm from its opening in the 60's. The grounds are beautiful. It's somewhat remote location, though slightly inconvenient to those without transportation, provide a more tranquil setting than those hotels closer to town. The staff was very pleasant and professional. For a hotel of that quality, the meals were very reasonably priced. It is disappointing that free internet is not offered. But I have found that most, if not all, 4-5 star hotels in Cambodia charge a very high fee for internet usage while many 2-3 star hotels provide free wifi.

The only possible concern I have is that, just after I stayed at the Independence, I was a victim of credit card fraud. Of course, I cannot directly link this to my stay there. But I had not used my credit card recently prior to staying at the hotel. The only other time I've had my credit card number stolen was after staying at the Sokha Beach Resort - also located in Sihanoukville. I would definitely stay at the Independence again - but the next time I will use cash.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank pciab
Reviewed July 18, 2010

What person goes to a high-end hotel and tries to steal a book? The hotel manager suspected I would! How DISRESPECTFUL! Don't expect to get internet service here. Go to any guest house and they've got it for free.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
phnompenh, General Manager at Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comment but this is completely untrue review.. We don have hotel manager position at our hotel at all- I never meet you as well. I am sure that you must post wrong hotel location. Please remove your review out ASAP.

Regards

PHILLIP TOH

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Independence Hotel is THE only true beach resort in the small coastal Cambodian city of Sihanoukville. The private beach allows for generally unaccompanied walks and swims, coupled with available massage on the spot.

Unlike the surrounding city and hotels, Independence is isolated from the party scene downtown. It's a true vacationer's paradise for those looking for peace and quiet amidst luxurious accommodations and a massive breathtaking campus of exotic plant and wildlife.

Each morning I enjoyed greeting the friendly groundskeepers on my way to the breakfast buffet. Once there, Mary and her waitress counterparts, kept my coffee cup filled and provided very pleasant and relaxing service - even though I was usually working while eating.

On that note, Independence comes through with WIFI throughout the building - which was about as reliable as you can ask for in Cambodia. Skype, streaming music and such were no issue, even down at the beach restaurant. Why not work where you play?

Phillip Toh personally extended himself and his wonderful staff to ensure I was completely taken care of my entire stay.

Heading downtown for the nightlife was my only real challenge. The bus could stand to make more regular times and meeting areas around Sihanoukville.

All in all, the Independence Hotel was an awesome stay and a very nice way to begin my journey through Cambodia. The country's turbulent and fascinating history left its mark at the Independence far before and after Jakie O's 1965 visit. Just ask anyone and they'll tell you the incredible stories.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Independence hotel is a marvelous hotel with courteous staff, great rooms with breath-taking rooms witha view. The food there is very tasty and a good way to wind up your stay is partaking in their relaxing massages. For photo lovers, they have a private beach to catch that early morning sunrise. Their breakfast buffet offers a large variety of hot and cold foods. They have a pool, gym, safe, wireless and even a small boutique. Overall for price, security, atmosphere, and excellent customer service minutes from the beach, Independence is the place to be!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This hotel lived up to the pictures on this site as well as other sites. It was a groovy cross between French Khmer and Vegas. The rooms were immense, well outfitted, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The beds, nsm, not like home, not as bad as a resort in Mexico, either. It is far from town ($5 for a tuk-tuk which is expensive in Cambodia) and the bars and other beaches so if "remote" and "quiet" doesn't suit then you might want to stay some place else. We were at the hotel in early June and felt as if we had the place to ourselves although they were turning people away as they didn't have rooms so there was plenty of room to roam and things to do. The restaurants were attractive, impeccably clean and the service was friendly and expert. The food wasn't the best food I've ever had in my life at a hotel but I would rate it "Very Good" with enough choices between Thai, Khmer, or Western choices to last a week of eating only at the hotel.

The beach is private and the staff had a lovely way of dealing with people just wandering off the road to the beach: inviting them to have lunch at the restaurant and then enjoying the beach. Because the beach is private it's very well-maintained and spotlessly clean. The other beaches in Sihanoukville were littered and dodgy. The Gulf of Thailand was incredibly beautiful and the beach is set in a lagoon so there was not huge crashing waves which made for peaceful days of lounging under the palm umbrella, bathing in the warm water and having an Angkor beer or three.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple