All reviewssunset restaurantmain buildingprivate beachglass elevatorjacqueline kennedytuk tukfree shuttleinfinity poolshower curtainping pongsihanoukville towngolf buggysea viewphnom penhrelaxing stayclean beachwelcome drink
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Sihanouk Ville, is a unique great experience for relaxation and harmony . The cool fresh air plus the greenery atmosphere over there make me feel very romantic like in the heaven of tranquility. Furthermore I always feel that i am being pampered by the nature whenever i am standing at the beach. Thank you so much Independence Hotel for this memorable experience during my attending the Annual Strategic Review done by Borei Angkor Resort & Spa. I will stay there again soon for my personal holiday.

Room Tip: Experience with the new Villas, they are fantastic for the harmony accommodation.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I booked a studio in the new section via Booking.com because I got no response from the Independence hotel when I emailed them directly. The hotel has a prime site and wonderful stretch of private beach. It has a lot of potential, but I have rated it average because of the following:
Check in was slow, staff friendly, but seemed inexperienced
We were shown to our studio, but given no information about facilities, access to the beach, Internet access etc
No senior management overseeing reception and attending to guests - language was a stumbling block, particularly when we tried to get information about activities, going to Koh Rong, getting to Kampot and restaurant / local recommendations.
Air conditioning unit badly positioned so it blows onto bed.
No hooks in room / bathroom to hang towels, therefore, every towel is washed unnecessarily
No shade or seating on balcony area, making it totally useless.
Extensive breakfast, but with the exception of fruit and yoghurt, not great, particularly the coffee.
No Wi-Fi for two of our three nights - 1st night our room only, second night entire hotel.
Infrequent free shuttle service to town and then expensive tuk-tuks to and from hotel - $5 per trip if through hotel, I think they may get commission because if you deal direct rate is negotiable.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
PreahSihanouk, General Manager at Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Independence Hotel. We certainly have a lot to work on in preparation for your next visit.
My inquiries throughout the hotel reveal that our check-in procedure could be more efficient, there should be more in-room information about our location, services and facilities, which is currently being worked on to offer a seamless service to ensure guests get the most and best of our unique location.
There is little we can do to improve our WiFi service other than request again to our service provider. Although we offer a secluded and tranquil location, we also recognise that people need to communicate with the outside world, friends and family.
The new facilities currently being finished at the hotel obviously require more bedding-in and we guarantee that on your next visit you will enjoy the Independence Experience.

Sincerely yours,

Yin Yin Aye

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed for two nights at The Independence Hotel with our 8 months old daughter. We really liked the hotel.

Positives
- Nice and spacious rooms with a view. We stayed in the old wing and our 5th floor room had a great Sea View. There was enough space in the room for our daughter to crawl around!
- Beach! The private beach is a great great plus. It was a nice and clean beach with clear water. Hotel has a very long frontage towards the Sea and we enjoyed our walks on the beach and on the walking trail hotel has along the coast.
-Nice restaurants. The Sunset Terrace was great where one could enjoy the evening drinks sitting next to the water. History Lounge Bar had a Live performance by an enthusiastic band. There were hardly anyone in the lounge but it did not stop the band to enjoy themselves and entertain the few patrons immensely. Nice breakfast spread as well.
-Over-all facilities were nice and hotel was well maintained.
-Value for money for the kind of hotel it is. Do not compare the prices with B&Bs or small Inns. Compare it with the big hotels and resorts and one will realise how competitively priced it is.

Negative
-A bit away from Serendipity Beach and all shacks, cafes, restaurants etc. Hotel has a free shuttle to Serendipity beach. However, timings are such that most of the times you would be able to take it only one way. A tuk-tuk ride costs about $4-5 and takes 8-10 minutes. There are a few shacks next to the private beach of the hotel as well, in case one wants to go.

Verdict
Its a great place to spend few days. Recommended.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank himanshu08
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had a great time and stay at the Independence in Sihanoukville. White sand beaches and comfortable accomodations made for a great and relaxing time. Breakfast was very good along with the service and offerings at the bar. I will stay here again on my return trip to Cambodia.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights, we went once with the hotel shuttle to Serendipity Beach and were glad to return. Room rates are indeed above average but you get value for the money?
The Sea Pavillions are a very nice place to stay with a lot of privacy. I could practice my clarinette lessons without disturbing anybody. There was some noise at the beach because of the construction of a lift to the beach but it was to be finished soon. Food and drinks in the restaurant are very good and not overpriced , so no need to look for alternatives elsewhere.
The sea is perfect for swimming or for children.
The hotel concierge arranged our 7$ bus ticket to Pnom Penh.

Room Tip: As I did not see te rooms in the main building I cannot judge them.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple