All reviewssunset restaurantmain buildingprivate beachglass elevatorjacqueline kennedytuk tukfree shuttleinfinity poolshower curtainping pongsihanoukville towngolf buggysea viewphnom penhrelaxing stayclean beachwelcome drink
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Location location location! Right on the beach but a bit far out of the main town (which is probably a good thing - free transit to town at set times dureing the day or you can take a tuk tuk). The sea view was fine from the 6th floor. The beach is very good with a bar and restaurant. Why they are building a pier on the beach I don't know though - spoils the view. Sunset view good from beach and the ' Sunset Bar'. Service fine. The bar in the main hotel is souless (suggest a drink on the beach better!) and trying to much on the Jackie Kennedy links! A good beach hotel and certainly worth a try.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper levels have a better sea view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2011

After reading some of the not so great reviews of the independence hotel on tripadvisor we were a little anxious of what to expect. However as soon as we pulled up to the entrance in our car i knew instantly that i was going to like the place.
We were met by Mary from reception who was so smilely and positive that it was infectious.

Not sure about the other rooms in the older block but our room in the newer block was modern airy and had a very nice balcony which allowed great views of the sea.
The private beach was only a very short walk away and after the madness of PP was a very wellcome bonus.
The breakfast was good and there was a lot of variety, they also had an internet room where access is free.
The only negative was the times of the free shuttle service into town.(i can only assume that it is to try and make you use the hotels restaurants).
All in all a very good modern hotel which my wife and myself enjoyed.

Room Tip: Book a room in the newer block.
1  Thank yorkshiregary
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed in the New Rooms section w/ excellent ocean views w/ current Phnom Penh resident promo of $65/night. It would not be worth their Agoda price of $90+/night.

Pros- Wonderful oceanfront walkway around to their lovely private beach. Good food at reasonable prices. Very nice rooms (New section)

However be WARNED that this hotel is very isolated and would be difficult if you did not have your own transportation. Internet is also $20/day which seems pretty insane considering Sokah hotel and every other place in Sihanoukville provides it free of charge. Gym is totally dysfunctional.

Perfect for a short getaway but difficult for someone visiting w/o transportation.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms in the New section as the ocean view is much better. Alternatively you can get a room above the 5th floor for good views as well. Call the hotel and tell them you want the Phnom Penh promotion as it is a lot cheaper than rates on Agoda.
1  Thank David W
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We have just spent 3 days at the independence hotel. The rooms were fair...breakfast was not that good for a so called 4 star hotel... So save your money and eat outside if you can. The Tuck Tuck drivers at the hotel will charge $5USD to take you into town. Service at the hotel is the worst I have encountered in SE Asia. Just not enough staff and the management (HAHA) Just not competent to deal with guests.
Check your bill when leaving as they don’t seem to have any real system in place we were over charged $120USD. The position of the hotel is great this is its only saving factor. Its not the best in the vicinity there is great little guest houses with more to offer…We did find a better location with a great restaurant incorporated within their grounds the golden butterfly nice place to eat and we looked at the rooms and they were better that what we had paid 3 times as much for. Wireless connection is outrageously expensive. Would I stay again NO…Could I recommend this place… NO!
The staff are friendly but not trained in any way.

Room Tip: Dont book there....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kit148
PreahSihanouk, General Manager at Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Dear Sir/ Madame,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on the services coments in Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa. I'm truly sorry that your recent stay with us was not up to your expectations.

I read your feedback on the breakfast is not up to your expectation. In fact USD5 per way is a fix price for a tuk tuk from the hotel to the downtown. The Tuk Tuk is not belong to the hotel management. However a free shuttle service is available at every 4 hours from the hotel to Siahnoukville Downtown and as well as pick up from downtown to the hotel. Beside that we would like to apologise on the overcharge of USD120, we will brief and notify to the front office staffs to be more careful on the room charge. Pertaining the WIFI, the WIFI is free and available at the business centre, however the guest have their own right and choice on their privacy to purchase the prepaid internet card of USD20 for 24 hours use in the room.

Once again, thank you for your comeents and please do not hesitate to contact me: gm@independencehotel.net, if I can be further assistance. My team and I are glad to welcome you back again in future.

With Regards,

Thomas

Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel is huge and was 90% empty when we were there, so very little ambiance. The staff was friendly but the whole place feels old and dated. The ac is a general system and took more then 2 hours to cool our room, on top of that it was very noisy. The TV was old and small.The location of the hotel is very isolated, abosolutely nothing near it. A twenty min. $5 tuktuk drive to the nearest restaurant. But the worst was that they charge $20 per day for internet use. We only stayed one night instead of our planned 6 and moved to a much newer luxery modern hotel that only cost $30 a night, wifi included.

9  Thank MarieHu

Dear SIr / Madame,

Thankl you very much for taking time to write a review about Independence Hotel., Resort & Spa. I'm truly sorry that your recent stay with us was not up to your expectations.

I read and review your coments on WIFI facilities and the services issue and Im sincerely apologize for our short comings, especially the airond and the wifi facilities.I agreed that every guest should feel at home from the first moement they arrive. It is certainly not acceptable that the room was not cold after 2 hour after we switch on the aircond. We also noted the condition of property and we have been maintaining it overtime with minor refurbishments and we also noted the tv need to be upgrade or change.

Once again, thank you for your coments and please do not hesitate to contact me: gm@independencehotel.net, if I can be of further assistance. My team and I glad to welkcome you back again in the future.

With Regards,