“Try to get a room by the pool”

Orchidee Guest House
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Try to get a room by the pool”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I think our stay would have been better if we didn't stay in room 108. My sister and brother-in-law said the room by the pool that they stayed in was nicer. Room 108 needs to be updated a little. The curtain is really old and had a stain on it. I hope they also change the red pillows in that room. There were white stains on them. The beds were comfortable enough.

The food in their restaurant is good and reasonably priced. Try the spring rolls and deep fried shrimp.

The service was excellent. The front desk people were easy to talk to and were helpful with getting bus tickets and gave us no problems when we had to change arrangements. They have really cool tuk-tuks that are about a dollar or two for hire to get around town. They also have a cute little boutique.

Overall, stay in a newer room or in a room by the pool.

• Stayed March 2013
jannarat, Owner at Orchidee Guest House, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and the contents of it is just the way I think is best your your fellow travellers and for our guesthouse too.

I like your constructive criticism and I will certainly pay attention to your remarks about the curtains and pillows.
The red pillows are just for decoration and the covers can be cleaned and changed.

Room 108 and 107 are not my favorite rooms too but still convenient for families and small groups of not more than 3 persons.
Nicer rooms, if with 3 persons are the big corner rooms around the pool and our 2 family rooms.
One family room for 4 persons and one for 5 persons.
For just 3 persons there is not much of a choice.

As earlier mention I thank you for your constructive criticism and I will work on mentioned points

Please come back and check again.

Jan de Jongh (owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
london
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We read positive reviews about this place and spent 4 nights there, but we were very disappointed. It was quite dirty: from the floors to the linens in the bedrooms, everything could have benefited by a thorough wash ... The complex is like a rabbit-warren, with no space, very crowded, no flowers or plants or green anywhere. The breakfast was appalling: no fruit, no water, no yoghurt, etc.etc .There were lots of sex-tourists in company of young local girls, the swimming pool is squashed in front of rooms, and to top it all the complex is sorrounded by razor wire! For the price, one could find better, we wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jannarat, Owner at Orchidee Guest House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I do not thank you for your review.

I already wrote a response but this was removed due to the fact that I violated the guidelines and you certainly don't. Just another try.

I do not understand that you stayed "4" nights in such a quite dirty place without having clean linens while there are better places to find for the same or better price. If I remember correctly you stayed in a 34$ triple room with free breakfast for 3 persons. I would not even stay there one night.

The word "rabbit-warren" was used in an earlier review and luckily many other guests are thinking in a different way about it. On our You Tube you see a walk through this warren.

In the old times without having the pool area and the area next to the pool, barb wire was needed in order to keep uninvited guests outside. With our walls, guards and security system we can remove the wire.

No flowers or plants or green anywhere! I certainly wish to recommend glasses and you can see the proof it on our You Tube and website.

"Appalling" breakfast without fruit, water and yoghurt. I see every day coffee, tea, orange juice, ice tea. Water can be asked and is free of charge. Extra fruit or yoghurt can be ordered and has to be paid. Besides the missing parts I see different kind of bread, ham, cheese, croissant, chocolate bread, bacon, sausages, eggs etc.

A squashed pool with around it 5 metres of space at all sides with chairs for sunbathing, trees and plants but yes it is still squashed or better well constructed on an area of 1000 m2,

A real allegation with or without proof??. "Sextourists with young local girls. Lots of them. Any proof?? because we (and the government) do not allow young girls under the age of 18 on our premises. Our reception is checking ID's

At 5 o'clock my staff is starting with cleaning all floors and as from 08.00 hours 4 ladies are starting with cleaning all dirty linens and I think that everybody is doing a good job. It is the choice of each guest to have clean linen everyday or not.

Next time staying in Asia I hope you find a better and cheaper place than having a bad holiday.

Jan de Jongh (owner)

Travelers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After a fellow traveller recommended this place as "delightful" we booked to stay 3 nights, however when we arrived we decided to change that to one night. We were more disappointed with the serendipity beach area than the actual hotel itself... Not the type of place we had in mind... Too many old fat men with very young Khmer girls, drunk backpackers and it felt very trashy, our mistake. We moved to otres beach,cleaner and quieter.

The hotel itself was fine, definitely not "delightful" but if you are looking for a room around $35 it's probably good value for money. Good location, away from
The horrendously tacky beachfront. My sister was greeted with a unpleasant odour in her room upon arrival, staff solution was to spray air freshener but the smell got worse over night. My room was clean, had a small balcony overlooking the car park, it felt secure (as a girl staying alone very important for me). Breakfast was average. The pool area was average.

If I had to stay at serendipity beach area again id stay here but I hope that day never comes!

• Stayed March 2013
jannarat, Owner at Orchidee Guest House, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Reading your review I got the idea that you were not staying in our guesthouse but in a guesthouse or hotel on or near Serendipity Beach.
We are 200 mtr's away from Ochheuteal Beach and at the far end of this beach you will find Serendipity Beach.

Further I was surprised reading words like "grubby, horrendously tacky beachfront, old fat men and 2 times average"

Looking at many reviews about Ochheuteal and Serendipity I wish to say that 10 persons have , luckily, 10 different opinions due to the fact that I hear similar words from other tourists about Otres plus some extra words like "robbing and stealing".

Unpleasant odour might have been caused by the spraying of all the wooden doors which is rather penetrating and for which I wish to apologize.
In this kind of climate we are forced to respray all wood at least once or twice a year and rainy season is a too difficult time for this job.

Sihanoukville has many beaches, so a lot of choice, if you are coming again to Cambodia.

Anyway I thank you for your review and hope to read a next time the word delightful.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 13, 2013

rooms and span a sizeable budget spectrum. not expensive rooms are on the small side but still have en suite bathrooms and air-con. As prices increase, rooms get newer and more spacious, with the best value ones encircling the deep blue pool. Those at the highest end of the range are newly built with private balconies ; at the low are slightly grim rooms on the ground floor of the main building. An ample, though repetitive, buffet breakfast is included with rooms over $20. Previously, Orchidee received complaints of inattentive and unfriendly staff but when we visited they were helpful

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jannarat, Owner at Orchidee Guest House, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we are busy and planning to change the slightly "grim" rooms" too.

Our buffet breakfast is free of charge for all room rates as from 30$ and higher not 20$.

I can asure you that we will continue to give the best service as possible.

Please come back again.

Takeo, Cambodia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I will stay here again, but I will be asking to stay in the NEW area. Our room was below average. As we entered it, we were treated to a nice urine smell. The fridge looked like it was from the 80's and when we opened it, we were treated to another smell. Besides that the room was decent. We stayed with another couple. When we headed back to Phnom Penh they switched rooms and said the next one was far better. My advice is simple, don't stay in the room behind the reception desk, I think it was 108?On the other side the food was good along with the staff. A really cool thing that I liked was the in-house Tuk Tuk service. Super cheap, and it saves you with fighting with Tuk Tuks outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room by the pool or in the new area!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
After 10 years Orchidee Guesthouse I had the pleasure reading many reviews.

Contents from Bad vibrations until Perfect place and from A quiet place to call home until Pass your way stranger but you are the very first one with a nice "urine" smell.

As you may have read from my answers to the reviews I hate bad smells and urine is one of them so you can be asured that your complaint will be handled carefully in order to avoid to read one more time this kind of smell.

Orchidee was constructed in 1995 so one thing for sure the fridge is after this period. Retro style??
Triple rooms like 108 are many time used by our Khmer guests and if they are using the fridge for storing Durians the smell will be staying there for many days. I love Durians but can imagine that other guests hate the smell like the smell of smoking

I am happy to read that you will stay with us again and I am looking forward to welcoming you.

Melbourne
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

After checking out a few options for myself and a mate, we opted to take a room each at this place. So glad we did. We are realistic, relatively undemanding travellers, so to pay $22 and $26 for our rooms represented excellent value for our budget.

The room had a safe, fast WiFi, air con and were decent sizes. The location relative to the beach was again good for the price, I didnt eat at the guesthouse so can't comment on that.

The staff kept the place clean, and were friendly and helpful. Jan even organised a free tuk tuk to collect us, which was doubly impressive as I'd given him the wrong location by mistake. Since he had asked me which bus company we were us using, he had someone there for us to take us to the hotel, most impressed by that.

All in all, fantastic time, only regret never met Jan to thank him personally.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JimboJonesMelbourne
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your spending your time writing this review. Highly appreciated.

Maybe you met or saw me but did not know it was me. Man with glasses, moustache and many times walking around with his grandson on his arms or shoulder.

Pick up service is just an extra service to our guests if they are telling us the departure time from Phnom Penh or Siem reap plus the NAME of the bus company.

Next time try the food of our restaurant and you will certainly not be disappointed.

Up till the next fantastic time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is my home from home! Its in a central location, has clean rooms, caring and very courteous staff, with reasonable rates and its quiet and safe and suitable for all the family.. I could not think of staying anywhere else. So if you want to enjoy Sihanoukville yet get away from the noise and the crowd, come and be treated like one of the family. That's why I keep coming back again and again and again! Thank you Management and staff.

Room Tip: I always choose the same room right beside the pool. Its convenient to reception and just four steps...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
jannarat, Owner at Orchidee Guest House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Sorry to leave!! Nobody is or was forcing you to do.

Thank you for your very nice review. It is really refreshing reading it after a sloppy and pass your way review.

It is our pleasure having you in Orchidee Guesthouse and I am looking forward to meeting you and your friends again.

Until we meet again.