“Best value for money in Otres”
Review of Otres Lodge

Otres Lodge
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We originally booked a 3 night stay for a bit of a break away from the hubbub of the city. My first time to Sihanoukeville so relied heavily on TA reviews. Very happy we chose Otres Lodge. Turned out to be one of the best accommodation facilities in the best area of the best beach in the Sihanoukeville area. Seriously, if you want some peace and quiet away from the bar scene but still want a great variety of eating places that you don't have to travel miles to get to, then you need to stay at Otres 1 beach. The beach here is cleaner than Otres 2 as well. Much nicer. Otres lodge is across the road from the beach and right in the centre of Otres 1. It is a traditional thatched roof, timber constructed complex of bungalows but with the 'mod cons' like a bathroom with real hot shower (although low pressure). If you are after a true beach front bungalow in Otres area be prepared to get a tiny, basic fully thatched room (poor security) with shared bathroom. That may be romantic if you don't mind waiting for the bathroom and getting stuff stolen. For me though I much preferred the superior standards all round that this place afforded at not much extra $$. They do have air con rooms however we found the fan room with additional floor fan to be good. This place also has a nice clean pool and large screen TV in the common area. Great if you are a sports fan. This was extremely popular on the night of the FIFA World Cup final! Probably our only negative for our stay here was that we had a rat visit us at night a few times and it chewed a few small things. This wasn't a big deal to us really however I imagine it may be for some. You have to understand that you are in a third world country and if this is as bad as it gets you really can't complain. I did not mention it to staff but I am sure they would have acted on it if I did. They were great. They even changed our mattress for us as my wife needed something firmer. We were so happy with our stay we extended another two nights. And here is a tip for you - if you stay during the low season it is much cheaper dealing direct than through the online accommodation booking sites. This place really is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014
joey_otreslodge, Manager at Otres Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you so much for your good review and good understanding. Thank you so much for staying here at Otres Lodge, we wish you welcome back anytime =)

Best regards
Joey

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The best part are the owner and staff, who are always helpful and great to have a drink and a laugh with. Thank you to Dean, Xiao, Joey, Lars and the others who made my stay feel very welcoming. There's also a good mix of people who stay or visit for some fun and you'll have a good day / night every time. The rooms and location are great too but it's the people that make it. Will certainly return here if I go back to Cambodia again.

Room Tip: Leave the room, go to the bar
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This is by far the best place in Otres beach (and also the most expensive we checked out at $30 US night no breakfast included) - the going rate seems to be around $10-20 US. But it's well worth the extra bucks. The only one with a pool and perfectly located across the road from restaurants and the beach. They have a big screen so I was really happy to be able to watch my team play AFL. The rooms are spacious, beds have mosquito nets (no holes) although the overhead fans don't really do a good enough job to cool the room, so you need to ask for the additional upright fan also. Shower wasn't as good as another we stayed at and our bed had some small black bugs crawling all over it. I know this sounds awful but you need to remember where you are and there are sandflies and mozzies everywhere so it would be hard to control. The staff were happy to give us some spray for the room to fix this. Joey and Lars make the place though as the owner (Dean) is a nice guy but he's always drunk no matter what time of day it is, promising things to guests that can't be delivered. We knew about this from another family who stayed so we took it in our stride. Overall generally clean and comfortable place to visit.

Room Tip: Try and get the room with AC and TV. Not all rooms have these and it doesn't cost any extra
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel I have to write one for Otres Lodge.

What makes a difference at Otres Lodge: the people. The staff at Otres - namely Joey, Lars and Xiao (the ones who ran the place when I was there). They're welcoming, cater to your every need, and do a brilliant job running the bar. Joey makes a mean cocktail (ask for Joey's Passion). The food's great too. They're also the4 only ones on Otres that had the FIFA World Cup on. Great vibe, great crowd that comes in here from all walks of life - friendly, fun and generally just an unforgettable time to be had. Go to Otres, stay at this place! Can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Nikhil C
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've stayed at Otres Lodge a couple of times now, and will surely be back for more. The bungalows are gorgeous and very spacious, kept nice and tidy and with hot showers (a rarity in Otres!) Each bungalow comes complete with comfy chairs on the balcony, perfect for chilling out after a long, hard day at the beach (which is just a short walk across the road).
The common area includes a full bar and restuarant menu, along with a clean, blue pool, a dart board, a pool table, and some table games. The food is excellent and can brag the BEST burgers in Asia. I hear great things about the beef burgers, but as a veggie can vouch that they know what they're doing with the big, juicy, delicious veggie burger as well.
The bar staff is great, very friendly, super helpful, and great for a chat over some Anchors in the evening ;)
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at otres lodge for 5 nights, everything here was excellent, the staff are absolutely amazing, going out of their way to cater to your every need, all you have to do is ask! The bungalows are large and spacious and the pool and bar are great places to relax

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I went to stay for a couple of nights and ended up staying for a week. Otres Lodge is perfectly located right next to the beach, it has an awesome pool with clean water, the only pool in Otres, and large well-constructed bungalows.

The owner and staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and often go out of their way to make everyone as comfortable as possible. They just want you to enjoy your stay as much as possible, and it really shows.

There is a large pool table, and a projector with which you can watch the World Cup every night it's on. It's made even better by the owner, staff and people who all come to watch it or just have a good time by the bar too.

The wifi connection is good and included free of charge also.

Of all the accommodation available in Otres Beach, Otres Lodge by far is the best in my opinion. It is very clean, looks great from before you even step foot into the place with the pool and bar, and I would recommend it to everyone looking for good accommodation in Otres Beach.

A special thanks to Dean the owner, Joey and Chau (hope I got her name right) for a great experience, I will definitely be going back again!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo