“Great Price!”
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here at the US government rate, so I'm not sure if it is always as cheap as we paid, but if so, this has to be the best value luxury resort in the world. We were warmly greeted by the staff, in English. On arrival to my gorgeous room, I find a plate of chocolates with my name written in chocolate drizzle. We had an excellent dinner at the deck and then it was off to bed. My room did appear to have some termites, but since termites don't tend to bother people, I barely noticed them. The thing I couldn't not get over was how great the price was for this luxury resort. Granted, it was about 4 times the price of the guest houses, which is probably well over the heads of the locals, but fits nicely into a tight western budget. Breakfast was outstanding as well with a combination of eastern and western food. My only wish was that our business trip had allowed us to stay longer. Theh pool was gorgeous and the beach was practically empty with perfect sand and water.

Room Tip: I'm guessing ocean view is the best, but I had a garden view which was lovely to look at
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Really nice resort and a great private beach. Beds were very comfortable. Staff were very nice and friendly - some were more knowledgeable than others (Sam at the front desk was absolutely wonderful).

The private beach was the best beach that we have been to, with lovely clean sand and no hassle from any sellers. Lovely warm ocean too which is great for swimming in.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JonP77
Reviewed November 27, 2013

i found this hotel to be a very welcoming, I find that in my travels around the world that some people don't talk to the staff but staff were great and all could speak Good English the temp manager was great very friendly ,Even thou we didn't get the cuppa lol lol Food and breakfast very good cook on hand to cook eggs fresh and how you like them,Hotel good location beach and bars 5 minute walk,Room tidy and cleaned Daily Hotel quiet would deco recommend and i am not easy pleased.

Room Tip: Rooms are clean and tidy Tidy air con fine,
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jaffass
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My stay at Sokha was very ok due entirely because of the great beach. I stayed in a deluxe room which was literally 800 metres from the main restaurants/lobby. When I asked to be moved to accommodation closer to the main facilities of the hotel, i was told I couldn't as it was booked out (it obviously wasn't). The pool in my "area" was like a warm bath and very shallow with the bar shut. I had to walk the 800 metres (you could call a golf cart to come pick you up) to the main area. Due to the very high ratio of Asians in my area (which if fine) there was no western breakfast options, so again the dreaded 800m walk in tropical heat. The rooms were not well kept at all, drainage clogged with hair etc. but i must say great bed. Food was mediocre but cheaply priced compared to other resorts. I cannot fault the staff, what they lacked in proficiency they made it up by their friendly manner. In all I would stay there again because of the beach ,but only on the proviso my room was guaranteed in the main area and knowing my expectations would not be too high.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank john f
Reviewed November 23, 2013

.... in all honesty it definitely wasn't worth what we paid for it. In comparison to other places we stayed in Cambodia, Sokha Beach Resort was hugely overpriced.

My partner and I thought we would lash out and get one of the water chalets. We were upgraded to the one that had a hot tub on the deck and it was in a nice location on the lagoon with a view of the ocean. The chalet was comfortable and clean, but tired and in need of some love. The beach was clean with nice white sand. Most staff we dealt with were polite, if not very friendly, and the breakfast quite good. What we *really* enjoyed was our sunset drinks and tapas at The Deck and I will review this separately as it deserves it!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

It could be the best hotel in Sihanoukville but the rooms are not well designed and smelly. The service in the restaurants is unorganized. It was almost impossible to get a fresh cup of coffee for breakfast while the staff was standing around and seemed to be busy with simply doing nothing.  Save your money and choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank vincewayn
Reviewed November 20, 2013

the resort has its own beach as they say but in fact the end of the beach is a public beach.
The breakfast is great for everyone no complaints there.
the rooms like the rest of the hotel are in very nice condition for a 9 year old complex.
The pool is good and kept clean every day.
the grounds are nice with grass trimmed with paths leading all over the place.
the fitness room again very clean and tidy with plenty of fitness toys.
Evening food is pricey for what you get as are the drinks, if you were a foursome spending say £100 in drinks per week outside the resort prices would be maybe £600 and the food outside some 2/3rd less. The resort stands on its own and the 15 minute walk is tiring in the heat so a tuk tuk is needed they will try you for 5$ or even more as they know you are trapped.
I found the best way was to grab a tuk tuk bringing someone in from town then the fare was only 2$. The beach just round the cove is in contrast dirty and busy and I ate there only one time and it was to be regretted very quickly as I raced to find a toilet, that was surprisingly quite clean.
My advise would be use the hotel as it is possibly the best around but eat and drink out as the week could get expensive. my one meal for 2 persons with 2 drinks came to 30$ I ate outside had 4 beers each and a meal for 2 just 12$. when I go back I will seek a hotel in town and use there beach or one of the fine other beaches further down the coast

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple