“Lovely beach”

Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely beach”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My stay at Sokha was very ok due entirely because of the great beach. I stayed in a deluxe room which was literally 800 metres from the main restaurants/lobby. When I asked to be moved to accommodation closer to the main facilities of the hotel, i was told I couldn't as it was booked out (it obviously wasn't). The pool in my "area" was like a warm bath and very shallow with the bar shut. I had to walk the 800 metres (you could call a golf cart to come pick you up) to the main area. Due to the very high ratio of Asians in my area (which if fine) there was no western breakfast options, so again the dreaded 800m walk in tropical heat. The rooms were not well kept at all, drainage clogged with hair etc. but i must say great bed. Food was mediocre but cheaply priced compared to other resorts. I cannot fault the staff, what they lacked in proficiency they made it up by their friendly manner. In all I would stay there again because of the beach ,but only on the proviso my room was guaranteed in the main area and knowing my expectations would not be too high.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank john f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

.... in all honesty it definitely wasn't worth what we paid for it. In comparison to other places we stayed in Cambodia, Sokha Beach Resort was hugely overpriced.

My partner and I thought we would lash out and get one of the water chalets. We were upgraded to the one that had a hot tub on the deck and it was in a nice location on the lagoon with a view of the ocean. The chalet was comfortable and clean, but tired and in need of some love. The beach was clean with nice white sand. Most staff we dealt with were polite, if not very friendly, and the breakfast quite good. What we *really* enjoyed was our sunset drinks and tapas at The Deck and I will review this separately as it deserves it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

It could be the best hotel in Sihanoukville but the rooms are not well designed and smelly. The service in the restaurants is unorganized. It was almost impossible to get a fresh cup of coffee for breakfast while the staff was standing around and seemed to be busy with simply doing nothing.  Save your money and choose a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank vincewayn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

the resort has its own beach as they say but in fact the end of the beach is a public beach.
The breakfast is great for everyone no complaints there.
the rooms like the rest of the hotel are in very nice condition for a 9 year old complex.
The pool is good and kept clean every day.
the grounds are nice with grass trimmed with paths leading all over the place.
the fitness room again very clean and tidy with plenty of fitness toys.
Evening food is pricey for what you get as are the drinks, if you were a foursome spending say £100 in drinks per week outside the resort prices would be maybe £600 and the food outside some 2/3rd less. The resort stands on its own and the 15 minute walk is tiring in the heat so a tuk tuk is needed they will try you for 5$ or even more as they know you are trapped.
I found the best way was to grab a tuk tuk bringing someone in from town then the fare was only 2$. The beach just round the cove is in contrast dirty and busy and I ate there only one time and it was to be regretted very quickly as I raced to find a toilet, that was surprisingly quite clean.
My advise would be use the hotel as it is possibly the best around but eat and drink out as the week could get expensive. my one meal for 2 persons with 2 drinks came to 30$ I ate outside had 4 beers each and a meal for 2 just 12$. when I go back I will seek a hotel in town and use there beach or one of the fine other beaches further down the coast

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brian s
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The most beautiful beach in Sihanoukville with white sands and stunning sunset. Pool area is quiet and cozy surrounded by beautiful garden.Room is ok since the smell is unpleasant.
BUT...The customer service is terrible.
This is my 7th hotel in Cambodia. It is the most expensive hotels I book in Cambodia and the service from their staff is the worst.
I checked-in pretty late in the afternoon, and I have to go to Kampot the next day. I am a solo traveler so hotle receptionist is on my trust list. I asked if they can book a bus to Kampot tomorrow for me. A nice female receptionist with big smile said to me for sure she will find me in my room for booking details. I thought maybe its a good service because they dont want customer to wait.
After few minutes, she came to my room, said she called the bus company and asked 13 dollars for the bus. I was surprised because mini VIP bus from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville only costs 16 dollars and its 4 1/2 hours driving. Sihanoukville to Kampot only take 2 hours. So I ask why is that expensive. She explained because there was festival and vacation going to and thats why it is expensive. I belived and gave her the money.No more than 15 minutes she came again said every bus companies in town were fully booked. So she offered me a private taxi from the hotel which cost $60 dollars.After some negotiation we settled to $55. At last, she said please dont tell the hotel because I do this only for you.
I was suddenly feel something. I went to the front desk ask a male receptionist about where to buy a bus ticket. He said no people from here to Kampot. Only private taxi!
So almost 8pm I went to town center and easily bought a ticket only 5 dollars and according to them, lots of seats available.
When I back to the hotel I was very angry, asked my $13 back and need to speak to manager. When the duty manager come, 2 of the receptionist talk to the manger first while I standing there. The duty Manager explained lots of excuses to me and seemed he was not surprised or angry about what happended. I guess the manger knows about how receptionist from this hotel scam cutomers frequently.
I asked if I get discount on room rate or something, manger refused and only offer me free fruits or next time free pick-up.
The next morning when I was getting on the bus, the manager came and point at the bus I book and langh, said: this is not a bus! it is small!
Well, I stayed in a 5 stars so I have to take a Limo to Kampot?
This is not a 5 stars hotel service.
Vey disappointed.
I know maybe it is only personal, not all of receptionists or duty managers are like this
But I think its the responsibility hotel trains professional staff not some scamsters.

PS: If hotel management see this, I would like to provide names of those people

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Grace W
wales
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Having spent a hectiic two weeks travelling we d booked here to unwind.I wasn t looking forward to it having read other reviews.However,much to my relief i was pleasantly surprised.Having a little experience of foreign hotels you soon realise what to expect.We were warmly greeted and efficiently booked in.Our room was large , clean and comfy.All of the staff we encountered were polite , helpful and always smiling.The pool area was clean spaciious and relaxing .We did venture onto the beach , beautiful white sand , thete was a bit of rubbish but i think they try to keep it clean.The sunsets were stunning.There was plenty of choice for breakfast , lots freshly made for you.The only other place we ate was tapas on the deck.A must as the sun is setting add cocktails , perfect.
The only thing i can really gripe about was the lack of hot water.If you filled the bath for one of you the other person had to wait ages for a shower.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I am a backpacker, this isn't my usual type of place, but I had spent 4 nights sleeping in a treehouse in Siem Riep, in a flooded jungle, and after a hideous coach trip to Sihanoukville, I fancied a couple of nights of luxury. The Cambodian staff were absolutely faultless, too polite for my liking to be honest, my main problem with this place was the horrific behaviour of the other guests. I was being my normal self, talking to, and being friendly with the staff at the pool bar, and in the space of 2 hours, I witnessed other guests whistle at staff, click their fingers at them, shout at them, and berate them in front of their fellow travellers whilst laughing and throwing money on the floor for the staff to pick up. If that is what you want to see, then stay here, but in my opinion it is vile, I have never seen such disgusting behaviour, and this was coming from the "high end" of the market. I moved to Sunday guest house near the golden lions afterwards. $10 a night, just as clean, and we used to eat with the local staff every night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.