“However it is best choice in Sihanoukville.”
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The location of the hotel is magnificent. It has a large beautiful park. His large, white, private beach allows you to enjoy the sea in peace. The service is good but not 5 star. The hotel has two restaurants, one is a buffet, the other in the end of the beach offers good food in a romantic atmosphere. Only critical point are the rooms in the annex outside the main hotel, these are sad and far from the beach. However it's the best choice in Sihanoukville.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Picomplex
Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Spend 10 days at the resort in January 2013, This is our second time in the hotel, first was in 2007, and we will definetely continue to return to this place. We are a family with 2 children 5+8 and stayed in one room. we did not have to pay for extra bed or breakfast as in many other hotels in Cambodia.
There is a great relaxed atmosphere about the place, the staff is very friendly and helpfull, the garden is nice, swimming pools fine and the beach is GREAT is you like a white sand beach without locals selling food sunglasses etc. Drinks and food is expensive compared to the rest of Sihanoukville, but nobody forces you to eat there, and not many do.
The weekends are crowded, but you can still find sun beds on the beach and swimming pool.

Room Tip: I will recomend staying in the 2 old wings (Ocean wiew) as the other 2 parts (lake view) are much ne...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed January 16, 2013

stayed there in november 2011, so the hotel was not crowded yet.

service:
very good service, staff speak enough english but since both my parents speak khmer i guess it helps to communicate with staff.
anyway, staff were very attentive and helpfull. we had lots of little attentions from them thoughout our 3 nights stay.

restaurent:
very good food (both khmer and western ) although a bit pricy. lot of choice for breakfast.

facilities:
the pool clean and big.
the private beach: really the best part of this hotel! big, really clean, quiet and enough seats for everyone, with huts and shades everywhere.

Location:
quite remote from the town. need to ride tuk tuk about 10 minutes to get to the town center.

the room:
quite small for 3 people. Basic funishing, and old tv.

i would however go back there for the great service, and the amazing private beach.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cricri003
Reviewed January 16, 2013

First off, I am writing this review from the basis of somebody who paid approx. US$522 (incl. taxes) per night, to stay in one of the ‘new’ Water Chalet’s. To summarise, I paid 5 Star rates for a 3.5 Star experience. Some of my points may seem petty, but for a hotel that wants to charge these sorts of prices and claim to be 5 Star… I think they are very valid.

Good points:
- Some of the staff are trying very hard
- Pool is clean
- Food in The Deck / Lemongrass is lovely and fairly priced

Bad points:
- After check in they took me to a room which wasn’t the one I booked. It was actually $100 cheaper per night. They tried to fob me off saying they are the same but I didn’t accept that, I showed them their own website from which I had booked, then they moved me the next day.
- At check in, I was instructed I HAD to pay $90 for a New Years Gala dinner. Had that been part of the equation when booking, fine, but it wasn’t. It was sprung on me at check in. Seemed a bit cheeky.
- In my room, there was a filthy yellow substance in the bath that stunk of fish. It was foul and making the whole bathroom smell. Odd seeing as I had had to wait 2 hours for the room to be cleaned before checking in.
- The lake that the Water Chalet’s are situated on stinks. The water is still, so it is stagnating. It’s brown and unpleasant. This makes use of the private deck unappealing.
- Lots of dirty plates at buffet and unattentive restaurant staff in every restaurant (except Lemongrass). One day in the A La Carte Restaurant, I witnessed so many guests clearing their own plates!
- Getting poolside waiter service is difficult, the staff are too busy ‘folding napkins’ at the bar so as to avoid coming round and asking people if they want a drink. From the hotels perspective, why isn’t a manager encouraging his/her staff to offer guests drinks/food so they ultimately spend money?!
- The sunbeds around the pool are REALLY uncomfortable – very thin sponge mattress over a wooden deck chair. The planks dig into your body and make lying down uncomfortable.

Not really a 5 Star experience, of a 4 Star at that.
This hotel is huge. They have run before they can walk.
I would only recommend you stay at this hotel if you get a really good rate. It’s worth $100 a night at best. I’m really disappointed I spent my Christmas holidays / New Years here. For the money I spent I feel really let down.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank willtalbot1
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A nice 5-star resort (even if they only advertise four), but "Just" a resort.

Pool is nice, and so is the pool bar, but beach is what counts and it is good and private.

The resort gardens are huge, and if you take the time to walk to the end of the private beack you will find an an amazing hotel restaurant on the beach-front called "the Deck" with great tapas, international and cambodian food, as well as great indoor & outdoor lounge area. Definately a winner.

For kids there is a nice outdoor playground as well as a staffed indoor room where you can leave your child.

The fitness center is very large and good.

As such - no complaints. In our case we did end up with a quite significant extra-cost for food and stuff as we spent the better part of a week at the hotel.

The spa was also good, although their massage is a bit basic.

We did not try the casino.

Room Tip: Stayed in a Junior Suite as well as a standard "Ocean Wing" room. Depending on your needs...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in Sokha Beach Resort for six nights and celebrated New Years Eve here. The hotel is huge and felt a bit like a holiday factory. During our stay the hotel was fully booked which meant staff was overworked, beach chairs were only available if you put your towels on them early in the morning and pool/beach towels were not always available. I felt sorry for the staff because afther New Years eve they looked so tired. The beach arey is very nice and we spent some lovely days there. Wifi in the room is unreliable. The room looked somewhat outdated and our terrace was only two steps away from the main restaurant where breakfast was served so we had no privacy. The bathroom was quite OK (it looked newer) but the warm water supply was insufficient for taking a warm bath. If you stay there, take your meals at Lemon Grass restaurant which is lovely and serves first class food. The hotel is quite close tot Ocheutal/Serendipity beach where you will find many bars and restaurant which serve drinks and food at very low prices. You can sit on the beach with your feet in the sand and enjoy a beach barbeque for 3 dollars.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francie007
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The resort is a self-proclaimed 5 star resort. Against this standard, I would give it a 'poor' rating. The location, beach and pools are 5 star, however, the overall facility and cleanliness of the rooms was 3 star and the service a 1 star. We had difficulty ordering meals and getting towels, and the air conditioning in the rooms was substandard. My room had ants in it.

We stayed in the Lakeside Villas, near the Dolphin Bar, Pool Bar and Turmeric Restaurant. We had difficulty ordering at the Dolphin Bar due to their having no ice (multiple times), nor did they have many of the items on their limited menu. The waiter could not understand basic English. The Pool Bar is a part of the Dolphin Bar and they never served at the latter location. The hotel's website states that the Turmeric Restaurant is open from 6:30 am to 11:00 pm, but it is not (even during our stay during 'high season'). It is only open for a breakfast buffet, where the service is slow and, again, we had to ask for ice repeatedly before they fulfilled our request. When food items were ordered, it typically took 45 minutes to receive our order.

Cambodia is hot. So, like many others, we would usually rise early in the morning to start our day, knowing that we would take a break mid-afternoon. Unfortunately, there were no staff at the pool until 10:30 or 11:00 each morning to hand out pool or beach towels. There were also a lot of mosquitos at this location. We also stayed in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and had no mosquito activity at all, so I was surprised at the number of bites I received while staying here.

The Jasmine Spa was nice, but there was confusion about the type of spa appointment I booked, resulting in a change in service from what I anticipated. It's too bad this resort is so sloppy in execution, because they have a beautiful location with a gorgeous beach and nice pools. We stayed in other hotels in Cambodia that cost half, to a third, of what we paid at this resort, and their staff was gracious, competent and easy to communicate with. It would only take a little training and some buffing up with the facility to really make this resort a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family