“Excellent family resort”

Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Bengaluru, India
“Excellent family resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Sokha Beach resort and their sister property at Sokha Angkor during a family trip in July this year (2 small kids and 2 adults). We were very happy with the place and the attention we received. We also loved the beach, very clean and quiet (but then we were there during the off-season). The stand-out moment was when we booked a car to take us to Phnom Penh to catch our flight. They took one look at our luggage and upgraded us to a van free of charge! Great place and very family friendly..

Room Tip: We took the regular rooms, we didnt like the villas as they seemed to be over the backwaters and it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HappypapaBostonMA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Prague
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I do understand that hotel staff cant do anything with mosquitos and other flying insect. But watch yours steps when entering the bathroom as it might happen that you tread on the cockroach like my wife last night. The pros are that the hotel staff is ready to offer you the change of the room which they consider is more save, the cons are that despite you want to talk to general manager, your disapointment is settled by front office managers only. Dont know if the feedback of the client is something he or she something under his recognition level or he/she is not informed at all.
Other service looks fine so far, the hotel staff is very helpfull, the breakfest quality good.
David from Prague

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David R
S0khaH, Executive Assistant at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Mr. David,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience during your recent stay at the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville Province.

While I am proud to read your comments on our helpful staffs, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction with mosquito, other flying insect, and the cockroach in the bathroom, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that we were encountered during your stay.

The concerned departments and managers have been notified and we will get these rectified immediately.

I once again appreciate your constructive comments and would like to apologize on behalf of the team and I would take pleasure in welcoming you back.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling back to the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The 3.5 hour drive down from Phnom Penh in a narrow road in traffics of cars and very slooooooow loaded trucks was harrowing and unsafe. Worse in the rain!!! Would not take that ride again unless road improvement is made!

Went for a 2 night stay with family, got a 2 room suite for the family. The resort located not far from town central is expansive and unusual/sloppy design with new and old buildings. The private beach is beautiful and clean. It was rainy when we went and glad to have a full day of sunshine! I can say that the beach is clean (UNLIKE some some places in Malaysia-- Lankawi, Kota Kinabalu where loads of garbages is washed up to the beach.) The rooms- 2 BR and a living in between are huge, but poorly design and decorated. One of the bathroom has no light- -pitch dark. Thank goodness there are 2 other bathrooms to use. Staff like most parts of Cambodia are charming and helpful, BUT need to be trained better in service. If coming to clean the room and the light is out, wouldn't the chamber maid notify the maintenance that the bathroom light is out? Also, the decors of the room needs some professional help! (See pictures).

The gym has some decent exercise equipments. I believe local well-to-dos also use the facility. Though the room is not sectioned off, so that if you want just to do some stretching or practice yoga on own, you have to listen to the blasting TV.

Took advantage of the fairly inexpensive spa services. Again staff are great, but need better training. The quality of service is not comparable to that received from hotels in Siem Reap. I got a scrub, massage and facial package. Did not get much scrub from the scrub component.

Given that is off from town central, we ate mostly at the Lemon Grass/ The Deck restaurant. Not sure why there are 2 names, but the restaurant(s) is beautifully decorated with excellent view. And the food is very good. As a Khmer I know it's not fully home style, but do there best to capture the flavors. The menu has many options if you are not into Khmer food. Price is higher, but not outrageous. Quality of good is very good.

The breakfast buffet was OK-- again not like Siem Reap quality options. Wish they put out more local fruits. Staff needs service training. If being called to ask for more coffee and seeing the empty plates, they should know to remove them. Another example, I went ahead to have an early coffee, my husband went afterward. While I went to the toilet, my husband arrived and asked "where is my wife sitting?" The attendant was able to point to him to the right table, but then she asked what room he is staying at? Not a major issue, but they are trained very linear way; when a slight curve is thrown at them, they can't seem to figure out.

All in all-- NOT a 5 Star place, but a good value. Certainly has potential if road improves, management/owner get their act together make this place shine. Was considering SongSaa-- the super $$$$ all inclusive resort. But given the drive and seeing the town, not worth the trip to pay such $$$$.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the sea, rooms facing the entrance (parking and the casino entrance is pitiful)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Sofiteme,

While I am proud to read your comments on our charming and helping staffs while they need to have better training, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction on our dark bathroom as there was no light, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that we were encountered during your stay.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Happy with this resort, has all of the features you expect from SEAsian resorts. Tuk-tuk ride away from Serendipity Beach. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank StacyKKK
Dear StacyKKK,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience during your recent stay at the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville.

I am proud to read your excellent comments on our friendly staffs and specious clean rooms, and will gladly share this with them and their department managers.

I once again appreciate your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville.

Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here in August. Since it is low season we got a good price, and we could stay the whole family (inkluding three children) in one room. The room was quit spacious and the bathroom had both shower and bathtube. There was both fruit and water in the room for free.

This is a really big hotel, and we didn't have time to see it all (we were just there for a weekend).

+ Lovely, clean beach. We swum for overs!
+ Wonderful staff. So helpful
+ Great breakfast

- No shadow in the pool area at all. Escecially the baby pool needs that
- Everything is much more expensive than what you are used to here in Cambodia

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Enemalm
S0khaH, Executive Assistant at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Ms. Enemalm,

While I am proud to read your comments on our lovely and clean beach, wonderful staff and great breakfast experience, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction with our pool experience, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that we were encountered during your stay.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Beautiful location, private beach so no hassle from beach vendors, very comfortable bed in a large and clean room, beautiful bars, but not the five star experience expected. Could be heaven, maybe next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank turnoffthelight
Dear Turnoffthelight,

While I am proud to read your comments on our beautiful location, comfortable large bed, and clean room , I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that we were encountered during your stay.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice in the past. Both previous stays were good and I returned based on my previous experiences. We returned to the resort for a two night stay starting Aug 31. The room we received was large and clean with a very comfortable bed. However, the room was looking old and there were paint drips all over the headboard. The terrace balcony had a really bad mold (?) growing all over the lower areas along with a paint job which was two years overdue for a touch up. The resort is a beach resort with a large pool but the pool itself was literally disgusting. The water was a dirty, green color (not see through- more like muddy water) and the attendant at the pool told us it was do to leaves falling in the pool. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of lesser hotels in Cambodia that can provide a clean pool and this is the least that a high end beach resort should provide. My wife and I had a drink at the new beachfront restaurant and this was a lovely experience- great view, great staff and a good looking menu. For our big dinner we had 8 p.m. reservations at the signature seafood bar-b-que (advertised as including lobster, fish, prawns, and clams). We arrived 15 minutes early and found that there was basically no food left except for a few shrimp which could be eaten grilled or fried. I complained to the staff and fifteen minutes later another box of frozen shrimp was put out along with a plateful of frozen sushi cut salmon. I was pretty mad that at the most expensive fine dining experience in Sihanoukville, a fresh seafood haven, the seafood buffet consisted of frozen shrimp and some frozen salmon strips. The staff informed me that the were winding the buffet down (it was now 8:30 p.m. and the place was crowded) and that they had more people come to dinner than they had expected thus there wasn't a full buffet. Breakfast was likewise not a good experience. The breakfast ran from 6-10 a.m. and the wife and I ate at 7 a.m. At this time the food was not out and there was never water put out during our entire meal. We requested water from the staff and they graciously brought us 1 cup of water to share. The food itself was a big step down from our previous stays. To conclude, our stay was a big disappointment and we do not expect to return to this resort. There are now a number of other nice resorts in the area and the Sokha is simply not worth either the money or the waste of a weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hspfour
'Dear Mr. Hspfour,

After reading your comments, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction on the moldy terrace balcony, unclean pool, and poor breakfast experience and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that were encountered during your stay.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.