“Very Good Hotel”
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I stayed at Sokha last november with 2 friends.

I read in another review that the reservation service was awful: it wasn't for us! We changed our reservation lots of time because we made a travel around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and the hotel changed our reservation without problem everytime!

The room was very clean, new and large enough for 3 persons. The bathroom had shower and bathtube and every room had a balcony.

There are 3 or 4 restaurants: we tried only the buffet one because we went in Serendipity Beach that is close with tuktuk.
The buffet was very big and everything delicious: I'm Italian and I like to eat well...the food it was!! And the price wasn't too expensive.
The breakfast is gorgeous...there is a varied selection of different dishes.

The hotel has a beautiful swimming pool and it is very clean.

The beach is the best one of the town and it has comfortable beach-beds. The sand is perfectly clean: there are attendants who clean the beach lots of time during the day.
All along the beach there are bars and two places where you can take massages...

All the staff was amazing and speak a good english. In the hotel work a huge quantity of persons and they try to answer to every request!

The only thing that I have to complain is:
we decided to go to the Riem National park with a tour organized by the hotel, everything went well except for the lunch, only a poor sandwich..we paied 80 dollars and it's lot of money for Cambodia!!

The last thing...I would like to go there again !!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank Solosamp

Reviewed November 14, 2007

We opted to stay at the Sokha Beach Resort for the second part of our trip to Cambodia having spent one week in Phnom Penh. The hotel was gorgeous, rooms very clean and air conditioned which thankfully you could leave on all day whilst you weren't there! Many restuarants within the complex however rather pricey in comparison to outside the resort (which is to be expected). For non fishlovers like myself and my partner we found the menu in the Lotus Resturant very poor, however the club sandwich and fries was excellent. If you are a fish lover then the buffet each night looks great! The live entertainment was really nice to watch and dance along too if you felt the urge. The spa was also excellent and pretty reasonable too. As others have said the pool and beach was absolutely beautiful and make our relaxing week very relaxing as there were plenty of sunbeds, not alot of noise and very attentive staff. My only real problem was with room service, they found it very hard to understand english even though this was the main language spoken after cambodian. Twice the phone was put down as they didn't understand an order of toast and jam and a pot of tea. This was quickly resolved when taken up with the reception area of course. For the true taste of cambodian lifestyle it is worth a visit around the rocks to the other beach (I can't remember the name of it but it starts with O) You can sit on wicker chairs with the sea lapping at your feet and have a pleasant meal and a drink all night if you wish and so cheap! It is hussle and bussell and if you have had enough of the beggars and children selling their braclets then the bar attendants will keep them away from you .... probably our best evenings were spend sitting under the stars with a glass or two!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EmmaRomy
Reviewed August 21, 2007

The reservation supervisor was rude. She shouted to me and told lie to me. That was really a horrible experience:

Their computer system posted wrong price into their website, and I confirmed a room and received a confirmation from them. But then that Ms. Phary kept telling me that was their supplier NOT the hotel. So the agreement CANNOT be counted!! She forced me to accept the new terms and reject to transfer the telephone line to the manager.

That kind of service ruined my holiday by their rude and shouting.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank inkink
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Sorry if it has taken a long time to write this review but I feel I must. We stayed at this lovely resort over Christmas and New Year. It is situated on the best beach we have seen which is cleaned everyday and all day long by nice ladies. The rooms are confortable and clean. The food is very good but a little expensive for Cambodia.
The staff are very attentive and the manager Pierre looked after me so well when I was knocked down by a motorbike on New Year's eve. He came to the hospital and sent a car to pick me up and made sure I was confortable thereafter. Could not praise enough this lovely hotel and the friendly people of Cambodia.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Marie-Claude A
Reviewed May 10, 2007

This hotel has extensive facilities, a lovely beach, spacious and very comfortable rooms and a great pool for US$98 a night, including breakfast.

Staff were very professional. There was a mix up with our booking which was not the hotels fault but they upgraded us anyway.

The place doesn't have much atmosphere, but neither does the rest of Sihanoukville. The food was fine but not special, apart from a lovely meal we had in their restaurant overlooking the beach.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank JoB1Kenobi
Reviewed April 25, 2007

great room, pool, own perfect private beach with wonderful sunsets. Just round corner is hippy beach - take moto and get seafood bbq for $2 and lie sipping cocktails on sunlonger on beach with fire eaters etc

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank seasone_traveller
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We chose to stay at the Sokha Beach resort after spending a week touring the "must see" sights of Cambodia. Our tour operator (Kuoni) did not have this hotel on their list when we booked the Cambodia tour, but i had seen the website of the Sokha Beach and it appealed to us to stay our whole holiday in Cambodia and not rush away to Thailand etc, as seems to be the norm with most tourists. Kuoni happily arranged the hotel and relevant transfers (with personal guide and driver) and although we were slightly apprehensive on the standard and service we could expext, we need not have worried.
The hotel could not have been more welcoming. I am sorry to say that i got a bit anal about the first room allocated to us - it was on the ground floor, with a lovely view of the garden and pool. i just dont like the ground floor and prefer to be higher - to cut a long story short, we ended up with one of the managers walking around all the available rooms he had and i could choose which room I prefered. this was all done with a smile and not a hint of "eyebrow raising" and ultimately we even received some flowers and a fruitbowl. the room was cleaned promptly every morning and we received clean towels and complimentary water twice daily.
The hotel overall was kept in pristine condition, whether that was the lovely gardens or restaurants. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and yes, there was occasionally a small language problem - but no worse than we have experienced in other parts of the world. Although we did of course see plenty of the typical "I am a tourist and therfore I can shout louder and be obnoxious and demand a service and attention I wouldn't dream off in my own country" attitude. (or indeed could afford them there) Ah well, you get them everywhere!
Overall, we can only recommend ths hotel. it is of a standard we did not expect to receive in Cambodia and we certainly have not stayed in a resort where there are girls "sweeping" the beach all day long to keep it looking pristine. We thoroughly enjoyed the tranquility of the beach, the excellent food and Spa facilities. we would not hesitate to return to this resort at any time.

Stayed: March 2007