Liberty Ranch - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Best way to spend the afternoon

Reviewed March 29, 2019
Joski_11
Melbourne, Australia
via mobile
3x A ... Absolutely amazing afternoon

Reviewed March 17, 2019
ronnietraveler2

All reviews hour ride experienced riders horse ride riding experience healthy horses suitable horse beach swim amazing experience cambodian countryside cambodian guide amazing afternoon absolute highlight bucket list two hours private tour otres beach tuk tuk
Selected filters
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

This is actually the first time writing a review in my life but I felt it necessary to relay my experience to others of my two hour ride I had booked with liberty ranch. I am experienced rider who rode quite a lot when I was younger and have done many intense trail rides throughout Europe and the Middle East.

I have to say this ride left me extremely disappointed and angry. It began well, nice owner who was accommodating and friendly staff. However, after that it began to go down hill. The reins I was given where oddly sticky and made it difficult for me adjust the length in my hand, but this isn’t such a big deal.

The issue began when we arrived at the beach and where greeted by packs of barking dogs that almost the entire time charged at the horses, circling me and my guide and occasionally snapping at the horses heels. This became a issue when I would go into canter, as shortly after the horse would start bucking in response to the dogs, I was almost thrown off three times. I had read previous reviews where this was communicated to be a apparent issue and before going into canter i told the guide this wasn’t acceptable and was dangerous but he didn’t speak enough English to understand. So after having to stop my canter three times after almost being bucked off three times, I finally got fed up jumped off my horse and chased the dogs of myself and left us alone after that. Why couldn’t the guide have done this, why did I have to do this? The guide should have been trained to do such or at least the ranch owner should arrange to have the dogs tied up during the period of the ride. This is very dangerous! Someone less experienced and athletic than me would be thrown off and injured, I only stayed on because of my experience and athleticism.

Additional issues:

Even after we left the dogs behind and went to a field to canter the horse would give a small buck at some point and I had to stop in fear it would get worse.

My horse was constantly trying to bite my guides horse, forcing me to frequently try and steer my horse away from my guides horse during canter or trot in fear my horse or I would be kicked.

Horse was constantly trying to eat grass on the ground, causing me to almost get pulled off several times and taking the skin off my fingers. This isn’t uncommon for horses to do but I have never experienced a horse that did it as much as this horse.

In general the horse wasn’t the best trained or responsive.

Additionally, guide spoke little English and was unable to communicate with me properly during ride, so was unable to understand the issues I was experiencing fully.

End of story:

When I returned and expressed my discontent the owner seemed shocked and concerned and informed me the horse was for beginners and never had done this before. Also exclaiming multiple times the ranch was closing down which I suspect was a diversion so I wouldn’t ask for my money back, she even said she didn’t have my money on her any longer to return...not that I was expecting i would be able to get my 55$ back but made it apparent this wasn’t the first time.

The owner seems like a very nice women but is clearly in over her head and doesn’t know what she is doing. My horse, at least wasn’t well trained and spooked easily but guides horse seemed much better trained. So why wasn’t I given his horse?

What I experienced was dangerous and not acceptable. I have ridden dozens of horses and have never felt so uncomfortable and fearful for my safety. The issues I experienced are easily fixable with EFFORT, so if she isn’t actually closing down I hope she fixes them.

I wrote this review as a warning to others because someone less experienced than me will get hurt.

Date of experience: April 2019
libertyranchsihanouk, owner at Liberty Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2019

Thanks for you review.
Sorry to hear your ride was a dissapointment.

A horse you had is also for beginners and customers like him. Must have been this time your horse got annoyed of those dogs. Unfortunately I can´t tide them up, not our dogs (our dogs don´t follow riders). As you`ve seen dogs are free here in Cambodia, locals don´t tide them up.
But what I can do, I decided we don`t go to that beach anymore. We have two other beaches closer to the ranch.

About reins. They are quite new good quality reins but must be then not the reins you are used to and like.
And yes, your horse likes to eat grass a lot but if a rider shows him "you`re not allowed to eat" he doesn´t keep on trying to do it.

A guide does speak some English, I arranged an English teacher for my staff for 5 evenings per a week for half an year (and a guide did speak some English also before that). I don´t know why this time he wasn´t able to understand what you tryed to say to him.

The reason he didn´t change horses with you is that every horse have their own weight limit they can carry and the guide horse was able to carry only 50 kilos. Khmer, like your guide, are usually very small. Your weight is naturally a lot more being a western man.

The truth is I didn´t have change money with me at the ranch. As you`ll remember, you payed to my stable manager, I arrived later, and he had gone out with other customers having ranch money with him, including money he got from you.

Also the truth unfortunately is that it looks like we have to close down in few months, Chinise have taken over Sihanoukville.

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

Swimming with the horses was an amazing experience. Bare back on a horse in the ocean was not something you get to do every day so has to be one of my highlights of my trip to Cambodia.
The ranch is lovely, the walk through the forest is peaceful and lovey and the staff friendly.
Tiina was very responsive via email. One for the to do list of you are close by.

Date of experience: March 2019
Tiina H, owner at Liberty Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2019

Thank you so much for your review and happy to hear visiting us was one of your highlights in Cambodia!

Reviewed March 17, 2019

I booked my trip day before and next day was so long for waiting to afternoon. When I came to the Ranch, Tina, the owner checked my weight if is it good for horse and we taken a short nice talk. later I had prepared horse and guid also. We were one and half hour around sea, on the beach and also we were swim with horses in the sea and it was simply fabulous experience, I love it. I alived canter in sand and guid makes for me picture for memory. Thanks a lot for amazing afternoon Tina thanks for your crew and happy horses :)

Date of experience: March 2019
Tiina H, owner at Liberty Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2019

Thank you visiting us, happy to hear you had an amazing afternoon!

Reviewed February 16, 2019 via mobile

Wonderful experience with the horses in this ranch located at 20 minutes from Otres beach. I've done two hours for tour including both forest and beach. I also swam with the horse and is one of the thing most beautiful that I've ever done. I'm an advanced but all people can do this tour!

Date of experience: February 2019
Tiina H, owner at Liberty Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2019

Thank You so much for your review and happy to hear you had one of the best experiences ever having a ride and swim with us at the Liberty Ranch!

Reviewed January 12, 2019

Tiina, the owner, and her crew take excellent care of their horses, and the area in which the horses are kept is well-maintained. Be accurate in relating the weight of each of your riders as the horses were a smaller breed and you won’t be able to ride if you weigh in over their limits. My granddaughters enjoyed the ride and I enjoyed hearing Tiina’s story of her life here in Cambodia.

Date of experience: December 2018
Tiina H, Owner at Liberty Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2019

Thanks for your review. It was lovely having you visiting us!
All the best for you in 2019.