All reviews outdoor shower otres beach sandy road bar restaurant laid back tuk tuk expensive hotel rainy season nearby islands other places other resorts sihanoukville area sun loungers hotel guests cambodian standards phnom penh nice bungalows
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Otres beach is still paradise and this hotel makes the most of it. The bar is right on the beach and has chairs that you can sit in all day. The rooms are fine but nothing to write home about. The real surprise is the food which is extraordinary. Dinner at the beach watching the sunset was as good as it gets.

For two days of reading and relaxation it was perfect

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Didn't stay their but used the restaurant and beach loungers. Best English breakfast on the beach, and we had a really good evening meal , pork belly which was up to the standard of a very good london resturant, good service on the beach

Date of stay: March 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Secret Garden sits on a beautiful stretch of white sand at Otres beach. (Get there by taking a tuktuk for about $6 from Sihanoukville.) You can walk straight from the restaurant onto the beach.
It is an idyllic spot for a few days' break. There is a swimming pool for a refreshing dip after being on the beach all day. The restaurant has both Asian and Western food – we just stayed with the Asian food and it was good. The staff are friendly. Service is fine considering you are on holiday.

We were told on check-in that noise started on the building site next door at 7am, but we didn't find it too much of a problem.

There are a few things they could do better though for the price we paid (US$ 90 per night). The bathroom towels are thin, for example. The beach towels are just ordinary little towels – too small. But although the first impression of the room wasn't good, after 2 days here we were relaxed. I would come back again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
dora m, Owner at The Secret Garden at Otres Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Thanks for your review!

Just to let you know, we've taken your advice on board and have gotten in the biggest, fluffiest towels money can buy. I hope you can come back soon to enjoy them!

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

This was the worst place I stayed on my trip of Cambodia. And the most expense! This place is a sham!

I arrived and discovered that there is construction going on next door. The noise then continues on during the night with people living there at night.

I was allocated a bungalow that was in front of the staff area and interconnecting, that has no soundproofing!

I could hear everything next door including them sitting on the toilet farting!

When I arrived sheets where dirty, bathroom was dirty and air con didn't work. Room was dusty. Water coming out of the tap brown.

After getting no sleep I decided to leave the next morning. I was told no problem and was asked if I was leaving because of the construction noise.

At the time of check out I was told I would be charged a cancellation fee which had never been mentioned. When I explained the reasons for leaving I was told bad luck. To contact booking.com

Management are rude and just out to make a buck. AVOID this hotel, you can do much better and avoid the stress.

I changed hotels and found an amazing hotel at half the price!

So disappointing

Date of stay: February 2014
6  Thank TravelAgent2012

We are very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as our other guests do.

We always do our utmost to ensure our accommodation is of the highest possible standard, and I'm sorry that your room did not live up to your expectations on the particular day of your stay. Therefore, as soon as we received your complaint, sheets were changed, sink was cleaned and the A/C unit was serviced.

We do advertise clearly on-line that the room you stayed in is semi-detached, and our cancellation policy is stated on all of the booking sites we use.

Again, I'm sorry that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations, and I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Cambodia.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We ate breakfast here and although the food was good, the service by the manager was poor. I ordered a toastie to which I then added the potato wedges for $1.25 as advertised in the menu. My toastie had tomato instead of onion- I didn't mention this as I wasn't too bothered. When the bill came, the manager snapped saying that he had given me a full portion of wedges and tried to charge me $3.75. I explained that he had got the order wrong but he was insistent that I would have to pay for his mistake as I ate the bowl of wedges. The rest of the staff were lovely, but he was just rude and needs to learn his menu!

Date of stay: February 2014