“The perfect place to relax”

and 1 more site!
The Secret Garden at Otres Beach
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Kampong Cham, Cambodia
“The perfect place to relax”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Secret Garden is a perfect place to chill out, nice and clean beach, great (veggie) food, cold beers and tasty cocktails. The owners do everything to make your stay perfect!
The bungalows are spacious, spot clean and the ac keeps it cool when it is too hot outside

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MenW13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Would of got all five marks had not been for the building work next door. but thats not the hotels fault.

We loved it here, yes its expensive for this part of Cambodia but it also has a pool and AC and you can't find these things anywhere else on Otres 2 beach.

The owner Ken was fantastic nothing was to to much trouble the staff where also great the Khmer and the expats all made a wonderfull stay at the Secret garden.

I try not to stay at the same place twice, but if i ever travel this way again I'd stay at the Secret Garden.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

long way from the city, but if you want to have a relax and quality time with family or friends... it's a good place to go.

Loved the pool, so we can swim in the beach then go to the pool for a while.
Food, cocktail are the best among the rest of the hotel nearby.

Lovely & friendly staff and owner. They are so helpful...

one thing need to be improved, AC is not so cold.. though they provide Fan to help...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
dora m, Owner at The Secret Garden at Otres Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us!
Sorry your AC wasn't quite up to par. We've just had all of our ACs serviced, so they're now icy cold.
Do come back and visit us again.
Regards,
Dora
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

WOW!

That would sum it up but I need to give more details - there, at first glance, seems to be one major drawback with Secret Garden; it's about 5/6 km outside of Sihanoukville itself, along some godawful roads (especially if you are on a scooter at night). BUT...it's this very seclusion that makes Secret Garden so special. The bar/restaurant is set on a most gorgeous bit of beach that gives views of amazing sunsets (see pics below). The bungalows themselves are spacious, well equipped and very well looked after. And no TV!!!! Fantastic!

Ken and Dora and the other owners/management team have done a fantastic job. They themselves are all wonderfully friendly and helpful, and they have put together a top notch team of local staff. In fact, I would say this is the best team of staff of any hotel I have yet stayed at, and cannot see them being beaten. The owners also take an ethical approach and keep kids local kids from trying to sell bangles etc to the tourists (don't do this as it encourages the kids not to attend school) They have also 'vetted' the beach massage women and I had 2 great massages in the last few days.

Now what have I missed? Ah yes...the food. Usually a place this size produces pretty average food, but as many of the visitors choose to come here for total relaxation and can spend the whole day by the beach and bar, they have also assembled a great kitchen team. Not a single close to average dish all week - the 'worst' was the quesadilla which I would only give 7/10!!
And, with that personal touch, the great Khmer staff got to know I like my dishes spicy, so everything (from the amazing Chilli to the simply orgasmic Fish Amok) came with added chillies every time.

I can honestly say I have never regretted a holiday coming to an end so much before!! And I hope, with it being so far down Otres 2, that it is many, many years before this stretch sees too much development.

I'll finish the way I started; WOW!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the (not that noisy) building site next door.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank IainDonnelly
Auroville, India
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Secret Garden is quite far removed from the city. However, it was definitely worth it. I became aware of the fresh and unpolluted air as soon as I entered the resort. It is tiny an has a bar and restarant on the beach. The ambience is friendly and lively. The management and staff were extremely helpful and polite.
I liked the breakfast which was of a good standard. The food I ordered was really well made and nice.
The room and toilet are tiny but cosy and inviting. The AC works which is a wonder for this distant location.
The swimming pool is beautiful.
The view from the beach is fabulous and the changing colors of the sky is a delight to watch.
The WIFI was a total surprise and was one of the best that I had every experienced in any hotel in Cambodia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jan Juc, Vic
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week with our 7 year old son and loved every minute of our stay. The location truly is a little spot of paradise and we were so glad that we chose this quiet end of Otres Beach. We found our bungalow to be very comfortable and loved our jungle shower. The prices are probably slightly high for Cambodian standards, but we would go back again. The hosts and staff were very helpful and friendly. We felt quite at home here and found it hard to leave. Do get here before this end of the beach becomes more established and busier.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmcnallyJanJuc
Lancashire
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night before and 3 nights after a trip to Lazy Beach. When we arrived we were really early, but the staff greeted us and did everything they could to get our rooms ready. It is right down the other end of the beach away from everything, but that just makes it feel even more remote; in a good way!

When we checked in the rooms were nice enough, not the nicest rooms we have stayed in for the money but they are ok. The first night we were there we were right next to the construction work and it is loud early in the morning. The swimming pool is nice, however could be doing with some comfier sun loungers. Whilst we were there were some chemicals thrown in to the pool that sat on the bottom of the pool and I was a bit worried about swimming in it. I asked the manageress if it was safe to swim but I got the impression she didn't really care. We swam in it anyway and it was fine.

The beach area is beautiful, just stunning and we saw some fantastic sunsets. All of the staff are lovely including the Manager Ken... This is a really un-spoilt end of the beach and you do get the feeling that it isn't going to stay that way for long. The food is great too, the Texan Burger was fab...My Husband and our friends were lovin' the Chocolate Shakes.

I think the rooms are slightly over priced; however you won't find anywhere else like this on Otres, it just doesn't exist so worth the money. There are a few guest houses so you can play pool, have something to eat and a few beers, but Otres 1 is about a 45 minute walk away or 5 mins or so in a Tuk Tuk. Otres 1 doesn't necessarily offer anything better than Otres 2 just more choice should you want it.

We had a really nice time here, my only complaint was that we didn't stay long enough.

Room Tip: They are all the same, but the bungalows in the middle will get less noise from the building work.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends