“A great dining experience and for a great cause”

The Starfish Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #8 of 374 Restaurants in Sihanoukville
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Starfish is a cafe, bakery and fair trade craft shop run by locals with disabilities. As well as being an oasis where you can relax in the garden and have a coffee and a bite to eat, Starfish is also the oldest non-profit NGO in Sihanoukville. All the profits from the bakery/cafe/shop go to supporting local Khmer people in rural areas by providing housing, sanitation, medical and educational programs.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We tried to support every NGO we could while we traveled around Cambodia and there are many. There are a number of NGOs that run restaurants or cafes as a part of their programs of empowering or helping disabled people in Cambodia and Starfish is one of those establishments. The food and baked goods were fresh and delicious. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and able to inform us more about the history and mission of Starfish. The restaurant itself is a magnificent building with a huge garden and fountains that makes you feel like you're far away from the hustle and bustle of Sihanoukville. Be sure to try one of their massive cookies for desert!

1  Thank ReyShaunMadolora

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Starfish Bakery is an absolute must for anyone visiting Sihanoukville!

A peaceful court yard with a fantastic calm atmosphere. Good food and drink, cool seating inside or out, really friendly service, a great shop, massage (which we didn't try) and you know every dollar you leave there is going to support the twenty or so families that are involved from the local community.

A welcoming oasis if you fancy a break from backpacker beaches or the hectic city.

DIRECTIONS:
Turn RIGHT off EKAREACH STREET onto 7 MAKARA STREET,
20 METERS on the RIGHT is the SAMUDERA SUPER MARKET,
Stand facing the SAMUDERA SUPER MARKET and to the RIGHT is a small ally,
50 METERS down the ally on the LEFT is the Starfish Bakery,
ENJOY.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Sometimes I find that cafes and the like which are run by NGOs make you 'warm and fuzzy' about supporting them, but that's about all you get. The Starfish Bakery is a delightful oasis in a backstreet running adjacent to Ekareach St (be careful to get the right lane...there's a viscous dog in the next one!). When you enter the premises it's like stepping back in time to a British Colonial Club somewhere in India. I loved it immediately for that reason. But then I was greeted by the staff and I loved it more. When I was served the most deliciously light homemade yogurt and fresh fruit they had me hook, line and sinker.
I went back there everyday I was in Sihanoukville. It was a half hour (leisurely pace) walk from the Golden Lions, or only a couple of minutes with wheels underneath.
The cinnamon rolls are de-licous!

2  Thank misslinda-t
Reviewed September 29, 2012

A few friends and I visited Sihanoukville this month and found this wonderful little place which we went back to 2 days running it appealed to us so much. We all enjoyed buying a few gorgeous and well made gifts in the shop - all items are made by locals who are disabled in some way - and retrained - the sewing of the bags in particular was excellent quality.
The Bakery and Cafe was a great find, the smoothies and food so yum! And the staff very friendly and attentive. We also had a couple of massages - my reflexology foot massage by a beautiful blind woman was the best I have ever had..in spite of the pain!
I highly recommend this little gem of a place, and would go back in a heartbeat if I trip to S'Ville again.

1  Thank barbieCoffsHarbour
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Starfish bakery what a hidden paradise!! The staff and service awesome. The food delicious, the gift shop has an amazing array of gifts to spend money on and worth every $. You must spend time having a massage it was really great a must visit when in Sihanoukville.

2  Thank lyndar33