“Papa Pippo himself...an absolute gentleman!”

Papa Pippo Bar, Restaurant & Bungalows
Reviewed October 18, 2012

His efficient and happy helpful Khmer daughter, who works reception, bar and restaurant, is a joy as well taking care of our every need for a week or so also...wonderful Italian food and a well stocked bar! How could you NOT like Italian food? Or a Liqueur Galliano after supper? The beach, the sea and the sun lounges will easily draw you from the simple cottage accommodations from dawn till dusk and beyond...at the far end of Ortes Beach 1, and with a little fine tuning in respect to the rooms, we expect this place to only get better! Mille Grazie Papa...and his extended family!

Room Tip: Closest to the beach...Room 6 or 7...the beach cottage walls are a tad thin; you will definitely get...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Papa Pippo Bar, Restaurant & Bungalows

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Basic fan rooms on the beach. Relaxed staff and good food. The place to go if you want to chill out, and are ok with less than luxury accommodation.

We enjoyed our stay.

Book ahead, we got lucky, but saw many others missing out on a room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I went to otres beach looking for a quiet bungalow on the beach and a relaxing common area to hang out in and initially was very happy to find Papa Pippo. I was in their budget bungalow with shares bathroom for $10/night and foundit charming that it was built around a tree... Until it started to rain one night and I woke up being rained on and all of my things soaked. I dealt with it the best I could until morning at which point I went to one of the owners and told him about the problem. He said it was a new bungalow and I was the first person to stay in it and it rain so they werent previously aware of the issue, which I understood. I asked for clothes pins to dry out my things in the sun and asked him to either fix the holes in the roof or move me to a different bungalow. I was a bit surprised that he didn't offer to discount (or comp) the previous nights stay for spending it being rained on or even comp my breakfast. That afternoon it started to rain again so I asked if he had gotten to fix the bungalow yet, he said it couldn't be fixed so I said that's fine I don't mind moving to another bungalow. He said the other budget bungalows were full so I would have to pay more to move to the more expensive bungalows. This I felt was very unprofessional and after that I felt very unwelcome in Papa Pippo so I left the next day. On a more positive note, the coffee and pasta dishes were fantastic. If you do decide to stay there make sure to avoid the bungalow around a tree because even if it's not raining the mattress must be very moldy from being rained on so many times.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Otres Beach is not a location for resorts or even hotels, the majority of accommodation is basic bungalows and huts on the beach, with a single dirt road that sees more cows then motorbikes/tuk-tuk’s. We chose this place because the rooms seemed a lot more secure, with glass doors and very few gaps between the roof and the walls and you can see the ocean from your room. The first night we were there we had large spiders and beetles in the room, that’s okay – this is a remote beach in Cambodia, it’s going to happen! There is no hot water or air-con, so don’t expect it and the floors are all concrete so that they can be easily cleaned… sand gets everywhere!! The smell from the bathroom especially the toilet became worse as we stayed there and we had to leave the door open for part of the day or it would just become unbearable, and also the room feels damp most of the time – but this is mainly because of the location, you can’t expect things to be the same as the cities at a place like Otres Beach. Overall Papa Pippo is a relaxed, chilled out place to stay with good sun-loungers and the beach at your doorstep, it is the last place on the beach so a lot less busy than the rest of Otres Beach. The food was a little bit expensive for our budget but from what we sampled and saw it tasted/looked really good. The owners let you do what you want and look like they really enjoy running this place, the added bonus of their 3 dogs hanging around the beach is good fun as well, especially the puppy!!

The only minor issue we had was that when we checked in one of the staff told us that the music is turned off at 9:30pm as the restaurant closes at 9pm, both nights we were there the music was going till 11:30pm when I’m guessing the generator was turned off, not a major issue but would have appreciated the truth as we would have stayed there anyway, but it may be a bigger issue for others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I checked out just about every guesthouse on Otres beach, and Papa Pippo beat them all, hands down. It was clean and neat, with everything in good repair - which was a far cray from the state of the majority of other places. The handful that were in good repair (Mushroom and Don't Tell Mama) were more expensive and were not on the beach.
The room was very nice - little touches like a bookshelf, embroidered bed cover, bedside tables, etc, were all nice touches, and the fact that they had sliding glass doors opening out to the beach was perfect - this is what I had been lamenting was missing from almost every other budget bungalow; the ability to actually enjoy the setting from within the room.
The hammocks and papasan chairs strewn throughout the grounds made it a great place to hangout and relax, and the Italian owners were very friendly and accommodating and made some good pastas in the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I can't say a bad word about this place. It's awesome if you want to experience Cambodia with a touch of Italian class. Me and my girlfriend spent 3 weeks in cambodia staying in diffrent places and papa pippo was deffintley the best place we stayed.This place is just so chilled out and definitely makes good for a relaxing time in the sun next to one of the most beautiful beaches in a super friendly environment. The owners are so helpful and couldn't do enough for us. They gave us great local knowledge which meant we didn't miss out on anything and got to see much more while we were out an about. The bungalows we stayed in we're right on the beach facing the sea and we couldn't be happier with it. Great views of the opposite islands which was a real bonus. The rooms were very clean and comfy and very pleasant to stay in. The bathroom was basic but had everything you needed and was kept very clean and done the job perfectly. The food here is to die for its all freshly made and made to perfection. It's all Italian dishes which suited me perfrect so I used there restaurant everyday. But they will be more than happy to recommend other places to eat if you wanted something different. The bar they have is a great social point day and night and I meet some great people and had a good laugh with the owners, the locals and the other guests. I highly recommend staying here and I'm looking forward to comming back and spending a whole lot longer here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Papa Pippo has arguably the best Italian kitchen in Sihanoukville. The raviolli is amazing, I've ordered it 3 times now, and will probably order it again.

Room Tip: All the room are good!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo