“Amazing beach, so friendly and helpfull staff, clean and simple bungalows.”
Review of Otres Beach Resort

Otres Beach Resort
Ranked #89 of 233 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
“Amazing beach, so friendly and helpfull staff, clean and simple bungalows.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We had such a nice and relaxing time here. A pity we couldn't stay longer.

The staff and the owner did a great job, making us feel comfortable. We were always approached with a smile and kindness.

The restaurant feels private and cozy, with delicious food and COLD COLD beers. To be honest we couldn't find better food in the area.

If we have to highlight a minor issue, it would have been nice to been supplied more frequently with toiletpaper, and emptying of the toiletpaper-bin. But that's all..

The owner and the staff wished us goodbye on our last night. We had to leave early in the morning, before the kitchen opened up. We asked if they could make us some sandwiches in advance, to be kept in the fridge overnight. BUT the cook insisted to get up early (6.00 AM) to make us some fresh sandwiches instead.

We highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Michael C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2013

+ The location: LOVE it. It’s on the farther end of otres beach and across the road from the beach. Out of otres, serendipity, and sokha beach, considering value and beach, I would say the otres beach location is the best.

+ The bungalows: Basic, cute, cozy. The bathrooms have western toilets and a stand up shower. Bungalows are not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

+ The staff: The owner and his fiancée are very friendly; had a few conversations with them. Everyone is so laid back.

+ The food: A hit or miss. Every morning we always got the “small big breakfast.” It came with eggs, bacon, toast, and this potato cake/hashbrown thing which is soo good. I would come back just to eat that.

- The noise: I had no issues with noise until the last night. This huge family stayed at the bungalows and were so loud. There was loud talking, music.. everything. I can understand you are on vacation, but not when the partying is from 9pm until 4am and then again at 6am. I could not sleep all night.

- The power: Power went out several times which is understandable since other areas had this problem too. Most of the time it was only for a few minutes but one time it lasted for almost 5 hours.

- The bungalows: There are lots of bugs that can come in through the bathroom since the tiny windows do not have screens (ants, mosquitoes, cockroaches…)

- The food: Depends on the dish. One night we ordered the fried calamari and the chicken wings. When both dishes came out, I had to ask which was which. The fried calamari seemed like it was made from already dried squid that was then heavily dipped in flower/batter and fried. The pieces were tiny and had that dry pre-salted taste. Now the chicken wings. When I think of chicken wings, I think of chicken wings and not a plate full of TINY chicken strips that were smaller than my pinky. I was so disappointed with both dishes. Again the “chicken wings” had barely any chicken and just tons of batter. That was the one night I did not bring my camera so no pictures to share.

All in all, I do recommend Strawberry Bungalows. It was a memorable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy N
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

lovely couple, lovely driver, quiet a bit too quiet as i was on my own. food mostly good. no toilet paper in room and i didnt ask. but very very cheap and all you need. i would recommend it to a couple or a group of friends looking for a getaway from the action.
thankyou for having me

• Stayed July 2013
Strawberry-Cambodia, Owner at Otres Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Just a quick message for those who can not find Strawberry Resort on the web. This is because it doesn't exist. No matter how many times I have told Tripadvisor to rename to Strawberry Bungalows, Restaurant & Bar they refuse.
Sorry for the confusion they are causing.
regards Michael.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Located on Otres 2, strawberry resort is just a few steps away from the beach. This side of Otres beach is quiet, with not much going on here so it's perfect if you want to get away for a bit. The bungalows are very basic but clean, and the fan does its job in keeping you cool! There's also a good bar and restaurant upstairs. It rained a bit when we were there and I can imagine it may not be comfortable in heavy rain.

It's also quite far away if you're planning on going somewhere else, and the roads are a bit scary to drive on at night time but other than that I'd recommend this place if you want some peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Traveling
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Nice place with good cheap rooms in a nice location, cute gardens and well tended sand paths.

The service is relaxed to put it nicely. You have to request everything, toilet paper, fresh towels or clean sheets. Though, when we did ask for things, the service was fairly prompt.

The drinks are cheap and the owner is friendly and talkative. However, the food is terrible, poorly cooked and bad quality. The vegetarian breakfast was cooked in bacon fat, which left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would stay here again, I just wouldn't eat here.

Room Tip: Nice sunsets from the raised bar.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fryazino, Russia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Strawberry resort was nice, cosy and comfortable. We stayed in a clean, wooden hut with a toilet, running water and other basic needs. (Some resorts have their toilets separately). The resort is quiet and just two steps away from the beach. Otres beach 2 is a little bit isolated from the rest of the city, so you might want to rent a bike or take a tuk-tuk to the nearest market. Food is a little bit costly compared to other cities in Cambodia we've been to, but here you don't really have a choice.
Overall me and my friend enjoyed our stay and the owner was absolutely friendly.

Room Tip: - Upon your arrival to Sihanoukville, tuk tuk drivers will try to convince you that Otres 2 is too f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I spent 3 nights here and was quite happy with my choice. My simple bungalow was clean and pleasant. The bed was comfortable and even at the steamy end of the dry season, a fan was sufficient. The mosquito net worked well. The upstairs dining area is comfortable and attractive (although I wish they had more than one fan). Michael, the relatively new owner, is very friendly and welcoming. His Khmer fiance and her sister both speak pretty good English and are helpful and friendly. As others have said, it's about 30 seconds from even the back bungalows to the beach. The walk-in rate is $15/night, although I got it, booked on Agoda, for just over $13/night. Their long-stay discounts are excellent: stay a week and you get a bungalow for just $8/night; stay a month and it's just $6/night.

Otres 2 is at the eastern end of Otres, separated from the much more developed Otres 1 by about a mile of empty beach. I found Otres 2 much pleasanter than Otres 1. Both are preferable to the beaches right in Sihanoukville.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo