“Relaxing, Quiet stay on Otres Beach 2”
Review of Otres Beach Resort

Otres Beach Resort
Ranked #79 of 242 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Located at the far end of Otres Beach, it was a great, quiet place to relax away from heaps of tourists and hawkers. Beach itself is nice, and very clean. A few ladies walking around offering massages, but nothing too bothersome. Resort is located just across the street from the beach, about 20-30 meters. Bungalows were basic, but clean and comfortable. Also had a nice porch. Slept very well--no morning noises or coughing as mentioned in previous posts. The main Cambodian man that runs the reception (as there is just the one main guy since the resort is quite small) works very hard to make sure all guests are attended to. Ate at the restaurant several times and were very happy with the food and the prices (they had a deep fried banana with ice cream dessert that was SO good!) Had free Wifi which was nice, had our laundry done while there and were happy with the service. Only thing to note was at least one power outage a day while we stayed there--but wasn't really under the control of the resort and would usually be back up and running in 20-30 minutes. Would recommend if you want to enjoy the relaxing end of Sihanoukville on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2012

If you are looking for something simple, relaxing & quiet - this place is the right one for you, 15 minutes from the center by Tuk Tuk.
The sea is only 100 metres from resort and staff are very friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed for one week - were very pleased. The bungalow was basic but has efficient en-suite, comfortable bed and front balcony. The grounds are nicely landscaped and well kept. Food was good. Don and his staff were always friendly and helpful. All in all, Otres Beach is a great vacation spot - especially if you are looking for laid back - and Strawberry is nice place to take advantage of it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank betdan-canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This place proved to be a cruel joke! Dirty restaurant and Khmer style soup featuring fridge smelly "fresh" fish...no customers in the bungalows apart from the foreign owners extended family; coughing and spitting all night of course, along with crying babies first thing in the morning and barking dogs...rough as wooded bungalows with bug infested mattresses and pillows we suspect; bites and welts all over my feet and arm...NOT on the beach either but across a dirty muddy track and at US$15 a night was definitely poor value...difficult to get to at around 10 klms from the Sihanoukville bus stand. The sea up that end of the beach was riddled with jelly fish as well...6 days advanced reservation to prepare their 'best' room! The whole of one sleepless night we stayed here was most disappointing...never again! The foreign owner who is ill has no control of his business nor his adopted Khmer family to manage it in a fit manner...Many other very well run foreign owned and managed beach side cottages on offer back at Otres Beach 1 with clean rooms, great food, cold beer and a decent sleep! Strawberry rated this high with Tripadvisor out of all the guest houses on offer in this area was very deceiving we felt!

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Don and Theary C, Owner at Otres Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

That it has taken me so long to respond to the comments from wardysworlds stay at Strawberry are for sincere reasons. I hope the reader will trust my word on that. That I care about the issues wardysworld raises are paramount and doubtless. So here we go.
About your complaints
Its true the beer was not cold. I didnt realise it at the time. Its no excuse. Later when i talked to the staff about it. They said ohh but we brought ice for the beer glass. I stood there in dismay when they said that to me. I told them even when we are very quiet they should store a
few beers of each brand in our local food fridges. It was my mistake. Also when we ( we being yourself your wife and myself ) socialised at your table in the restaurant for at least 45 minutes in the evening I never realised there was an issue about the food. I asked you if your meals
were ok and neither you nor your wife had any complaint to make. Its something I naturally do....ask guests, sincerely ask, if their food was ok. You had already eaten and clearly you didnt complain..if you had decided not to be honest about the food at that stage what could I do?
I also remember in the morning of that day mentioning to you and your wife that if there was a special dish or food you liked you should tell me or the staff in advance so you wouldnt be dissapointed.
The next morning your wife came to say you would be checking out and paid the bill. After she paid she went back to the bungalow and then you appeared alone and agressively cornered one of the staff with her young child ( she said you frightened her ) to angrily tell her the bed
was s**t??? When I asked her about what you meant by that (s**t) she said she didnt know. She said that you said that you couldnt sleep all night because your skin was itching. I was quite shocked to hear how you approached her and also to know exactly what your complaint was. My first reaction was to to look for you ( you were gone ) to hear the complaint from your own voice ( perhaps the staff member didnt understand what you were saying or trying to say) and to see the evidence of what you were saying. I believe, in your case, the problem was
sandflies.When you said the bed was s**t we went to the room to examine the bed. You were gone at this stage, according to the staff and the tuk tuk driver that you ordered you left in a hurry. They said you were very angry you had to wait 5 minutes for the tuk tuk. The staff also said that at this stage your wife was very uncomfortable and embarrasssed at your agressive behaviour. We have emails from our original contact with you that would confirm your agressivenes. We never once had a compaint or incident of a guest not being happy or agressively complaining regarding skin problems because of our s**t (your words) beds. You are the first. Regarding the possability of bedbugs.
Of coarse it is possible for a non infested bed to become infested which will happen when a guest will bring the bugs in himself from a previous stay at another guest house or from home etc. One week previous to you staying in that room we had guests who stayed there who never complained about bedbugs or any bug or s**t. Since you stayed there we have also had guests who stayed in the very same room who never complained likewise. However, words just being words, our next move was to have the beds and everything connected to taken out. Four of the staff including myself pulled everything out and apart. We spent at least 3 hours hours examining the rooms. The bed linen....pillows.....blankets.....towels.....matresses. The wood structure of the beds themselves and we found nothing because there was nothing to find. I looked for you on the beach that day. I wanted to tell you the measures we had taken and the results of our elusive bedbug any bug or any s**t search. Your problem was sandflies or perhaps you have some kind of allergy and if bedbugs then they are in your own bag. Even when we have no guests we clean our rooms at least twice a week. We have no bedbugs.....NONE. I think you may have been a bit disappointed because we had no 32 flat screen tv for $10 you stayed in as you did go on a lot about that.
About the spitting and coughing??? I never heard of that before. Never once have we had a complaint about such a thing. Neither have I ever heard it. Nonetheless I take the complaint seriously and will make an effort to find the source. The Khmer rise early and I will do likewise....5am ....5.30 am and see what I hear. Perhaps its just an extension of a bedbug dream. I was surprised you forgot the efforts we made to make your transport to SV as economical and comfortable as possible. Hence the emails I talked about, which I still have copies of. We did our very best for you during your short stay. You said I have an illness.....I didnt go on about that....on the other hand I did listen patiently as you went on and on and on about your heart condition that you had to have treated 5 or 6 times in nepal and india etc etc. And why wouldnt I? You did seem frightened and concerned and a troubled heart is no joke. Regarding our dogs........they are very placid and are a favourite with young children who come to stay here. They are also very good security. They are very large.....a rothweiler and a german shephard. We are the only premises that has not been burgled. The local thieves are
local and they are afraid. On the other hand the dogs never bark at guests no matter what time day or not they come or go. They are super friendly. As for the sea being riddled with jellyfish . First time I ever heard of that also.....what a laugh.......maybe youve been eating to much jelly?? So all i can say is I am truly sorry that I could not see you before you left. I tried but......if you are ever around this way again call in. Im sure we can find you a cold beer. In the meanwhile have a happy heart!! And jelly..... eat plenty of jelly. I love a laugh....love jelly also ( with fresh cream)..Good for the heart ! Take care Mr Wordy.........happy adventures all the way.... Don and Theary

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I spent a week at Strawberry's earlier this year. I live and work in Siem Reap and for my holiday I wanted somewhere quiet, relaxing and with good vibes. Strawberry provided all that and more.

The owner, Don, is wonderful. He wasn't there when I arrived but he called me to make sure I'd arrived ok and to make sure everything was fine. He even called me several times throughout my stay to check in with me which I thought was a really nice touch.

The huts are lovely, basic but nicely done up with a four poster bed style mosquito net which I really liked. There were nice touches such as a bedside table, night lamp as well as decent storage space. Even though the hut was basic, the bathroom had hot water - which was a real luxury! The whole place is obviously well loved and cared for.

The food..oh the food. WOW. There wasn't a single thing on the menu that disappointed. I could have stayed another week just to sample everything on the menu. The staff were great as well. Helpful and friendly and always smiling. Location wise its great. It's at the far end of Otres and a short walk across the road to the gorgeous, clean and quiet beach (think of the exact opposite of Serendipity Beach and you get the idea).

I wouldn't hesitate to go back there, in fact I am hoping to return this year, and I highly recommend it to anyone that want's somewhere to unwind and relax.

Keep up the good work Don and co.!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We read the reviews about Strawberry Resort and were convinced by the 'king chill' review.
So we booked for one night on the 9th of July. Here we had our first minor dissapointment: we couldn't reach them by phone and had to email instead.

When we arrived at Strawberry it looked like a 14 year old girl was running the place since Don, the owner, was on a holiday. The girl showed us a hut and asked if it was ok. She still needed to clean it and didn't do a thorough job.

What we didn't realise when we booked for the night is that the hut's are really really basic. The hut is really open, so bugs and other insects have no trouble getting in. Also, because Strawberry is in the middle of nowhere, the toiletwater as well as the shower and tapwater is ground / rain water.

In the lowseason a lot of dishes from the restaurant are unavailable. Because there are hardly any restaurants nearby, you're stuck with the same dishes.

Wifi didn't work, also because of the low season.

Conclusion: beach is awesomly beautiful, if you look for something quit and laidback this might be the please for you. Don't mind the insects all around you and the ground water coming from the shower.

For us, it was bad timing that Don wasn't there and we were stuck with a incompetent, not really friendly employee. It was also too basic for us and too much in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
Don and Theary C, Owner at Otres Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Hello This is Don. I am very sorry to hear about your experience at Strawberry. For myself I was /am not on holiday but am undergoing chemotherapy in a hospital in Vietnam. It was from there that I answered your booking email using my mobile phone and it was also from there that I called you three times on the telephone before you arrived at Strawberry to try to assist you with your booking and to apologise that you could not get a response from the Strawberry phone number of 012 229200. The telephone at Strawberry that you could not contact is now up and running without fault. The staff said that the charger cable was faulty and that they did not realise the phone battery was dead. Also I am very surprised and disappointed if any of the staff was rude to you, I cant imagine which one it was but I would certainly like to know. Please if you can give me more information + in what way they were rude to you I will look into it further. I dont have any staff that are 14 years old. So I am a little confused about that. Do you remember the girls name, I assume it was a girl....was it? There are only two men working at Strawberry, one is the gardener and the other is the maintenance man both very reliable employees and well above 14 years old. ? About the rooms being dirty and with insects. Did you stay in more that one room? We have 14 in total. I have been in touch with the staff to tell them about your experience and I also told them to check and clean the rooms every 2 days whether we have guests or not. Some times the ants etc can go into a room during the rain season to avoid the weather but that is normal in the tropics also, as much as I would like it, the geckos are not toilet trained. It is a situation we are aware of and constantly monitor. About the food. There is a problem during the off season that if we order a lot of food we can lose most because we are very quiet. Having said this the staff could have explained this to you and asked you to order in advance so once again I am sorry you felt a lack of service in this respect. I hope you will come back to us some day so I can make up to you for your disappointing one night stay. I told the staff that it is the guests who pay their salary and not me and the importance of remembering that.
It is ultra important for me that each guest is valued and their experience at Strawberry is memorable. As you can see, all of our comments except yours, confirm this. Once again I apologize that you were let down.
Best Wishes
Don

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Strawberry is a beautifully set-up little resort - really charming and well-kept bungalows, arranged around a colourful garden. The staff are super smiley and helpful. It's at the chilled end of Otres beach, so is a great place to relax if you want real peace and tranquility.

• Stayed: June 2012