Island Divers Cambodia - CLOSED
Review Highlights
excellent company to dive with, great dive masters

Reviewed June 25, 2013
Alida K
Australia
Awesome trip!

Reviewed April 22, 2013
LMCNZL

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had heard this was a reputable company so being in Cambodia I sent an email requesting dive info. They took 5 days to respond and in the reply simply asked me to provide more information. I then wrote back a detailed email spelling out exactly what kind of dives I wanted and even the dive sites I was interested in checking out. They never bothered to reply. A third and a fourth email went similarly unanswered. So I wrote them off and instead checked out Scuba Nation, another PADI dive shop in the area. They (by comparison) were more than helpful and accommodating. Next time I am in the area I will go directly to Scuba Nation and dive with them.

Dive safety standards are notoriously lax in Cambodia. I have witnessed some blatantly dangerous diving practices around Sihanoukville that sicken me. Based on Island Divers' total lack of professionalism I will never dive with this organization. I have already filed a complaint with PADI.

5  Thank RedwoodResident
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Me and my sister finished our PADI open water course, but even though we did everything we were supposed to do, and even though we send about 10 messages afterwards, over the course of a year, we never got our Licenses.

They say they will fix it, then they don't!
SO WATCH OUT!

Ps. If anybody from Island Divers reads this: please get us our license! you've got all the information in my emails.
If you do, I will update my message on Tripadvisor

Bart and Nine Gramberg

8  Thank BartGramberg
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My three teenage children and i decided to book a open water dive course and ended up going with island divers. We had a really nice three days and all got our open water certificates. The staff where a nice bunch of guys all very enthusiastic and very helpful. After returning home i decided to write this review and was quite shocked to read some of the reviews. Maybe i went with a different island divers ?? To be really honest the food was great, i am a vegetarian and i was catered for, my boys loved the food and my daughter was happy for a change. As for the diving, we had a great time and had a diving instructor and a assistant instructor for just the four of us. The instructor was really nice, she was very patient and really helpful with the academics. The island was great and admittedly a little more than i expected, there was electricity and even internet. We all had a great experience and i would recommend island divers to any family wanting to do something exciting while traveling in Cambodia.
All the staff were great and the whole family felt as though it was a home away from home.
The island has really beautiful white sandy beaches with turquoise water and lots and lots of fish. There was a lots of younger students doing dive courses, i found this very encouraging for the guys.
Over all a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

thoroughly enjoyed the dives i did with Island Divers. Dive masters were a lot of fun. Felt very comfortable and safe with them underwater. All very experienced and were very thorough in their explanations of what was going to happen with the dive. Saw some amazing fish off Koh Rong Samleom. Visibility was excellent. Water temp was like a bath, did not need a wet suit just wore shorts and tshirt. Just wonderful

2  Thank Alida K
Reviewed May 24, 2013

All we wanted is a snorkeling trip and a good place to stay on koh-wrong samlon,
we booked the sunset beach bungalows and the snorkeling trip, everybody over at the office was very nice and promise they have a guy that will meet us on the island and will take us to the amazing bungalows and to a guided snorkeling our.
when we got to the island some guy took us to the bungalows and disappear, there was on reception or restaurant, no body to talk to when the electricity went off and when we booked they "forgot" to tell us hat there s no beach on this side of the island!!!
we and up moving after 1 night to the EcoSea bungalows which was much better.

1  Thank RonyLahav
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Around every turn, it seemed as though this company chooses the cheapest most uncomfortable option for guests. 10pax dorm with bucket shower and hole in floor toilet, mediocre food with not much variety with no concern for vegetarians, rude and condescending instructor (Andy). They've done a five star job at destroying and otherwise beautiful island getaway. They claim to have plans for improvements, but just sounds like ways to expand and be less accountable for the clients experience.

7  Thank Roadie218
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I did my Open Water Dive Cert with Island Divers in March. Included in the package was drop off and pick up at the marina, the boat trip to and from the island (Koh Rong Samloem) and all meals and accommodation. The price was great—the best I could find in Sihanoukville.

When I booked I was told I would be alone but later when a couple signed up I was actually asked by staff if it was ok if they joined me if not they could be placed in a different slot.
Our instructor, Kim, was great and we really felt safe with her, she was very patient and loads of fun. We only had one bad dive with low visibility but were moved on to a better site straight away. All of our other dives were simply amazing—we were taken to a new site every time and Kim even took time to talk to us about what we saw and how to identify it after each dive—she even lent us her book on identifying marine life (which accidently went for a swim—oops!).
We were massively overcompensated for an extra person wanting to join our group once we were on the island—all three of us were given an extra nights free accommodation and a free fun dive the following day. Our leader for the fun dive, Teresa, was great also—knowing that we were freshies she kept a close eye on us and took us to a great site.

The accommodation is certainly not 5 star (dorm rooms at the dive centre on the island, power out at about 10pm, hole in the ground toilet, bucket shower etc) but you're told this when you book and given the option to stay elsewhere on the island. We stayed there and it was fine—definitely seen worse in SE Asia! It was at least clean!

No internet or cell reception here and plenty of time to meet the locals—you won't get hassled to buy anything. There's no motorbikes or tuk tuks—super chilled place to escape the hustle.

Ended up making some great friends and had an awesome time with Island Divers!

2  Thank LMCNZL
Reviewed March 20, 2013

we went on 1 day snorkeling tour, all went smooth, until the second boat ride,

boat just left without us even that we get to the pier on time. girl just told me "sorry" after they come back.

also on the way back their tuk-tuk was overcrowded with 7 people with bags in it.

2  Thank Anthony S
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We loved this place! We stayed on Koh Rong Samloem for over a week. Our Bungalow (Sunset Bungalows) overlooked the water which was where we spent most of our time snorkelling. If you don't scuba dive, don't let this deter you from booking with these guys. The dive boats also take snorkellers out to the dive sites. The instructors on the Island and staff in Sihanoukville are really friendly and helpful.
To get to the Bungalows, you pass through a lovely little village where you can buy the freshest fruit all peeled and ready to go, or have a beer anywhere.
Children and very friendly dogs everywhere!
Advice: spend the time to talk with the local people, but remember that they do live here, this is their home. Be respectful- running around pissed half naked isn't cool. Also, bring a headlamp as the power goes off in many places at around 11:00pm.
There is no cell or internet here, so be prepared and book ahead for your next destination before arriving on the Island.
We wanted to stay 4 days and ended up staying 8.

2  Thank Tara L
BethIslandDivers, Manager at Island Divers Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hello! Thank you for your feed back, we are very happy you enjoyed your time on our island!
Hope to see you soon!
Beth

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Located on a remote island near the bigger island of Koh Rong is tropical Koh Rong Samloem. It's quiet and still very authentic. The island diving accomodation offered was good and the crew was really friendly/skilled. And the aquatic life was beyond our expectations as well! In short: if you're up for an adventure, just do it!