“Lovely rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 72 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Lovely rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

After staying 1 night at another hotel just up the road to the beach, I was more than happy to pay the extra few $'s to get a lovely room with a sea view. The pool is 30m long and in a well kept condition. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpfull and got a smile from reception and the housekeeping staff every time I met one. Parts of the hotel is still under construction, but this does not take anything awat from having a wonderful stay. The room amenities is above average for this price class with a bathroom worthy of a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Take the seaview rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

First off, the amenities are quite good. This is probably the closest thing you will get, (outside of renting Song Saa Island for $1,000+ a night), to a 5 star hotel in Sihanoukville. The location is near-perfect and the amenities are awesome.

I stayed here for 3 weeks, then another two days before I left Sihanoukville so I'm very familiar with the SBR overall. I paid $35/night for the first 3 weeks, then upgraded to the pool-access room on the first floor for my last two nights which was $54/night. I actually loved the room. It was clean and modern -- kind of reminded me of a very bare-bones version of a Westin hotel -- dark wicker furniture, nice floor to ceiling curtains, purple chair covers and oak furniture. My first room, which was the cheapest one they had, came with a large bathroom with a tub and glass-encased shower, two twin beds, a couch and living room table, and a lounge chair, a desk area, a large TV with cable, plenty of closet space, a fridge, and coffee/tea/champagne glasses/coffee cups/etc. I will say the beds were a little hard for my liking but I normally prefer uber-soft beds, so that wasn't a big deal. The cleaning service was fantastic also and they did a great job servicing the room. I also enjoyed the huge pool because it was always very private and a nice oasis separated from the hustle of Serendipity beach or the other hotel pools around the area.

On my experiences with the staff: i read some of the previous reviews criticizing the staff attitude and I disagree. My experiences were, for the most part, very good. I had a few very small bumps in the road that meant nothing to me because at the end of the day, it's the hotel itself (amenities, location etc) that really makes the experience, not the few people you have to deal with for a few minutes throughout the entire week. When I checked in there were a few new younger staff members that were still in training. I found them to be really sweet and adorable. There were a few icier ladies manning the reception but they never overtly did anything to offend me. This may sound a little weird, but my biggest complaint about the hotel is the lobby area. You have to walk up a set of stairs to get to it and then there is about a 20M gap from the door to the reception. Every time you walk in or out, the reception is staring at you come back or watching you leave... which made coming and going somewhat uncomfortable, even when I had to run to the mini-mart to buy a few jugs of water... nothing but stares and no greetings when I got back unless I initiated with a smile. One of the receptionists always asked me where I was going or where I had been... trying to be nice/make conversation, but still, none of her business...

There are small details about this hotel indicating its newbie status. If management can take care of little details such as putting mats on the stairs so I don't trip every time I go up and down and fix the drainage issue in the shower, I think it could reach 4 star hotel status. It's not there yet, but bottom line, if you're not on a budget I'd recommend staying here. Yes, the staff is inexperienced and sometimes I felt a little weird going in and out, but the rooms are still hands-down the best in Sihanoukville. Sihanoukville has 3 hotels are considered high-end: Coolabah, Reef Resort, and SBR. Coolabah's staff and restaurant were great but the location was horrible. I also saw their best, most expensive room for $75/night and it still didn't even compare with the square footage, cleanliness, and modernity of SBR, and Reef Resort was older, forgettable, and not on the beach. I've seen over 15 rooms in Sihanoukville and SBR is still the best, in my opinion.

Stay here if you can. It's a work in progress but it can only improve from here. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool access room on the first floor if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tricialin
Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having been stuck in Sihanoukville for a day we walked into a couple of hotels looking for somewhere to stay. For whatever reason this place was picked by one of our group. Big mistake.

This hotel is relatively nice by comparison to most in Sihanoukville but the staff leave a lot to be desired. We actually had the check-in person being rude to us before we even finished checking in - which should have raised some alarm bells. The room was decent enough but the real story came when we got up in the morning - no water at all. We went downstairs and asked what was happening and that said it would be fixed in 15 minutes. And repeated this line for the next four and half hours. We were due at a function just after midday and needed to shower and get changed but reception staff couldn't care less - eventually saying we should have stayed elsewhere. By that stage we'd checked out and they then wouldn't even let us use the pool or toilets to get changed.

On asking for the manager to discuss a partial refund we were told he was out of town so we asked them to call him/her. They refused. We didn't get so much as an insincere apology from the staff for wasting our time and forcing us to have to pay another hotel to let us have a shower.

Four days later we were back in town on the way back through so we went and asked for the manager again - same story. This hotel doesn't have a manager man enough to discuss their terrible borderline dishonest operations.

While we were outside an American traveller came up to us completely out of the blue and said we should consider staying elsewhere (too late by then) as he'd stayed there previously and he'd returned to his room on one occasion to find a staff-member in there for no particular reason - nor would offer one when asked.

There are plenty of hotels nearby where they will appreciate your business and treat you with a friendly smile and a level of respect you'd think a hotel would offer. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here based on pics of the rooms. Other hotels nearby offer a higher level of care and ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rob W

Travelers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel looks okay, and the reviews aren't so bad either. However, there is some truth to the stories about the staff being unfriendly - I just don't let them be unfriendly, and I great them with a grin and a smile and after a moment pause, they do they same.

We booked in for one night, with the intention to stay two. We never made it to the second night. For the record, we were on the first floor, not a pool access. Our room was overlooking the pool. The pool itself was murky, and I decided straight away not to swim in it. I figured there must be a reason for it's murkiness, and I was right.

The first problem was that the shower drain didn't drain. I nearly flooded the bathroom. However, as we were only staying a night we decided to ignore this as there was also a bath in the bathroom with a shower head, so that was enough for us.

However, at approximately 1:30am my mum and I were awoken by an almighty roar. Somehow, I will never understand how, but a HUGE and I mean HUGE torrent of water was spewing out of the drain hole on our balcony. Now, remember we weren't on the ground floor - we were one story up. It was honestly like someone had set a fire hydrant off, it was going straight up in the air about 7ft high. The water was hitting our window at such a force we were terrified that the glass doors were going to implode in on us. As it was, water was coming in the room, and it was only sheer luck that our backpacks were over the other side of the room, so the only thing that got wet was the curtains and the chairs/couch. The water coming out was filthy, and the next morning our balcony was covered in a foul silt/residue. All this water ran straight into the pool as well, which is why I think it was so filthy.

Anyway, mum and I went down stairs (after the phone in the room didn't work) and woke up the guy and the girl at reception, though I don't think they were meant to be asleep. They didn't seem surprised but then again, I don't think they understood what we were trying to tell them. We managed to get them to understand we needed someone to clean up the room though. About ten minutes later a man came with the crummiest looking mop, no bucket, and proceeded to just spread around the water. We just smiled and thanked him.

We decided to stay elsewhere, and upon checking out, we tried to tell the staff what had happened. But again, they had absolutely no idea what we were trying to convey. Oh well, it's not their fault.

The creamer supplied with the tea and coffee was mummified also, and was so hard we couldn't even wash it down the sink. Trivial, but I was amused, as I'd never seen creamer do that before. Also, some of the toiletries supplied were only empty boxes - we were missing a shower cap, tooth brush, and a soap. I found it hilarious to be honest. Do they assume that we don't actually use them? Those little bits and pieces can come in handy :)

Anyway, it was certainly an interesting night. And not one I could recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mollycrownmolly
British
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I used to stay with my friends many time at SERENDIPITY BEACH RESORT. i stayed with pool access room $ 45/nights .i stayed 4 nights. the room is very nice with modern bath room,high clean room.the front desk always smile and have friendly and helpful also,especially the ladies at evening. At the front desk put a sign (CAN NOT BRING OVER NIGH GIRL IN TO HOTEL* PROSTITUTE*) NOT MEAN(CAN NOT BRING GIRL FRIEND )and the swimming normally closed at 21:00.but one guy he said (working girl) i think may be he doesn't have( BRAIN) to think before he said,everything that he said were lied. I will be back to stay there a gain.

Room Tip: Good view hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Lovely hotel though unfinished. There are signs eveywhere taking the high moral ground that prostitutes are not permitted in the hotel but the place was full of them -it anooyed us that they had those signs and then our stay was ruined one night when a working girl was yelling that she wanted more money while swimming in the pool at 2am - security did nothing when I cmplained so I had to get them to shut up.

Room Tip: Pool side is great if they enforce the pool curfew
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gary S
San Rafael, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Could be the best hotel in town - if they would do simple things like allow an extra key for a triple room, finish building the restaurant & bar, open the outdoor cafe area (currently stacked with wrapped furniture), fix the drainage so you don't kill yourself walking on wet tiles around the pool, put cushions on the pool chairs and put the umbrellas where they actually shade the chairs. Oh yeah and have wifi that works consistently in the rooms Until they do this place is a bargain at $38/night. Rooms are huge and nice, and the pool is enormous. Handy location but note that a sea view room also looks down on the empty lot / garbage dump next door.

• Stayed September 2012