“2nd chance --- failed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Phnom Penh
“2nd chance --- failed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Freaking Horrible!!!

The 1st time we were there was a week after their soft opening. There were 7 of us. Right when we walked in, the guy in the glasses, calling himself manager, asked us to be quiet or leave the hotel. We booked the rooms ahead of time, but didn't get the rooms that we book, 5 rooms total. We had an argument with the manager (the guy in the glasses) and afterward he let us check in. Our bad experience didn't end there.

The place is nice. The swimming pool is huge. The room is modern and beautifully design, not a complaint there. But the walls are thin. You can hear everything from room to room. Even the annoying radio conversations among the staff can be heard in the rooms.

After we unload our belongings in the rooms, we hung around the pool and this is when we had another encounter with the manager (the guy in black-rimmed glasses). This guy needs a crash course in hospitality. Whoever left him to manage this nice of a place didn't think this through. He came and told us again that we don't keep it down we will be kick out of the hotel and if the towels become dirty we will have to pay for it. We were shocked at his approach. I didn't think we were being loud. But I thought this is the 2nd time he gave us the warning may be we were just a little, so we keep our voices down. Keep in mind that this is 1400 (2pm) in the afternoon.

Not 5 minutes later, another group came in, we assumed they to be his friends as he greeted them 100 times better than us. They are about 10 years younger than us. They came in with their iPod and speakers blasting away, not 20 feet from us. And not a word from him. The manager (same guy in glasses) even walked over and took a shot with them. We were speechless.

We try to enjoy our time, the little we can and plan on checking out the next morning. We had a good night sleep then went to get ready to check out. Thought the check out was suppose to be a simple process. We paid ahead per their initial requests. During the checkout, we still had to endure what we thought was a humiliating process. Standing there being questioned about the use of the towel, even attempting to look through our bags but we didn't let them. We told them what are you looking for but they didn't let us know. After about half an hour, we were checked out and on our way back to Phnom Penh.

That trip was back in June 2011. Our group is planning another trip in a couple of weeks and thought we might give this hotel another try since it was a really nice hotel and that may be they have worked out the initial service kinks.

I called this morning to book 6 rooms for one night. A lady picked up and politely inquire about my info. I gave it to her and ask her if there are 6 rooms single bed available for my intended date to stay. She replied yes....Keep in mind that this whole conversation happened in her native language, Khmer, not English. I told her that I will take it. After I gave my full info, she finally said that no single bed available only double beds, will that be okay? I asked her why didn't you tell me that in the beginning. She said laugh politely over the phone. So I told her that double bed is also fine. She began finish the booking process. At the end she said, this booking is not a confirmation that you will get the room until you check in.

I was shocked. What is the point of booking if it's not confirm? She said we have a lot of walk-in business if someone walk-in first before we checked in, the hotel policy is to give the room away. After going back and forth, defining the term booking to her, I gave up. I finally said, "No, Thank you," and hang up.

So disappointing. For such a nice place and good value, to gave such horrible manager and staff. Blame it on lack of hospitality experience. What a shame.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank eDay0412

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

Sihanoukville can be difficult to find quality accommodation for a low price. Luckily we found this place and immediately moved here. Great rooms that are clean and spacious. Awesome bathroom with large glass window and automatic blind for privacy. The pool is nice.... But can be quite dirty. And an awesome location

And all for 30 dollars!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the pool with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben M
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

just finished 5 nights at this resort and without question the best value around. This is a new grand hotel right near the beach. Very large well appointed rooms with a beautiful oversized washroom including luxury shower and bath. Nice quiet air conditioning. A fantastic 100 foot pool. We found the service good and staff excellent. This is our fourth time to Cambodia and this was by far the best accomodation we have had in this price range!

Room Tip: no elevator - if you dont like stairs choose a lower level floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hilary h
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

What can I say, at USD$30 per night for creature comforts I almost had to pinch myself. If you were after sea views I think you would pay more.The rooms were huge, as was the bathroom and the pool...30mtrs! Only a short strole (3 mins) to the water and resturants/bars. Very comfortable and clean and the aircon worked a treat and was quiet. Such as the other reviews, the staff were a bit 'standoffish', not rude by any means, almost like they had their 'Training wheels' on. I doubt the price will remain the same for long as the airport is opening up quite soon. You can get cheaper rates elsewhere, but for $30 per night, why the hell would you! And you can pay by the day!
Enjoy.

Room Tip: Go the ground floor, no stairs when you've 'had a few'.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ulverston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

For a bargain USD30 there is no need to look any further. Even if you are a back packer in for the longhaul you should treat yourself! Big swimming pool and well appointed rooms, this quality of hotel would cost significantly more elsewhere. The massive bathroom even has a Western sized tub for two and remote control privacy screen for the gadget minded. oh yeah it is only 2mins to the beach and other goodies...

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Boothtel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel looks really new. The rooms are spacious and you can have a choice of a sea-view or pool-view room. The ones at the pool seem to be slightly better than the ones with the sea-view, which is why we chose the pool one initially. Unfortunately, my fiance found out that the door of the pool-view room is not safe. He could open it from the outside even if it was locked. We had to change it for a safer option.

The hotel didn't offer any breakfast which is not that disturbing but there should be a choice, I suppose.

The rooms are nice, there is a security box, and I really enjoyed the bathroom.

When it comes to the reception service, I have a few 'buts.' A few women seemed to be arrogant whenever asked to do anything. There is a lot of rules and you might feel uncomfortable listening to what you can't do and if you do anything there will be an extra charge. Warning about restrictions will stop some customers from re-visitting the hotel.

I can't forget to mention a wonderful situation which happened to us. We got food poisoning and we were so ill that we had to be taken to the hospital. One of the receptionists (with curly hair) who phoned for an ambulance, visited us in the hospital on her day off. She asked us if we needed anything. She also organised a free ambulance back to the hotel. That was a highlight of our holidays. We are really grateful for such hospitality.

Overall, the standard of the rooms is quite high but the customer service needs to be worked on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank consciousDecisions
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Great place and the rooms are really nice. True the fit and finish of the hotel is pretty poor. Anyway, I suppose you have to be fair. The price is great, but service is not so. I am not quite sure if I would stay here again, still have a few days left to make up my mind. At the moment.........I will reserve my judgement until I check out.

• Stayed September 2011