“Mushroom disappoint- sorry!”

Mushroom Point
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Mushroom disappoint- sorry!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am sincerely sorry to say this but the people who run the lodge really are lovely and everything, but I think the lodge is overpriced. The novelty idea of it being mushroom shaped rooms is really fun, and made me smile and thought it was quirky, but there was very little space, it is not on the beachfront and the mozzie nets were not clean- had holes in (spent night trying to kill mozzies in my net) and my friend also had a smell coming from the neighbours which kind of came to our room- and the staff were nice in trying to give incense so I know they meant well. I think if the smell is fixed, the rooms are cleaned up a bit them maybe it will be worth more (the place opposite was loads cheaper and on the beach with new huts) but for me this was a basic backpacker quality which reminded me of my youth when I was not so bothered- I think the money is paying for the novelty idea-although staff were really nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ju33333

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Excellent value for money! Right on the beach. I stayed in a 7 bed dorm, unusual
Circular beds, more of a novelty, if you are tall you would struggle to sleep well. Got very stuffy, 3 fans but straw roof seemed to make it hotter. Bed linen was quite stained and a lot of crawlies get through the nets, though that's not the guesthouses fault. Food amazing, staff ok. Overall would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I arrived here after a hellish bus ride and no sleep the night before. I asked a moto to take me here because I remembered the name of the top of my head off of tripadvisor. For a private room in the low season, they asked for $20, and then offered $15 if I agreed to stay two nights. After negotiation we agreed on $15 for the night with no obligation to stay a second night. I'm glad I didn't, because when I looked at other places around Otres Beach the next day, I found bungalows of equal (or only slightly lesser) quality for a third of the price. You can get a bungalow with a big bed and cold shower (which is what I got at Mushroom) at many other places along Otres much cheaper. I got a room for $4 that was only a bit shabbier, but hey, you're there to chill on the beach, not in the room. I felt a bit scammed that I paid this extra cash on a backpackers budget when there are other places to be had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We loved this little place on Otres Beach, which is, in my opinion, the best beach in Sihanoukville. Mushroom Point is very unique and quirky - single and twin rooms are little mushrooms! We stayed in a mixed dorm, which was clean and spacious, and we loved the round beds. The showers were also clean and hot, and the bar/restaurant area was great - an excellent place to relax in and meet other people, with cushions, hammocks, books etc. The food here, although not that cheap, is very good indeed, and overall we thought that Mushroom Point was excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hannah K
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Folks - you'll never find a 3 stars spot on Otres Beach. It's a low-key, mini-paradise, off-the-beaten-path location where you'll savor the remoteness, quietness and raw. I'll tell you that Mushroom Point's the best to offer than any spots on Otres Beach - clean 'rondavell-shaped' bungalow with towels, best and price for price kitchen and smooth service. In fact, it won awards such as best accommodation voted by 1000000 hostelworld.com customers. I'm gonna shut up 'cuz I've said enough. :-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RyverSmith
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived there for a couple of nights. Nice room, clean and good facilities in the room. The environment was great with the mushroom-like bungalows.
Maybe a bit pricey for what you get, but its a nice place to stay. More quite than other places around Sihanoukville.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bromma, Sweden
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My initial plan was just to stay here for 3 nights but now it has been more than a week and I am still here - doing work-exchange just because I am oh-so in love with this place!!!

It is just few steps away from the beach. One of the reason I chose Mushroom Points obviously because of its mushroom-ish design and the round bed. Sexy. Might be pretty pricey for a budget traveler like me but once in a while or if you like it very much, why not eh?!

Basically at first, I think I made a wrong choice to stay here because Otres Beach is none like Serendipity Beach. It is relatively quite, chill and too relax for party people like me but after spent 3 days here, especially on this awesome Mushroom Point whereby the owners and the staffs treated you like a family, I got the calmness vibes and I like it!

Well, going to town/Serendipity area is not a problem as lots of TukTuks and MotoTaxis around. The f&b provided might be a little bit pricey but actually it is just the same like any other restaurant or guesthouse everywhere around Sihanoukville. That's not the question. Is the price worth the taste and the portion? YES is the answer. They might serve you your food kindda slow but they were slow because they prepared everything fresh from scratch. Nothing ready-made. Even the French fries.

While no guesthouses or hostels clean up your space and made your bed every day, Mushroom Point does. They even provide (change) the towel everyday. This is the extra point of Mushroom Point.

The Chill-Out point where the guests hang out together pretty much a cool place to lazy-ing around. Lots of cushions, bolsters, hammocks, magazines, books for your comfy. Big LCD TV for you to watch movie of your choice, too! This area will be really busy at night although at low season.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo