“Pick another company - do NOT use Ecosea” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of EcoSea Dive Day Trips

EcoSea Dive Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: EcoSea Dive offers all PADI and SSI dive courses, from Open Water Diver to Divemaster. Daily fundives and overnight stay in our bungalows on Koh Rung Sanloem. Affordable internship options available for divers looking to go pro and make diving their living.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Pick another company - do NOT use Ecosea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I chose Ecosea based on Lonely Planets recommendation and I have to say I am sorely disappointed for so many reasons.

Here are the lowlights:
1. Poor weather is NOT mentioned even when they know that it is unlikely dives will be possible due to high winds
2. Equipment is boardering on dangerous - it is poor condition. Old wetsuits, dirty and unhygenic eye masks, BCD straps were worn and near impossible to adjust, depth gauge on all 5 divers did NOT work, octopus was also dirty
3. Lunch was a bit pitiful - plain rice, pasta salad, some fish and some vegies - I was later sick for 24 hours as a direct result
4. My friend and my experience was a 1 day trip to return to Sihanoukville the same day, my friend was wanting to complete two introductory dives and myself two fun dives, due to poor weather, which they would have known about the day before when we booked, my friend was unable to complete any dives and I only completed one with incredibly low visability which rendered it a pointless and unenjoyable dive.

Upon returning to the office at Sihaunokville after spending 5 hours on the boat there and back, eating a mediocre lunch and one crappy dive between us they had the cheek to charge us for the ferry trip even though the only purpose of taking the trip was for diving that we couldn't do ($20 return), they even tried to charge us for the lunch! We argued this was unreasonable because the ferry was a part of the day trip for diving and with no diving more refund should be given but they refused advising that the ferry was not company owned, we disagreed seeing as their company name is painted all over them, however they refused.

It is a dismal company with poor service, poor equipment, poor food and who also knowingly accepts trips for diving even when they know the conditions are poor and unlikely to result in dives.

Shame on you Ecosea, you don't deserve any custom.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Peta H
Kyoko O, Owner at EcoSea Dive Day Trips, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback. We were very disappointed to receive your review and sorry to hear that your day trip was not up to your standards. We do feel that you are wrong on all accounts.

The first issue you raised was the poor weather. Due to the lack of reliable weather forecasts in Cambodia it is not possible for us to predict what the weather will be like the next day. Or even out at the island. If everyone here decided not to take people across to the islands every time we thought there might be windy conditions we would all go out of business. Weather conditions did not prevent the boat from going. But as it was after arrival at the island our instructor did decide to cancel your friends introductory dives as conditions were not adequate for a non-certified diver. Conditions were however good enough for a certified diver and you conducted your first dive.

Second issue you raised concerning the condition of our equipment.
All our equipment is fully serviced by certified and reliable maintainers. The Wetsuits and (eyemasks?) masks, BCD's, fins are all washed and cleaned in fresh water at the end of every day. Masks, snorkels and Regulator mouth pieces are also disinfected daily. As for the depth gauges, you mention they did not work? Maybe you don’t know how to read?

The third issue you raised was lunch. For $5 we provide an all you can eat buffet lunch, as you mentioned, with rice, pasta, salad, (local fresh) fish and vegetables. Maybe some of the local vegetable did not agree with you? However we do teach our kitchen staff about hygiene and cleanliness and constantly keep an eye on this.

You’re forth issue mentioned about the diving again. When we decided conditions were not good for your friend’s first steps to diving (intro dives) we promptly cancelled her dives. We cannot control visibility underwater and part of gaining experience underwater is learning to dive in reduced visibility conditions as you can never tell when it will happen. Having had some experience helps in how a person deals with it the next time. On the mainland we were notified of this and promptly agreed to a refund of all diving not completed.

We are sorry you spent 5 hours on the boat there and back. The journey there was the normal time about 2 hours but the journey back may have taken a while longer due to the prevailing weather conditions.

When you arrived back at our office we already had all your money ready to hand back for the dives you could not do including your second dive cancelled by yourself. This we were happy to do! Then you demanded we give back all the money for the food. We know there was nothing wrong with the lunches as 2 other customers waiting in the background told us afterwards they were shocked by what you said. Anyway we relented and gave you a refund also for the 2 lunches.

Then you decided to go the whole hog and demand a refund for the ferry boat ticket out to the island with threats of bad reports on here Trip Advisor! If we did not do. This we could not comply with as the boat is not part of our company and the ticket is a separate issue. Yes our name is on the side of the boat but that does not make it our boat! So we are not sorry that we could not refund this also as you made the boat journey of your own free will.

We are sorry that you did not get the diving you wanted but we also feel that non of your comments had any validity.
Regards
EcoSea Dive

Phnom Penh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect moment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Three days in a paradise. I came there for get my OpenWater, it was a perfect conditions. Only two guys with the dive master, progressive exercices, and special mention for the amazing night dive. Like a dream!!
Each meal was shared with the staff because they had time to share!!
The bungalows are simply but really nice, lost somewhere between jungle and beach....
Thanks to them!!
If you want to get your OpenWater, or just doing snorkelling, or having a good time; feel free to come there. It's really better than Koh Rong and its lot of tourists and bars...

Visited October 2013
EcoSeaDive, Front Office Manager at EcoSea Dive Day Trips, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hi Matthieu,

Thank you for you great review. We are very happy that you chose to complete your SSI Open Water with us and that you enjoyed our peaceful island getaway. It would be great to see you come back at some point to maybe do your AOW, we'll be waiting to welcome you back.

Best regards
Rob
Rhodes, Dhodhekanisos, Greece
“It's all about the instructor..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

..And our was marvelous. We were two divers taking the advanced course, the weather was so so and turbidity was against us but the highlight of our trip to the island was our instructor. Caring, fun and quick on salving problems (like no wetsuits in size M) the place is paradise, food was grate (specially the dinners) and the time spend with the instructors was a real pleasure. People working at the place (restaurant and resort) are locals so our staying was actually contributing to the local community. Night diving was probably the most fun, due to all the florescence, but also the slow drift dives were a grate deal of pleasure. Bring a towel though, (and sheets?!) if your staying in the dorm.

Visited October 2013
EcoSeaDive, Front Office Manager at EcoSea Dive Day Trips, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions, we certainly take note of these.
We are sorry that there was no new medium sized wetsuits as these were already taken. We are just awaiting the arrival of new wetsuits to accommodate customers of all sizes.
Although our dorm beds do have sheets, extra sheets/blankets are available upon request from the reception.
We wish you all the best in your future diving
Perth, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disorganised abd unprofessional”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We had terrible weather when we arrived on the Island and beacause of the general unwellness felt by the group we opted to wait a while before diving. When we did finally go diving we were assisgned one dive master for 5 divers and two of the divers were very inexperienced. My understanding and also what was informed is that there should be one dive master to 4 divers. One person in the group mentioned this and very quickly our dive master got another diver (dive master we had assumed-but now I'm not so sure) to come along. We were then of the understanding that we would be split into two groups. Once we had descended you were unable to see a thing. Vis was less than a meter you could only just see the flippers in front of you. I felt very very unsafe. After about 20min our instructor told us to surface because two of the divers were missing. Two young boys who we thought were with the other guide but the other guide was with us. Luckily when we surfaced they were in the boat. They had gotten lost early into the dive and surfaced and it took aboit 20min for the instructors to realise. On mentioning this inscedent to the head office on our return we were brushed off and no real concern was given.

I had pre-paid for my dives so begrudgingly went diving again the next day. Fortunately the weather was much better and I had two great dives. There wasnt enough time on my trip for me to do all the dives I had paid for and getting one dive reimbursed was a massive chore. All in all this company is interested in your money and not your experience. My dive instructor was lovely but the management is terrible. Definitely choose somewhere else to dive with.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Lillly_renae
EcoSeaDive, Front Office Manager at EcoSea Dive Day Trips, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear customer, while I cannot fully comment on the reasons behind why the dive went ahead on this particular day, steps have been taken to ensure that it cannot happen again.
Namely ensuring that a dive is aborted if visibility is below a particular distance, based on each individual divers ability. Which will be assessed well before a dive commences.

As for refunding money, I did have to make checks before I could go ahead. Once that was done a refund was given without delay. And I apologise if this was not quick enough.
Dublin, Ireland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Tip Top”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

On deciding to do the PADI Open Water Cert, Eco-Sea were the obvious choice offering an all inclusive package (dinner excluded $6) for 3day & 2night's on the beautiful and secluded Koh Rong Samloem.
They did not disappoint.
Although dorms are basic (no problem there), I would struggle to imagine a nicer and more welcoming place to learn to scuba.
Kyoko was an excellent instructor (thank you) and everybody from restaurant staff to diveboat crew were so friendly and attentive. Food was excellent, views were stunning and we had the white sandy beach to ourselves, sandcrabs aside.
I highly recommend Eco-Sea even if you don't intend on diving.

Visited June 2013
EcoSeaDive, Front Office Manager at EcoSea Dive Day Trips, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Many thanks for your review of our resort and facility's. At EcoSea Dive & KRS Villas we do our best to make sure you have an unforgetable vacation and it does make us happy when we get this right.
I will pass your comments on to our staff on the island whom I know will very happy that you enjoyed your stay and diving with us.
Look forward to your next vacation.
Regards