“Kill Me”

Ranked #68 of 228 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Kill Me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was the absolute WORST place I stayed on my ENTIRE 40 day trek through Laos, Thailand and Cambodia. We went with a tour group; otherwise I never would have picked this place. From the outside it looks acceptable. However my first night sleeping here my roommate woke me up saying she just saw rats running past her bed. I thought she was probably imagining it but went to turn on the light to investigate only to hear squeaking. The rats ran back through the shower drain (which is apparently where they came from). We had left the bathroom door open because it couldn't properly close and after this incident we figured out a way to use an elastic band to keep it shut. Staff hardly spoke English and didn't seem to care about rats in rooms. Fast forward a few days and my roommate was alone in our room while I was on the beach. She frantically starts to text me saying that a HUGE rat just crawled out of my bag. After running to the front desk in a panic asking for help (no one spoke English and therefore didn't help) she enlisted the help of a Tuk Tuk driver. They used a broom to sweep it towards the bathroom drain but it was too big to fit through. Eventually they swept it out of the front door instead. This was terrifying to us because obviously it hadn't gotten into our room the same way as the other rats so HOW exactly did it get in there? Once again the staff didn't seem to care about our problem. We ended up moving to the Rockstar Inn next door because there was no way we wanted to continue our stay at Mien Mien. To me a rat problem seems like something that is completely unacceptable and the staff's lack of concern was one of the most frustrating experiences of my trip. If you want to see what a few nights in hell feels like stay at the Mien Mien.

Room Tip: Get the hell out
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Beihai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay here but would definitely next time. Not on the beach though cause the bungalows are a bit drab,...they have brand new brick ones behind the restuarant (15$).

Why I am writing this is to recommend the staff and the food here. Wow wow. Fresh spring rolls, ginger pork, sweet. Sour chicken. Wonderful. We also asked the owner to arrange fresh whole fish for us which was amazing (5$) and double the size of other restaurants on the beach.

I must mention though that the service is slow slow slow, but the food is fresh, and you're in Cambodia and its about relaxing right?

Awesome restaurant.

Also a must do is take the boat trip here for snorkeling etc. it's 9 - 4 and 8$ a person includes breakfast and lunch, plus drinks and fishing. Best one for price and value on the beach, be careful of the touts on the beach and the tourism agencies on the road, we were ripped off by 'MR YEATS'. They overcharge and don't deliver what they say.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I am willing to rated it 4 but because I paid 25 / night ( due to Chinese New Year) , I will settle it with 3. Basic requirement like comfort, cleanliness, friendliness & location are acceptable. Will explore others for comparison but will settle for this if option is not available.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

It is a cheap stay - you get a fan room with a mosquito net and cold shower for $15/night. Wifi is included in the price. We did not get any towels but I think you can ask for one at the reception. One of the three nights we stayed there a rat came into the room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carl A
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

The bungalows are actually adjacent rooms on two rows in front of the beach. Toilets clogged, not too clean, a little expensive for what it is but it caters mainly to a cheap hippyish crowd, as most of places in Otres beach. The food is good and the staff very friendly. Nice location

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is basic accommodation in little bungalows, but anywhere along this bit of beach is pretty similar... the beautiful beach, excellent food and friendly staff are what makes this an excellent stay for the money!!! i would recommend this to anyone.... best budget place i have stayed! If you do go say hello to Baoham for me..... beautiful girl, beautiful soul!! :o) x

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

The location is really good. It's cheap and basic. We paid $10 for a room with a double bed, fan, free wifi and private bathroom. We didn't have any problems during our stay. The staff was really friendly and helpful and the young tuktukdriver who worked for the place was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple