“Where do you start ?!!”

Mien Mien
Ranked #70 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
“Where do you start ?!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Even though this place is rat infested and ant infested, this didn't even bother us as much as the female manager. Seriously she is unbelievable!! If you mention her to anyone about town in sihanoukville, not even otres, she is known to be incredibly rude and impossible to deal with.

Her daily rudeness to us during our stay had just become the norm, it was actually laughable. She will be sitting doing her nails or eating and doesn't even acknowledge you she just grunts and points and yes she speaks good English when she wants to !

However on our last day we had to check out of our room at 12 and we weren't leaving until a few hours later so I went to reception and asked her where I could leave my bag while we went and got some lunch. I got the usual grunt and point to the corner of the room. I said are u sure it will be ok here and got the usual yes yes yes of course, stop asking me stupid questions attitude back.

So when I went back to get my bag to get an onwards scheduled bus to Ho Chi Minh she looked at me and said I shouldn't have left the bag there because now it has gone to Phnom Penh airport and it was my fault! She just shrugged her shoulders and said she couldn't do anything about it. It wasnt her problem she kept saying. After me losing my temper and actually realising that this was reality that she had actually put my all my luggage on another bus with other tourists when I asked her to mind it, then the "I no understand" crap started and we got no where with her. She couldn't care less.

We had to expend more money, change our plans and go searching for my bag at Phnom Penh airport in the middle of the night by the time we got there.

Many thanks to the staff at Ana travel agency in sihanoukville who helped call the airport and organise another bus and taxi to meet our connecting bus to Ho Chi Minh. It wasn't the first time they had heard a story like ours about the mien mien manager. They even rang her at the time we were there in their offices to try get some info from her in Cambodian as she suddenly knew no English with us and she was just as rude and unhelpful to them. They just put down the phone and said to us "that lady is crazy !"

Avoid if you can...

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Laurenradford84

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Upon arriving into Sihanoukville, my significant other and I embarked on a search for accommodations - not realising that it was Chinese New Year and EVERYTHING was booked up. So, after enquiring at a few establishments that I had reviewed and been recommended, I settled just for anyone that could put us up for the night.. and that's how we ended up at Mien Mien.
We asked to see the room before agreeing to stay, which the Cambodian female manager agreed to. At first inspection, they seemed sub-standard - concrete floors and walls shoddily constructed and with holes, mozzie net with holes, a dank stench coming from the bathroom, and rips in the sheets. But hey, we were desperate. Despite the rather expensive price tag for such accommodations ($20/night), we agreed to stay for an evening. We drop our bags and realise there are no towels, toilet paper, soaps, or even pillow covers. To the credit of the manager, they brought us all of these things within the first few hours of arriving, but not without having to ask twice. And of course, no hot water.
I won't complain about the bugs in the room, as that had nothing to do with the cleanliness of the room. We were blissfully free of bedbugs, and everything else we encountered was to be expected in a beach-side bungalow - including the ants and the spider as big as my hand sitting atop the toilet in the morning. As an avid backpacker, I knew that this was to be expected in SE Asia. But what did upset me was coming home and finding that a $100 bill had been stolen from my belongings. Now, I realise it probably wasn't the smartest thing to leave it in my room, but considering I was only out for perhaps a little more than an hour for dinner, I didn't consider it an issue.. the culprit also took the liberty of stealing my bra from my backpack. Really?! I mean.. REALLY?! Ugh.
When we mentioned that we had missing belongings, the owner didn't seem at all surprised, although he did apologise. Lots of good that did me.

Overall, the room was mediocre at best, the service was average, and the staff untrustworthy. It'll do in a pinch, but be forewarned - this is not a place where you will rest easy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Helsinki
Reviewed February 11, 2013

As for all the comments here about the staff: they are, unfortunately, quite true. But it didn't really bother us, since we didn't have much to do with them except to buy some water, check in and check out. Cheery customer service isn't something we really expected from Cambodia anyway, but most of the cases we have been pleasantly surprised - this just wasn't one of those times.

Stayed for three nights and it was perfectly adequate, 20$ for an ensuite bungalow 10m from the ocean is not a bad deal. Bed was nice, mosquito net was good and bathroom and the room were clean - they were not cleaned during our stay, so if you're planning to stay a long time, then maybe change places at some point, I doubt they're overly eager to comply to your cleaning demands. ;) We only ate here one time and that was ok, but we pretty much avoided it on purpose since there were so many good options on Otres.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosettaxv
vancouver
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We arrived and checked in but were told the next morning we had to leave after letting them know one of our dishes tasted strange. She was very rude and made us feel very uncomfortable. This is the second place that treated us poorly since we arrived. The first was the owners girlfriend at Moorea Beach. We had reserved there but when arrived said they over booked and sent us to Mien Mien. Do they not realize the tourists are here helping their economy and livelyhood. Tons of flys as well. Not a well kept accommodation. We are heading back to Thailand where they appreciate and understand the true meaning of customer service.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Not bad at all here. I can imagine the reviews below as the lady on reception is a bit frank but this is Cambodia I'm afraid. You cannot expect customer service in cheap places. Room was clean and mozzie net good. No hot water though. 20$ a night over Xmas but we were happy as everywhere else was full. Other customers seemed happy.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Fully7
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at Otres hoping to stay elsewhere but the other accom was booked out. On arrival the young lady on reception made us wait while she straightened her hair and was on the phone. After about 10 mins we were shown the room at $25 you pay for the aircon and location. Early one morning a young Cambodian man walked in on me half naked without knocking.... Awkward. There was lots of rat poo in our bathroom each morning which was a bit yuck and they dont clean the room during your stay. Served a purpose we slept there and went to the beach all day. When asking about service I had a little chuckle... There was none. Otres is a lovely escape but perhaps have a look around for bette accom.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here three times now, twice in the bungalows on the beach, they were a bit shabby but renovations were underway as it was low season, they also have rooms across the road which are really nice and clean and we found the food and services so happy and friendly, my fiancee became unwell and the owner gave her a free massage/tea/balm (i wouldn't expect this type of treatment during high season but you never know) i highly recommend this place even if its just to pop in for some food, lovely!

• Stayed October 2012