“The perfect place to stay in Sihanoukville”
Review of The Small Hotel

The Small Hotel
Ranked #11 of 237 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The small hotel is the perfect place to stay in Sihanoukville for the type of traveller who wants to explore everything the town has to offer while staying away from the 20-year-old sleaze that may be inhabiting the beach area during your stay. My girlfriend and I planned on staying at Heinrich's establishment downtown for three days, but ended up staying for six. Apart from the outstanding food available at The Small Hotel (I would totally recommend trying the Swedish meatballs or the excellent Khmer selections), they also offer a free tuk tuk service to a (semi) private beach at their beach bar away from the hawkers at Serendipity Beach.

Heinrich's staff will really make you feel at home, especially Rita with whom we enjoyed great conversations about Cambodian life.

I couldn't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: Eating at The Small Hotel may be more expensive than some places around town, but the food and the a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam F

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked at The Small Hotel based on reviews on TA and the Lonely Planet. Was looking for somewhere at a good price, location and not a backpacker den. All my enquiries were by email, very quick to respond. Henrik and Mom (Owners) must be proud of their staff's efficiency, helpfulness and friendliness - it makes a holiday so much more enjoyable. My room was always clean every afternoon when I returned and the staff can help with onward travel bookings or suggestions on what to do in Sihanouk Ville. The hotel has their own beach at Independent Beach, but I ran out of time to go there but I wish I did - less crowded and more relaxed than Serendipity. There is a good selection of Western, Swedish and Khmer food on their menu with food/drink available from 7am-10pm. Hotel is located in downtown Sihanouk Ville, far enough away from the hustle of the beach but close enough to leisurely walk down there (20-30mins), or a moto is anywhere from US$0.5-1.50. Would I stay again - definitely would, am already booked in for a night on my return loop from Kampot.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of here around an hour ago. If staying in Sihanoukville then this is the place to be. Rooms good size and extremely clean (cleaned everyday, fresh towels etc), the staff are the nicest we've met since being on our travels. The food is gorgeous we ate at least one meal a day there everyday! Meatballs, Swedish hash and my boyfriend was addicted to the burger and chips!! Khmer food is lovely too! We've had a fantastic stay here and have lots of memories to take away with us. Small hotel is definitely the place to be!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were originally booked in for 2 nights but ended up extending to 5 as we liked it here so much!
We arrived at 7 in the morning after an extremely uncomfortable journey on the night bus from Siem Reap, and felt exhausted and filthy! The double room we had booked wasn't going to be ready until after 12 noon and we weren't really up for hanging around for 5 hours, but they said they had a twin room we could have for the first night. We had a look at the twin room and each of the single beds were huge, big enough for 2 people so we decided to take it and we really liked this room and ended up keeping it for the whole stay. The bed was comfy, wifi worked great, as did the aircon and cable tv! And they had a huge stash of books and movies downstairs so we were very happy. It rained a lot whilst we were there so it was nice
to have lots to keep us entertained whilst stuck indoors!
We ate at the hotel one night and the Swedish meatballs were very tasty! We also had cocktails there most nights which were lovely and well presented. The big breakfast is expensive but huge and delicious so we couldn't resist it! It is based away from all the action and beaches, but we hired a scooter and its a 10 minute ride to the nearest beach and to the main backpacker area so it was not a problem for us. It was quite nice being away from the main drag as it was abit tacky around there!
The staff were all absolutely lovely and we felt very welcome at the small hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The pro's

Free pickup from the bus station
Nice looking hotel
Big room with nice new painted walls
Everything In the room is working OK ( fan,airco,fridge)
Big ( for a hotel) flat screen
Very clean
Excellent staff very helpful and fiendly

The con's

No IKEA stuff! Just joking because sweden :)

This hotel is very nice I travel now 4 months and this hotel is in the top 3!
The staff is great, its really clean, and the room is very good, the also sell nice cold beer so wat you need more

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great staff. We called them before we were on our way and they offered to pick us up from the bus station. When we arrived, they were very friendly and accommodating and speak English very well. The room was really nice. It was clean, spacious and even had a DVD player. The WiFi was very good. It is not terribly close to the beaches, but the staff will help to arrange a tuk tuk.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We splurged a little for our stay here and I'm really glad we did as it rained the majority of the time we were in Sihanoukville and I'm not sure a bungalow on the beach would have been much fun :)

The staff were super friendly, the room was lovely and big, loads of English stations, even football for my sport crazy bf and the wifi was excellent. The room was cleaned everyday, there are plenty of books and movies in the main area to keep you occupied while it pours down and if you are lucky enough to get a sunny day (which we did yay) they have a free tuk tuk to Independence beach which is sooooooooooo pretty. That was probably my favourite day!

We also ate here a number of times over our 5 days and I have to say the food was delicious!

The location of the hotel was not the best - its in the downtown area which though sounds like it should be the main area, is not and to get down towards most of the bars and restaurants is about 5-10 mins in a tuk tuk or 30 min walk. In saying that there are a few places to eat nearby so you wont be stuck for good food :)

The other thing I found a bit of a bummer was the cost of some of the food on their menu, I just found it to be a little high especially the big breakfast which everyone raves about but at 6.75USD it was the most expensive thing on the menu and for me just a little too much. It did look amazing though! At their restaurant on the beach, everything is about a dollar cheaper but Im guessing thats because of the competition around them so perhaps if you are on a budget wait until you get there. The food is really delicious!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple