“Such a fun, welcoming staff! Can't fault the Small Hotel.”
Review of The Small Hotel

The Small Hotel
Ranked #9 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Such a fun, welcoming staff! Can't fault the Small Hotel.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The minute we arrived someone came out to greet us, and it was like this the two nights we stayed. The staff were easy to talk to, enjoyed a laugh with us and were very helpful in organising tickets etc. The rooms are comfy with fan and air con and its only a 10 minute walk to the Big Market. A great menu - something for everyone. Would enjoy staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here for a week and I felt very much at home. Unfortunately I fell ill halfway my stay so I didn´t go much into town except for the market but I did not mind spending most of my time at the Small Hotel itself. It has a good collection of books and I had a very good room (nr 3), quite large and very clean, huge tv (very nice when you're sick), an AC, a working desk and a fridge. the bed was very comfy. I also spent a day at the Small Beach, which was very relaxing as expected, food and service was good too. Only thing I did not like at the beach was the fact that hardly had I sat down or women came and sat right next to me trying to give me a massage or a manicure or whatever else I absolutely had no wish for. It took hours for them to finally leave me at peace. But it's a really beautiful spot and the free rides to and from the hotel are a bonus.

Room Tip: I loved my room no 3, but there's no view. So if you like a nice view you should choose another...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We'd only planned to stay 1 night but the staff were so helpful. They organized our trip to Koh Rong Samloem. We were really happy to stay on our return. The staff are so caring and helpful. The food is delicious. We stayed extra nights. Good value and highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bronwyn S
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Arriving from Phnom Penh I was picked up by a tuk tuk from the bus station, sent by The Small Hotel, free of charge. I stayed there for seven nights and didn't feel like going anywhere else, except the wonderful Infinity Beach. The transfer from the Hotel to the Small Beach Bar is free of charge and at the beach the same good service is available as in The Small Hotel itself, food and cocktails inclusive. Free towels are provided, and approx. 15 m away there is a toilette and a shower. Free WiFi is granted at the beach as well and I got power for my net-book. The food is so good, that I didn't eat anywhere else one week long as I wanted to try everything on the menu. Khmer and Swedish specialties are offered as the owner Henrik is from Sweden and his lovely wife Mom (who is both engine and heart of this business), is Khmer. Upon my request I got a nice ship excursion organised and just before departure I realized that I lost my hat. Mom got one for me as a gift! One night I asked for a snack, not being aware of it, that the kitchen was already closed. Still, I got freshly made french fries. My room had both fan and air-condition and the bed was comfortable. The room was cleaned every day. The lobby is like a living room with a library. Opposite of it are the tables of the restaurant. The bar and the reception is at one counter. Everything cozy and practical. In the front yard there are tables to eat or work. I paid $ 15.-/night but I got far more value. I warmly recommend The Small Hotel to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth E
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I I intended to stay here , four years ago , but couldn't find this hotel. I should have jumped on a tuk tuk; or motorbike taxi!. I checked in, expecting to pay about us 25 / 30 dollars for a hotel of this quality. When I was quoted 20 us for a stay of 3 nights or more; I a almost felt guilty paying so little for such a quality Budget hotel.I ate here every meal of the day for my 5 days of my stay!, including the 2 lunches at their beach shack. The food is unbeatable. Every one of the staff are naturally very friendly. Especially the Vietnamese Bar attendant + theCambodian girl ; who manages the beach bar. I never asked their names!. Because of the obvious good value of holidays in nearly all of Seasia; I tip almost everyone who is genuine and pleasant especially considering the low wages + long hours these people have to endure.Being the off peak season I found the bar scene here;"at this guesthouse , "a little quiet, on most nights; so I went for a beer @ the day mate aussie bar in downtown snookville. Mick runs a great bar ; he's also good for some local knowledge;" having worked and lived here for 10 yrs.I", was recommended the small hotel, by 2 tuk tuk drivers from Phnom Penh; located down the road from the Asia hotel ; 4 yrs ago!. IIm so thankful.These 2 drivers are definitely worth booking for a tour or to have a beer with ;" after a hot day in the sun . They are 2 trustworthy Khmer ; their located outside the corner restaurant before crossing the road 2 the CTRmmarkets. Their names are Mr Hour and Mr Sophat.Having so few rooms ; I would recommended booking this hotel in advance ; during the busy season!.

• Stayed May 2013
Hsipaw, Myanmar
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We received the most friendly welcome to the Small Hotel by the owner after traveling over 14 hours from Siem Reap. We arrived with no reservation, late at night, and hungry - and even though everyone had already gone to bed, the owner went out of her way to make us a very nice dinner. Rarely during our travels have we received such a heartfelt and kind welcoming.

The hotel is located in the town center near the bus stations and banks. Thus for those just passing through Sihanoukville (like us), this is the perfect place to spend the night.

Amazingly, we had no intention of spending more than one night here, but the relaxing atmosphere of the library and dinning room, the super comfy rooms (complete with A/C, Internet, cable and more!), the close proximity to the beaches (only 5 minutes by moped), and the incredibly friendly staff kept us here a second night.

The price ($16 to $18 per night for a double room) is more than appropriate considering everything you get at this delightful guest house.

For those who crave the beaches, they have a free shuttle service and they can also arrange mopeds ($5 per day for a manual, $6 for automatic).

When we return to this town, this will certainly be the only place where we will stay!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sabie, South Africa
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before and after a trip to Koh Rong. It was clean and comfortable with basic rooms. The restaurant serves tasty food and great cocktails. Staff are friendly and helpful. It is situated in a quieter that is an easy 20 minute walk or short tuk tuk ride to Serendipity Beach Road. It is also close to all the bus company offices. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple