“Friendly and helpful staff”

Purple Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 343 Restaurants in Sihanoukville
Cuisines: Bar, American, Seafood, European, Pub, Cambodian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Friendly and helpful staff”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We ate at a few of the restaurants along the beach and this was one of the best. All have great views and tables overlooking the sea but the food and service in this one was better than most. We were tempted in by the food - it had a wider range than some of the others and found the service to be excellent and our waiter very helpful.

• Visited August 2013

Bangkok, Thailand
“Ice cold beer”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lars from Sweden is a likeable friendly guy that runs this bar. He serves ice cold beer because he places his mugs in the freezer before poring draft beer into them, which gives the beer that nice icey feel. You get a fresh mug each time you order a beer. The Purple bar also has a nice menu to choose from and a delicious seafood and meat BBQ every evening. Pop in and say hi.

Visited July 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
“All fairly average”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Much the same as most of the beach bars, where the food is never great. But heh, relaxing on the beach with some decent drinks is a great way to pass the afternoon. Once in the loungers it is very difficult to get the attention of any of the staff, and the snacks we had took forever to arrive. So yes, an ok place to while away some time, but look elsewhere for decent dining.

• Visited June 2013
Kailua, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great surprise!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Sat on the beach loungers under the umbrellas in front of this restaurant by chance. I expected to have to haggle over the fee for sitting there because usually that's the case. We were told that we could sit there all morning for one dollar each and that if we ate lunch there the fee would be waived.
The four of us ordered lunch several hours later. Everyone was happy with their meals... except for me. I had ordered pork ribs and thought they were delicious thought maybe they were a little off.. I can't say for sure but I am very careful about taking chances with food I have any question about. I sent it back with no expectation of having it removed from the check (this is asia). I shared some of my wife's barbecue shrimp and was happy enough. Apparently the owner saw the plate come back full and came out immediately to find out what the problem was and was very gracious, removed it from the check and wished us the best on the remainder of our time in Sihanouk.
The next morning my daughter really wanted to hit the beach one more time before our 2pm bus back to Phnom Penh. We didn't hesitate to go back to the Purple Bar and had our final meal in Sihanouk there. This time we were all very happy with our meals. I had a bacon cheeseburger knowing how tough and dry (devoid of fat) cambodian beef is, this was taking a bit of a chance that I would be disappointed. I have to say that having lived in Cambodia for almost two years that it was definitely the best i've had in all that time. The cheese, bacon and mayo along with the lettuce tomato and onion really saved the beef and the bun was fresh and delicious. It also came with some battered french fries that I didn't want to eat but were so good. After trying one, my daughter helped save me from myself.
I will definitely be back on my next beach weekend. I will look forward to the Swedish meatballs and maybe even fish and chips... fresh fish is the thing I am fussiest about, but I think I would take the chance there.
By the way the staff was delightful, and in spite of the language barriers did their best to make sure we were well taken care of. At just over $15. for four including several bottles of water over the course of our time at the beach, a great value.

• Visited June 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Excellent shakes with Baileys!!!!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Was recommended by a friend and they make amazing milkshakes and fruit shakes with a shot of baileys in them. Absolutely excellent - and only 3$.

Visited February 2013