“No idea how to rate this .. Terrible and ok”
Review of Utopia Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
Utopia Guest House
Ranked #157 of 242 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

If you are looking for 1-2 dollar dorm bed then look no further, I really loved the poster above the reception- complaint department closed ;). If you have more money than 2 dollars and actually are more hungry for sleep then booze then maybe walk away.. and don't look back! Interesting experience though. Good atmosphere at the bar, staff friendly and actually helpful but cockroaches and rats are not. neither are couples slapping each other in your dorm at 4am and shared toilets that do not flush... However, if you want to party, don't mind cringing smells and can sleep like a log, why not?!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Yura1

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews for Utopia. It definitely is a little more party-centric than most places I've stayed but it was definitely not "horrible". It is cheap and I think all dorms, no private rooms. Sleeping pretty close together with strangers, some dorms have aircon at night ($2.50 USD). Everyone I met there was really nice, staff was friendly, and the environment felt very safe even though a lot of people were partying pretty hard. Good location for seeing the neighborhood and also close to bars (obvious).

Room Tip: Dorm A has a/c for $2.50 a night. I heard the rooms with fan only were too hot for comfortable sleep...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2013

many people seem to complain, they should get their rooms another place and pay for their wishes. what do they expect for 1$ per night? I met many nice people there and stayed 2 months. organisation especially of reception is poor, but like I said before. a real backpacker can sleep anywhere and if you are a snobby tourist: go somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Myself and my friend came to stay here and we immediately thought this place was great. Bar, pool, pool tables, resteraunts all in the facility and one dollar per night.

I am never one to ever write on trip advisor mainly as I am out living my life but was very downhearted after reading the reviews. Yes, it isn't the ritz, it may be a bit wild with a few stoners lurking about but its travelling and a hell of a lot of fun right near the heart of it.

We would recommend it whole heartedly and many of our friends came to join us and the fun.

We all left something of ourselves in sihanoukville and all plan to go back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Absolutely vile in so many respects. The worst hostel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are cramped and dirty. You are given a padlock for a wooden locker and the same key opens numerous lockers. The staff are some of the most disgusting humans I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Not helpful in any respect and openly rude to customers. Do not stay here. It's cheap and you DEFINITELY get what you pay for i.e. f*** all.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank MegO89
Reviewed March 31, 2013

So we checked in here after 7 weeks of backpacking , we have stayed in our fair share of guesthouses... This was by far the worst. The guy at reception is a complete stoner , he's rude and I even witnessed him assaulting a guest , the guest was then slapped around by the security guard and escorted off , from what I had seen he did very little to warrant this and he was very shook up.
I paid $3 for VIP dorm - the aircon that we were suppose to have didn't work, when I asked why... the stoner guy told me nothing he could do. The fan in the beds next to me didn't work either as there was no plug socket... Again he didn't care .
I then came to open my locker to find the padlocks had been swapped so I couldn't get to my things ... Apparently because I missed one day payment, but there were several people there who this didn't happen to and I was never told this on check in... Worrying that they could of stolen my belongings very easily . I then booked a boat for 8am the next day, when I came to check out no one was there , even after being promised the night before someone would be on reception from 6am...I had to search for about 40 minutes for someone to be told that the person with the key was asleep and I would have to wait , so no way of getting my $5 deposit back unless I wanted to miss my boat !???
And then to top it off.. BED BUGS!!!!!! Me and several people are covered !
Stay away..!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Laul_88
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was a bit confused when I logged into this and saw mostly bad reviews. I stayed here for nearly 2 months and loved every minute of it. I realise now that the folk on here complaining aren't genuine backpackers rather 2 week tourists passing thru that shouldn't have bothered leaving the comfort of the western world. Some cats ain't cut out for life on the road never mind the 3rd world. I have never written a review on trip advisor before because like most people I have better things to be doing with my time but felt compelled to do so after reading the negative, unjust spin portrayed by poshlobster (name says it all really) and the likes.
Utopia is the cheapest backpackers in Sihanoukville. There are 5 or 6 restaurants that offer a diverse variety of foods that again is the best value for money you will find in this town. You will not find a cheaper bar makes it 3 for 3. The entertainment in the evening at the bar is quality. Thyme nights, fireshows, drinking games etc. The common area is amazing, no other backpackers in Snooky even comes close. There is a sweet pool (again only backpackers with a pool), a gym, a huge outdoor area that is beautifully landscaped offering plenty of shade from the harsh mid day sun. This backpackers (biggest and oldest in town) has about 150 beds bringing together generally a great bunch of people from all around the world. The atmosphere is very friendly, a great place for independent travellers to meet fellow backpackers, exchange tales & make new friends. I got to know some of the staff quite well, most of the westerners work for free digs, food and a few free beers. They were generally very friendly and helpful particularly when you take into account the modest rewards they receive for their efforts. These folk are genuine backpackers that are happy to embrace the Cambodian lifestyle and work just to keep their costs down. The Kymer staff like the Kymer people in general are beautiful people. I would say that about 99% of people that stay here have a great time and love the place, many like me stay for quite a long time, the dorms are basic but adequate, Snooky is a party town, normal folk don't come here to lie in bed all day so they are usually practically empty and it is easy and comfortable to get some sleep when you need to, there are at least 6 bathrooms so its never much of a hassle to find a bathroom/shower. Hats off to the guys that opened this place, Sihanoukville could have been developed into a Cambodian Pattaya but the local population are far better off making an income off backpackers rather than Pattaya sorts. Anyhow that will do from me, thanks to all at Utopia 'ive checked out but i left a wee bit of my heart behind'.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo