“You get what you pay for”
Review of Utopia Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
Utopia Guest House
Ranked #156 of 242 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed one night in a $2 room with a fan after coming from Koh Rung Island, just needed somewhere to leave my stuff and nap before the bus back to Phnom Penh in the morning.

Made my bed with sheets, which was basically a gym mat on a 2 level wooden bed frame with about 20 other gym mats and some lockers.

You can hear the partying noise from the room, but it was actually quite comfortable as there were only about 3 others sleeping in the dorm during the night and the background noise was drowned out by the fan.

I don't even know what the bathrooms looked like as I didn't use them, and I wasn't game enough to use them after seeing all the feral travellers getting wasted at the bar and acting disgraceful. Checked out in the morning and got out of there, never intending to go back.

If you need a place to crash for one night, its perfectly cheap, but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 10, 2012

So after a long journey we arrived at Utopia. From the outside it appeared quite a cool place to stay... How wrong we were! This place is deceptive, the bar area is quite cool but as you enter the doarms it's a completely different story. Firstly you are met by rude staff who make you feel like they are doing you a favour. To get to our doarm we had to get through a doarm where people were sleeping and literally squeeze our way through with our backpacks to our room. We were greeted by what can only be described as the smell of feet. Bed sheets were then thrown at us and we were expected to fit them onto thin rubber 'matrasses'. On entering the bathroom a distinctive smell of damp and mould wafted through the air, there were also the memories of the last persons visit as underwear hung over the shower rail, indicating that this place had not been cleaned in a VERY long time! Whilst enduring a freezing cold shower there was the constant sound of a cat screeching, it sounded like it was coming from the bathroom but surely even a cat wouldn't make Utopia it's choice of home?? On closer inspection we discovered that in fact yes there really was a cat living in the cupboard of the bathroom!!! We took the kitten down in fear it was trapped and we approached a member of staff who took the kitten from us and through the kitten back in the cupboard and told us to keep the door shut!! The bedroom situation did not get much better, again there were the remains if precious guests' clothing sprawled across chairs and the floor. Sleeping was virtually impossible due to mosquitoes attacking and the uncomfortable matrass, if this wasn't bad enough the blaring music and sound of two people fighting were sure to keep us awake. In the light of day it didn't get much better as we woke to depressing blue walls but was brightened up by the splatters of vomit on the wall. Needless to say we checked out immediately and on doing so were then told that we needed to return to the doarm and strip the sheets (confirming our suspicion that staff never enter to clean the rooms!!) causing me to question what all those members of staff do during the day?! Without any difficulty we were able to find cheaper accomodation of a much higher standard. Utopia should adopt the more fitting name Distopia!!

• Stayed: October 2012
7  Thank Anom123
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I am traveling with very tight budget. Like seriously tight after being pick-pocketed twice and credit card got blocked and my debit card ain't working for number of unknown times. Urghhh... so I have no other option other than being a cheapskate and stay here @ Utopia.

The good thing about this place is it is a pretty chill out place and good for socializing with other like-minded backpackers, which is absolutely great. They have swimming pool and also hot tub which look gross during day time but somehow I still jumped in in the middle of the night when I'm drunk, with other backpackers. Hahahaha! The foodcourt is OK with few choices - The Indian restaurant serves pretty cheap yet delicious meals. I like their Rawa Masala Dosa so much :) a good cold-beer companion! The pizza also pretty good, made by this French guy who works there. The noodles/rice stall which serves a dollar meals and 50cents iced coffee with condense milk. ...And my dorm-mates are like one big family to me!

On the bad notes, which the management need to do something about it is...

Dorm/Room (and bathroom + toilet):-
1) Re-paint all the dorms/rooms/bathrooms/toilets to brighter colors
2) Spray all the dorms with air fresheners every now and then
3) Get rid of nasty bed bugs in certain rooms/beds (B dorm is the bugs heaven! D dorm is OK)
4) Clean the bathrooms/toilets regularly
5) Provide hooks or hanging wires for us hang our towels, wet clothes, etc inside/outside dorms/rooms
6) Close/lock the connector door of the $2 party dorm maybe between 8pm-8am so no strangers other than people who staying in that dorm can come in and out and lessen the risks of customer(s) losing their belongings

DJ/Music:-
1) Get a proper DJ that will play proper songs
2) Set up certain music selection for certain nights i.e. Progressive House + Electro every Saturday night, Mumbo Jumbo (playing retro songs) every Wednesday night
3) Tell that Jamaican guy (the so-called Manager/Staffs Coordinator) to shut up while the DJ spin the music, his voice is annoying, not even talented. Tell him, he is not a DJ, not a rapper, not a singer!

Staffs:-
1) Make sure they practice a proper work ethics i.e do not get drunk (due to alcohol) or high (due to any sort of drugs or weed or laughing gas) while at work/serving the customers doesn't matter behind the bar or reception or anywhere
2) Make sure there is a wall between the staffs and customers i.e not sleeping (or offer to sleep) with a customers within the compound of Utopia. If they must to flirt with each other, ask them to do it in another hostel/guesthouse.

I AM NOT HAPPY FOR BEING HARASSED THIS WAY BY ONE OF YOUR STAFF (he offered himself to sleep and hug me on my 2nd night here!), which is not an ordinary staff but A MANAGER/STAFFS CO-ORDINATOR (self-claimed, maybe?) and this force me to change to another dorm. UNFORTUNATELY, not me alone experienced this but I heard the same thing from other female backpackers which is absolutely gonna TARNISH YOUR IMAGE AS THE MOST POPULAR BACKPACKERS SPOT in Sihnoukville.

Room Tip: Stay here if you really don't have or running out of budget like myself or stay somewhere else b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank AsianEDM
John H, Owner at Utopia Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

As they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Although you defiantly had the need to work, we could not offer you employment. Every year we have hundreds of vibrant and enthusiastic travellers help out in many different areas, despite this we did not have a position for you. The things you complain of kept you here for more than a week? Maybe it was the wonderful social atmosphere that kept you here wanting to work. You were in the $1 party dorm, it’s not the quietest dorm with all amenities but it is $1!!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Ut is a bar and music cub with dorms, so there is music going until the early hours of the morning! The staff are all really friendly and fairly crazy! There are little food places all around the bar area and the food is all really tasty and good prices! There is a free swimming pool and a hot tub that you can use 24/7 and the bar is also 24/7! There is a free pool table! Its about 2 minutes walk from the beach and has two mini marts across the road! I would definitly come back stay here and have fun!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in the $2 air con "party" dorm in July 2012, I wouldn't have picked anywhere else to stay, I loved it!! There are lockers to put away your things and a laundry service for 50cents. It may have been noisy outside but from staying in the large dorm at the front it was completely fine! Everyone in my dorm was really nice and no one made noise at night. Utopia is always popular but I haven't experienced it completely packed.

Was really good to stay somewhere cheaper after Siem Riep and the Happy Hour beers are just 25cents!! The owners are actually really safe!! And was given the chance to work and stay for free! Definitely recommend staying here if you're someone who enjoys meeting other like-minded backpackers!

There's a waterfall about an hour moped ride away which attracts the locals and is worth a visit, saw some Cambodian villages and some great views!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived in Sihanoukville after a long journey from siem reap tired and wanting a nice warm welcome which is exactly what we got at Utopia, we arrived and were immediately greeted by friendly staff who showed us to reception and asked us how our journey had been. We were then shown each different dorm (prices from $1 to $2.50) and decided to go for the cheapest option which was standard but perfectly acceptable for a dollar! All rooms have safe boxes and you are provided with a key if you need it for a $5 deposit (Utopia in general is very safe and we did not have to worry) That evening we went to the bar and had some 25 cent beers, moving onto $1 redbulls and eventually ending up in the hot tub and pool getting to know the other travellers staying in sihanoukville. Not only are the drinks crazily cheap but they had a range of food from indian to fish and chips and noodles and rice - all very good and very cheap!! We indulged in the $2 cooked breakfast every morning! The location is great as well, a 5 minute walk down to the beach and on the main serendipity road with places to shop and eat. Overall Utopia is a great place to stay and was our highlight of Cambodia. We ended up working there and staying for a week! They are always looking for enthusiastic western bar staff and promoters and treat you very well with your own staff room with a/c and TV and free laundry, drinks and meals. GET TO UTOPIA!! You will never want to leave!!!

Room Tip: opt for the $2.50 rooms if you want the room to be cool at night
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Eleanor P
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed at Utopia in July 2012, for a week, apparently Low Season as there were not these crazy 24/7 parties I've read about before. It is the cheapest option to stay in Sihanoukville (between 1 USD and 2,5USD). The staff is super friendly and funny and it's (in my opinion) the best place to meet people.Happy Hours are great. When I stayed there everything was quiet after 1 am, so don't worry about not being able to sleep (in LOW SEASON). I enjoyed my stay a lot, spend 8 nights instead of 4. I would recommend it to anyone at this time of the year. I can't really say anything about High season, though.
Oh yeah and the food around there at the *food court* is really good and cheap aswell (starting from a dollar for fried rice).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo