“worst place in Sihanoukville”
Review of Ocean Walk Inn

Ocean Walk Inn
Ocean Walk Inn
Ranked #157 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Casino, Australia
“worst place in Sihanoukville”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

much better places for the same price or less everywhere. my day started by the room having been forgotten to be cleaned by their standard anyway. by that i mean the whole place if filthy and run down. on the websites the place looks like pretty good value for money but believe me it is very poor. my refrigerator did not work and they made no effort to fix it once it became a problem, no fan working holes in my sheets and not a drop of water in the shower. i had booked and paid for an a/c room with hot water shower fridge wi fi etc of which only the a/c worked and no one cares, they were full but i bet next time they are not many reviews slam this place justifiably so.

Room Tip: go somewhere else just next door or across the road is better and same price
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Pros: decent location, huge room (although high ceilings were a bit spooky)
Cons: dirty towels (they smelt damp and unclean, not sure if they were even fresh - mine had mascara stains on it!). Only one bed had a sheet on & there was a hole in the bathroom ceiling ,which didn't feel very secure. There was also a power cut when we were there (ok, Cambodia has power cuts, but some places switch the generator on straight away to deal with this but this hotel waited a good few hours before they switched theirs on, meaning we had to pack up in the dark).
The worst part for us though: The wifi didn't work in the room, only in the reception, which wasn't a problem, except they turned the internet off at 10pm, which was extremely frustrating as it was my mum's birthday and I really wanted to skype her. When we told the staff this and asked them to turn it back on, they told us they couldn't because the router might burn during the night. We offered to turn it off after we used it but they said no. They told us to go to the bar across the road and use theirs,
We went back upstairs to get our money to buy drinks at the bar, came back down and the staff had closed the shutters on all of the doors, effectively locking us in the hotel! There was a button saying 'press for security guard to open door' but we pressed this several times and waited and the door was never opened. We had to knock on a girl's door who was in her room watching TV (part of the family who live there?) and she let us out the back door. We had to walk down a dodgy dark alley, around the back and loop back round to the main street to reach the bar opposite. When we had finished at the bar using the internet (midnight), we went around the back of the hotel to get back in and it was locked and we couldn't get in! We knocked and shouted through the door, and the girl who had let us out was sat there in the dark just ignoring us! In the end I shouted 'hello!' and she finally let us in.
We checked out the next day because it wasn't worth the price (no internet, dirty towels, creepy atmosphere). We found a much nicer place on the same road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Ocean Walk Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Customer,

I would like go into further details on one or two of the points you raised.

The point that is most upsetting from our point of view is you state “There was also a power cut when we were there, some places switch the generator on straight away to deal with this but this hotel waited a good few hours before they switched theirs on, meaning we had to pack up in the dark).”
I would like to inform you that the night you stayed with us we actually had a power cut from 5pm the previous night, all the way to 11am the next morning, meaning an 18 hour power cut, we had the generator on all night for your benefit, and had to turn it off at 8:30am the next morning, after having being on for over 15 hours.
Our generator as you will now be aware powers everything including the A/C, that night we spent over $120 on diesel, and turned the generator off after over 15 hours to let it cool down for a couple of hours. I really feel this is a very unfair comment as that night the room rates people paid nowhere near covered the cost of powering the generator.
We are one of only a hand full of guest houses in Sihanoukville who will provide power during the entire night.

After checking the CCTV, I see where you asked for the WIFI to be turned back on, I would like to point out this was considerable later than the 10pm you state in your review.
We do turn WIFI off at this time of year when the bar closes, as storms can destroy the wireless router beyond repair, unfortunately this had happened just two nights previously, and wiped out a $120 router. The member of staff you spoke to admittedly should have turned it back on for you and informed our security guard to turn it off when you had finished, we now have a procedure in place for future requests.

Upon the bar closing we do close the front doors and lock them for guest and property security, we do however have a security guard outside at all times, as you state in your review. We have a system in place where customers press a button and the guard opens the doors. Again I looked at this on CCTV and at the time you attempted to exit the hotel he had actually just popped to the bathroom, and was a further 2 and a half minutes, again after you raised this point in your review we have now implemented a system for this situation.
The fact you then go on to say you had to walk down a dodgy dark alley is totally fabricated I’m afraid, we do have a small passage at the side of the hotel, which is no more than a 8/9 pace walk, and is well lit, looking at the CCTV again upon your return to the hotel you walked straight past the front door, and our security guard, who if you would have asked would have let you into the hotel, that’s his job.

We always ask that any complaints or comments are made to management at the time, as we can then deal with them, and correct the situation there and then, this way it helps us improve our customer service and guest experience.

We are always looking for ways to improve, and will never stop.

Travelers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Sydney
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Best chips I’ve had in a long time actually. The Ocean Walk INN is run by Mathew, a true Northern Englishman, his Cambodian wife Chen and a bunch of happy staff. It has very clean accommodation with TV, A/C or fan at competitive prices. Just up the hill from the beach (where the boats leave from) this is a great place to book a trip to the islands. They can book every other kind of trip (bus & taxi) too.

As an Englishman/Aussie the best thing is the food. Home cooked English breakfasts, pies, fish and chips, burgers, etc. It’s fun to eat at the outward facing bar which allows you to people watch as you eat, but the icing on the cake is the HP and lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce.

Their local food is also good, but the highlight is the chips. Not frozen but cut by hand from real potatoes. I know this shouldn’t be remarkable but it is.

I stayed for three weeks with never a cross word. The Ocean Walk Inn is an honest place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in our round the world trip and thought it was perfect for us. it was cheaper and much closer to the beach than a lot of the backpacker hostels, and the rooms were much much nicer. The rooms were clean and shared bathrooms weren't shared by too many. We had a room with shared and then an ensuite. The food was good and staff were friendly although the bar was a little quiet and it lacked the atmosphere of many sihanoukville places, but being so close to the beach we spent all of our time in the beach bars anyway.

Room Tip: The shared balcony upstairs is a nice little place to people watch and chill out
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Ocean Walk Inn is well situated close to Serendipity beach. The rooms are big, clean and comfortable.
There's not much ambience. Some noise going on in the evening.
I would not stay here again, mainly because I didn't have a private bathroom. But it is well priced, and fine for the one night stay I had.
There are many accommodation options in Sihanoukville and I think there are nicer places to stay.

www.mish.co.za

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Siem Reap
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I booked my room online, and when I arrived (two hours after my booked arrival time) I was told that my room was not ready. when I returned later, the new member of staff told me he could not find my booking and that I must be booked at another hotel. He was extremely unhelpful and unfriendly and completely disinterested in trying to solve the problem. Eventually he called his boss and was immediately told my room number. He also told me I could not check in without a passport, although this information was not provided upon booking. I was lucky that I had friends in the area to give me their passport details, or I would not have had nowhere to stay for the night. He did not show me my room or even tell me where it was, just handed me a key. The room was clean, but we were not given a pillow or towels, and the blanket provided was dirty. When we asked for pillows, the same member of staff told us he was busy.

The hotel itself is fine for the price, but the attitude of the staff really ruin the experience. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
mancunia
Reviewed December 10, 2011

very good budget guesthouse ($7 for a double room) in a great location for serendipity beach / the pier for the boats to the other islands. rooms were a really good size and very clean and matt and the staff were extremely helpful...a definate 'book'!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo