“Good room, noisy neighbours, bad service.”
Review of Beach Road Hotel

Beach Road Hotel
Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and it's nice enough but looks like a motel straight out of 50s America. The rooms are on 2 floors and surround a central swimming pool.

The service was pretty bad - unhelpful and unfriendly. Room was nice, clean, good bathroom, aircon and tv.

Was very noisy one night as it was full moon party. If you're looking for quiet try and avoid this night!

Overall it looked as though this was one of the better places in Sihanoukville but that's not really saying much.

If you end up in Sihanoukville, head for Otres beach - about 5km down the coast. It's a long bumpy ride down a dirt track but so worth it. This beach is long and golden with hardly any people on it. Sea is calm and the places to stay are cheap. Obviously as they are beach huts, they're not exactly luxury but a great chilled out beach.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 31, 2010

The hotel is a decent stay for sihanoukville, as accomodation is generally not of a good standard, the room was simple covered in cracks all over the walls! however air con was good, bed was ok, bathroom clean, biggest plus point is the pool, full of western men and expect to see the odd prostitute accompanying them....
bar at the hotel isnt bad and its close to all the other traveller bars.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed at the Beach Road Hotel this past weekend and had a very average experience with a couple of issues. First of all, the all male staff at the front desk are rude and unwelcoming. I booked a room poolside which was nicely decorated and clean for the most part. The bathroom has no ventilation and your towels never dry completely and end up smelling moldy after one use.

My biggest issue here was that after leaving my room in the morning and checking that the door was locked 3 times (by me and my boyfriend) we returned to our hotel room door unlocked and opened. We didn't put a "Please clean our room" sign so there is no reason anyone should have even gone into our room and even if they did, they should have at least locked it back! I went up to front desk to ask them nicely if they knew any reason why this happened (in Khmer, I speak the language fluently) and they were very nonchalant about it and blamed me for probably not locking my door when I left. I told them I locked it and checked it 3 times and they just said it was my fault or the door's fault (they think the door unlocked itself?!). Good news is that we don't think anything was taken from us, but that's mostly because we took all our valuables with us on our day trip. It was just frustrating to feel like your room was "broken into" and left open for a million mosquitoes and bugs to infest, and yet they didn't feel the need to show any concern or try to find out if anything was missing.

Then, when we checked out, we wanted to keep our things at the front desk while we wait 5 hours until our bus picked us up. My boyfriend asked if they could keep his bag (medium sized backpack) behind the counter with the other bags and the front desk guy told him to just leave in in the front of the counter (which is out of sight of the concierge and where anyone can walk buy and take it). After my boyfriend expressed this concern about leaving his bag there, the front desk guy told him he can do that or keep the bag with him. This I found ridiculous because there was plenty of room behind the front desk. I don't know if we just caught the staff on a bad weekend or because I speak the language I can understand their rudeness more.

Anyway, I would recommend this place if you care a lot about the nice and modern furniture. But if you really want to enjoy the beach and nicer Cambodian hospitality, I may suggest getting a bungalow right on the beach where you get an amazing view and the staff are friendlier. I didn't get to do this, but while I was out, I stumbled upon a bar of another guesthouse on the oceanfront and was treated very well even when I was not a guest. I will be recommending my friends to stay at one of those bungalows instead.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Reading the various reviews here on Tripadvisor, we where a bit aprehensive on what to expect, especially travelling with children. It was a really good experience though, they picked us up at the bus, and the restaurant is in the front, and the hotel in the back, very secluded, which gives a nice, private feeling. There's a big pool in the middle, which the kids loved, and the rooms are nice and big.
The noise from a nearby discoteque, yes we heard it vagely (and we where there for Christmas), but all the hotels you'll find when you search for hotels in Sihannoukville, at this beach, are placed just as close around the same discoteque, so it's either or.
Our only regret would be, that one evening when our daughter got sick on the floor, we could get no help in form of a bucket or something to wipe the floor with, so we could clean it up. Tomorrow, yes? No, we do not like to sleep in puke.
They do have free wifi, but it's very slow, and the connection often falls out.
A plus side is the next door cinema "Top Cat", where there is a daily movie schedule, plus opportunity for private lounges and videogames, Lot's of good movies to choose from, for both kids and adults.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed here for one night and thought it was decent place to stay for the price. The nicer double rooms by the pool with air-con was $25 and the room and bathroom was spacious. The pool was nice and the hotel was located next to many beach shops and restaurants. On the other hand, the door had some thin cracks in it (may explain the insects) and the room didn't come with breakfast, free wifi or water & glasses. Overall, not a bad place to stay for the price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights with friends, so there were 3 people in each family room. It was a bargain at only USD$15 per night each room and the pool was beautiful and clean. For the bargain price you don't get breakfast included but it's quite easy to get breakfast at nearby restaurants for about USD $3 per head.

The rooms were pleasant, the bed comfortable and the pillows fantastic. They even allowed us to keep on changing our towels if we went to the beach.
The bathroom was modern and quite adequate.
Great location on Serendipity Beach Road just down from the Golden Lions roundabout.
But for this bargain price you don't get complimentary bottled water, but hey who cares, you can buy it across the road for USD .50cents small bottles or USD $1 for large.

There were only 2 bad points, but for the price I was prepared to over look them.
1. The reception was often filled with Khmer men, looking fairly serious. I kept on insisting on saying Good morning to them and they would reply, but they don't speak to you first. So if you guys are reading this review, you need to get rid of all the men hanging around the reception desk, it's not a good look. And be a little more friendlier when greeting guests.
2. There is a nightclub next door to the right called Utopia, it gets very loud at night, so if you are a light sleeper then request to stay on the lefthand side of the complex. We were in the middle on the second level on the front street side and we heard it quite clearly. These rooms don't have windows out to the street, they have a window on the balcony overlooking the central pool within the complex.

But for the price I would definately stay here again, the rooms were quite nice. I didn't eat here because of the other reviews, we chose to eat at nearby restaurants like Bayon, Mick & Craigs and the Reef Resorts Mexican Restaurant.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Not my cup of tea, but for the budget conscious traveler who wants a fairly decent room in the Cambodia version of a motor lodge, this is the place. For $15.00 it's a great deal. There are subtle things that could change this place for the better and add a little character. Add more tropical plants to the pool area, visit the Russian Market in PP and get some cheap additions to the decor and voila... a little character.

The biggest turn off to this place was the indifferent staff, especially the western bartender who thinks Cambodians are living fairly well...afterall... "they are eating" (and this is a direct quote). What an idiot. When we checked in, we could not get out of our room without opening the window and opening the door from the outside. I mentioned it right away and they wanted to wait until morning to fix it. This was unacceptable to me as we would have to leave the door unlocked to get out if we didn't want to go out the window. After a bit of refusal to accept the morning repair, someone fixed it. At any rate, my opinion, Sihanoukville's vibe sucks. The beaches were littered and the western loser drop-outs have taken over the town and have inflicted their bad habits & taste on the locals. They are far more interesting & enjoyable places on the coast of Cambodia.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends